Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Is there a train that runs directly from Vienna into the airport in Munich?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30th, 2002, 05:30 AM
Mary Anne Cook

We would like to be able to stay near the airport rather than having to go back into Munich as we have a plane to catch the next morning. Is there a train that goes into or near the Munich airport from Vienna? Also a good place to spend the night nearby.<BR>Thanks for your reply.

Old Dec 30th, 2002, 05:34 AM
No

No, but you can change to the suburban S-Bahn in M&uuml;nchen Ost, a few minutes before M&uuml;nchen Hbf.

Old Dec 30th, 2002, 05:46 AM
No

Correction: the EC trains from Vienna to Munich don´t stop at Munich East.

Old Dec 30th, 2002, 06:17 AM
Bob Brown

I am not sure I understand your question vis a vis the comment about &quot;going back into Munich.&quot; You want to stay near the Munich airport but you are coming in from Vienna? <BR><BR>Yes there are hotels in the vicinity of the airport. With a little looking you can find a Munich Airport Hotel Guide on the web.<BR><BR>Are there trains from Vienna that go to the Munich airport? Not that I know of. The only train that goes to the airport from Munich is the S-Bahn, lines S1 or S8, both of which make a stop in the main train station. <BR><BR>If you take the train to Munich from Vienna, you will arrive at the main station. Then you will need to get from the Munich train station to the airport, which is a non trivial distance.<BR><BR>There are three ways of getting there.<BR>1. Taxi, which is expensive. I don't know the exact fare, but I was told last year that it was 50 euro from our hotel in Schwabing, which is north of downtown.<BR><BR>2. S-bahn, either line S1 or S8. Fare is about 8 euro per person.<BR><BR>3. Lufthansa bus, fare about 9 euro per person one way. <BR>The ride out to the airport in Munich is about 45 minutes.<BR><BR>I find the bus the easiest way to get to the airport. I prefer it to the S-Bahn<BR>because there is a compartment for you luggage whereas on the train there is no convenient place to stash two or three suitcases. Also with the bus, there is no need to hoist luggage around on elevators or escalators. <BR><BR>Last year I rode both the S bahn and bus to and from the airport.<BR>The bus was convenient for me because there is a bus stop near the north cemetary next a a stop on the U6 line.<BR>Our hotel was a block from an U bahn stop, which had an elevator and an escalator. We rode to the Nord Friedhof stop, went to the bus stop, and the bus was there in a few minutes.<BR><BR>I urge you to allow plenty of time to check in and get through gate security because the Germans don't fool around. Most everyone went through the xray machine with their shoes off, and hand luggage was searched. I think we stood in line 2 hours for security, which was in addition to the check-in line. So be prepared time wise.<BR><BR>And be sure to have your passport stamped when you enter Europe. The German Border Patrol official checked my passport for an entry stamp.<BR>Unfortunately, I did not have a stamp because we landed initially at CDG in Paris and the French often don't bother with stamps. The absence of an entry stamp led to questions.<BR>

Old Dec 30th, 2002, 01:04 PM
Mary Anne Cook

Thank you so much for all the information. Maybe I can make this clearer. We are flying into Munich from the US, taking the train from Munich to Vienna to go with a tour group from there to Salzburg, Prague. and Budapest. Then the land tour ends back in Vienna. I have frequent flyer Miles so I am using them on US Air to fly to Munich. After the tour we need to get back to Munich to get our flight the next day. Having just traveled to France and going down to Nice it was so easy to catch the train back to Paris which stops right at the airport, spend the night in a hotel there at the airport, and fly home the next day. I hoped this might work the same way with Munich rather than having to travel to a hotel back in the city. Hope this makes it clearer.