Munich to Innsbruk by train

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9th, 2006, 08:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fodorites: need help on our Austria trip.

We usually fly out of Atlanta for our international flights. There does not seem to be a direct to Austria from any airport in the US so we are thinking of an Atlanta to Munich flight.

Upon landing in Munich we plan to take a train to Innsbruk which is 1.5 hours long according to most schedules. This beats most airport layovers.

The problem is we don't know how hard (or easy) it is to transfer from the Munich Airport to the appropriate train station, and after an all night flight we probably not going to be very sharp. Does anybody have any advice, comments or suggestions?

Thanks,
Greg

Old Jul 9th, 2006, 09:11 AM

I would have thought that Austrian Airlines would fly direct to Vienna from at least one US airport but perhaps I am wrong.

You have three optiosn in Munich:

1) Taxi to the main rail station..at least 40-50 Euros one way

2) S-Bahn...there is a station IN the Munich airport terminal; line S-1 and line S-8 both go to the main rail station...probably takes about 45 minutes

3) Lufthansa bus service assuming it is till running...also can be taken to the main rail station.

You could also leave from the Munich east station..don't confuse yourself...go to the main station downtown.

here's a link to the Munich airport...travel to and from information is there

http://www.munich-airport.de/EN/
Old Jul 9th, 2006, 09:13 AM

BTW...Munich is a good jumping off point for Innsbruck via rail..perhaps even better than Vienna.
Old Jul 9th, 2006, 11:21 AM
Original Poster

Dukey, thanks for the info.

It seems too complicated to get a train just to get to Innsbruck. Is there a plane service that will go from the Munich Airport to Innsbruck (or Salzburg or Vienna)?

By the way, there are direct fights from DC to Vienna, but it is still hard on us. We live in Chattanooga so the route is Chattanooga to Atlanta to Washington DC to Vienna. or 4 total connections to get to Vienna.

If we fly into Munich it is Chattanooga to Atlanta to Munich to Innsbruck. Still 4 total connections, but it might be better to make connections in the USA rather than Europe....

It is hard to figure out the best way, but you information helps.

Thanks
Greg
Old Jul 9th, 2006, 11:35 AM

As a follow-on I assume you have loked at the possibility of code-share flights out of Atlanta.

Train from Munich to Innsbruck takes as little as 1hr 50 minutes on direct, no change, services.

From Vienna you are looking at the possibility of at least four/four and a half hours by rail to Innsbruck.

The connections to Munich to the rail system are really quite easy and you certainly do not need to speak German to make them (if that's any sort of issue).

I do not believe there are any budget flights from MUC to Innsbruck.
Old Jul 9th, 2006, 01:00 PM

Hi VolGreg,

It's really not at all complicated to get the train. I did it a few years ago to Salzburg, and it couldn't have been easier (well, of course it *could* have if somebody were carrying my bag!).

Use "Munich airport" in the scheduler, and you'll get the exact connection information. When I went to Salzburg, I caught a train right at the airport, changed once, then was in Salzburg in about two hours.

You may not be changing at the Munich main station but in another station that's on the way to your destination (as I did for Salzburg).

Good luck!

s
Old Jul 9th, 2006, 01:23 PM
ira

Hi greg,

If you go to www.bahn.de and enter Munich airport and innsbruk you will get the train schedules.

Click "details"

You will see complete instructions, including stations, train numbers and platforms.

It is quite easy.

Have you considered driving from Chattanooga to ATL (about 2:15 hr) and leaving your car at the peripheral parking lots - $9.00 per day.

You might also want to check out limo service.

Have a nice visit.

Old Jul 9th, 2006, 01:26 PM

I second the train idea. I used it to go to Innsbruck and later to Venice - very nice scenery on the road. You are right - the best connection to Innsbruck is from Munich. My daughter flies to Innsbruck all the time on business and she flies to Munich per her - very experienced in international travel - corporate travel department.
Taking an S-bahn train to the main train station in Munich is really easy - you just need to buy tickets and cancel them before you board: watch other passengers and you'll see what they do. Check the German train schedules (on Deutsche Bahn webside - google it, I do not remember the exact link) and if you have a few hours in Munich you could use it to at least take the Sbahn one station to Marienplatz and walk around/have a meal there (leave your luggage at the train station). You could also rent a car and drive to Innsbruck, but if you are tired after the long flight I would not suggest to drive on Alpine roads, while you can take a train and enjoy the scenery. Have fun
Old Jul 9th, 2006, 02:03 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all.

Maybe I am making this harder that it should be. Y'all have eased my mind.

Fodorites came through again,
Thanks
Greg
Old Jul 9th, 2006, 02:10 PM
Original Poster

PS to ira

Driving is an option, but the airport is on the south side of the city and getting through Atlanta traffic is a pain. We usually take a quick flight from Chatt to Atl on a Delta companion and park at the Chattanooga airport.
It is better this way for 3 reasons;
1) parking is cheaper at the Chattanooga airport ($5/day)
2) Going through security at Chatt. is easier than Atlanta.
3) we usually get a $25-$50 connecting flight to Atlanta and avoid the traffic.

Greg
Old Jul 9th, 2006, 03:17 PM

We can debate the bus versus S bahn option at length with no resolution.

I have tried both the S Bahn and the Lufthansa Bus to to connect between the Munich airport and the main train station.

I find the Lufthansa Bus to be the easier means of transportation. Go to the bus stop, wait, pay the driver, put your luggage under the bus in the locked compartment, and ride in.

There is one stop on the way at Nordfriedhof.

The bus company has alternate routes pre-selected if the regular route is blocked for any reason.

The bus runs 3 times an hour.
No change connections leave approximately every 2 hours beginning at 7:30 and continuing until 23:40.
Old Jul 9th, 2006, 03:33 PM

PS, you can connect to Innsbruck via Frankfurt (Main) but the cost seems very high.
Old Jul 9th, 2006, 03:46 PM

Go to http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en and put in Munich Airport for "from" and Innsbruck for "to". You will find that there are connections from the airport every hour (9:02, 10:02, 11:02) by S-bahn, changing at Östbahnhof to the train to Innsbruck. On the odd hours, the trip from Östbahnhof is on a EuroCity express train, and the total time from the airport is just over 2 hours. The fare is €36,40 per person, €72,80 for two.

There are also regional connections (RE, RB). These leave on the alternate hours (8:02, 10:02). You can use these as well, but they take almost an hour longer and cost nearly as much (€32,10 per person, €64,20 for two) as for express train tickets. However, with a Bayern ticket and point to point tickets from Kufstein to Innsbruck, the trip could be done by regional trains for as little as €51,80 for two.

It looks like all connections change from the S-Bahn to the train in Munich East (Öst) station. That's good. The connection is simpler than the Hbf, since the S-bahn and trains use parallel tracks of the same station. Make sure you take the S-8 from the airport.

If you have any concerns, write me at [email protected].
Old Jul 9th, 2006, 04:35 PM
Original Poster

Larry you have been a fountain of information. Let me lean on you again.

Our schedule is such that we will need to leave Vienna to return home. Is there a plane route between Vienna & Munich?

BTW, what part of Colorado are you from?
It is a lovely state....

Greg
Old Jul 9th, 2006, 05:09 PM

Be aware that what Larry is recommending is that you get your train at the Munich <b>East</b> station and <b>not</b> the main station.

This means it might be better if you take the S-Bahn Line #8 as opposed to Line#1. Both of these will take you to the East station but #8 will get you there sooner.
Old Jul 9th, 2006, 05:10 PM

Here's a link for the Munich subway map:
http://urbanrail.net/eu/muc/muenchen.htm
Old Jul 9th, 2006, 05:30 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Dukey you have been a great help also....

Greg
Old Jul 10th, 2006, 06:40 AM

There do not currently appear to be any discount flights from Vienna to Munich. Several websites that coordinate discount flights pointed me to airlines, but when I went there, either the flight haven't started yet, are did not appear at all. Anyway, the trip by train takes about 4 hours, downtown to downtown; you would spend that much time for the entire trip (to the airport, two hour preboard, flight time, from airport) by air. There are selected express trains for which the one way tickets are only &euro;29 per person. The tickets are for an assigned train and are non-exchangeable, non-refundable (like low fare airlines). You can order tickets by phone from Austrian Rail, www.oebb.at, (011) 43 5 1717. You could also buy them for that price at the station in Innsbruck if the discount tickets aren't sold out.
Old Jul 10th, 2006, 08:07 AM

You can find a layout of the Ostbahnhof at http://efa.mvv-muenchen.de/mvv/mvv/ostbahnhof.pdf or at http://www.stationsdatenbank.bayern-...mp;efz=8000262. Every connection from the airport to Innsbruck comes in on track 1 and leaves on track 8. When you get off the S-bahn, go down the step to the tunnel, look for &quot;Gleis 8&quot;, and go up the steps to that platform. Look at the numbers over the platform; make sure you don't get on a train on track 7.

If you are catching the EC, you will have 9 minutes to make the connection, which should be plenty of time. Just make sure you are ready to get off. The previous stop, one minute earlier, is at Leuchtenbergring. There should be a sign with the name of the station within sight from the train, probably hanging over the platform. Just before the S-bahn gets to Ostbahnhof, they should make an announcement, &quot;Naechste Haltestelle, Ost'bahnhof&quot;.

The ECs go to Italy and should have the name of an Italian city (Rome, Venice, Milan, Florence, or Verona) on the destination sign, perhaps spelled in German (Venedig or Mailand) or Italian (Venezia).

There is an S8 from the airport every 20 minutes. If you catch an earlier one, you'll just have a longer wait, and more time to make the connection, at the Ostbahnhof.