Vienna-things to do/see

Sep 25th, 2002, 06:52 AM
Breeda

Vienna-things to do/see

I will be in Vienna for three nights in November. Never been there before. What should I not miss in Vienna. Where are the good shopping areas? Any info would be appreciated.

Sep 25th, 2002, 07:35 AM
Stephen

My favorite European city! But too short a time I'd say.The best thing you can do is go to this website......www.wien.at.....its got everything.If you see something you'd like to visit,there is an email link and just email them.Be sure to eat a Socchertorte..thro the diet out the window

Sep 25th, 2002, 08:44 AM
lizbeth

Breeda,
With such a short time in Vienna, you'd probably want to focus your activities in the old city center. You won't run out of things to see and do - believe me - and any walk to and from destinations will take you past incredible buildings. The U-bahn is fast and reliable, if you want to go to other parts of the city. I'd recommend seeing one of the palaces like Schonbrunn or the Belvedere - it'll give you an idea of the grandeur of old Vienna. Each day you are there, pick a coffeehouse to sit in, read, collect yourself, and eat a fabulous pastry - it's a civilized thing to do in a city that knows how to enjoy life

Sep 29th, 2002, 02:18 PM
Jim & June

Breeda,

Definately go to Grinzing and spend an evening at a Heurigen (Wine Tavern) for "new" wine, food, music and wonderful companionship. You can get there in about a half hour by taking trolley car #38 from downtown Vienna.

In Vienna be sure to sample the sausages which are cooked in sidewalk grills, also try the charcoal roasted chestnuts from the street venders.

We envy you because November is our favorite time to visit Vienna. J&J

Sep 29th, 2002, 03:13 PM
ira

Hi Breeda
Try to have a coffee and pastry at Cafe Central (Herrengasse 14).

Sep 29th, 2002, 05:30 PM
Wayne

I don't know what you like, but if you like art you must visit the Kunsthistorisches Museum. It's one of the best art museums in the world. You can easily spend a whole day there, but I'd recommend you plan half a day. The downtown pedestrian area known as the Graben is a place where you can wander through shops and restaurants forever. With only 3 nights there, you'll not even scratch the surface; but you will want to return soon.

Sep 29th, 2002, 05:43 PM
Julia

If you like music, visit St. Stephen's on Sunday morning and enjoy the service! Stay near the OpernRing so you can walk out of your hotel and enjoy the city. Schonbrunn (sp?) is a must.

Sep 29th, 2002, 07:03 PM
brenda

We spent 3 nights in Vienna in July. I agree with the others that more time would be nice, but you will have time to see and do a lot. Definitely visit the Belvedere...you may not have time for the whole palace, but you must see the jewels! Also see St. Stephens....go to the top (there's an elevator) and try to get to the Schonbrunn palace. Other than that what we enjoyed most were the (Strauss and Mozart) concerts and the food....we loved the Sacher hotel for coffe and pastries (had to sample the Sacher torte and apple strudel). Also one of the most delightful meals we've ever had was at the Zum Weissen Rauchfangkehrer (the White Chimney Sweep). Oh, and go to the Opera House....There is shopping all around St. Stephens and the opera house.

I understand the boy's choir and the royal horses are two must sees also. Both were not available in July.

Are you going on business or leisure? E-mail me if you want to know more. We had such a great time...we can't wait to go back.

Sep 29th, 2002, 07:27 PM
Linda

If it is at the end of November, you have to visit the Christmas markets--best is at the Rathaus with the City Hall windows lit as an Advent Calendar. Stop at Demel's and have coffee and a torte. Andre Rieu is in town quite a bit and has a nice show. There are some nice shops on side streets just off of Stephensplatz with nice Christmas items. Check nethotels.com for event information as well as hotels. If you want to visit another country, take the 1-hour train ride to Bratislava--nice bargains in crystal, dolls, etc. and capital of Slovakia.

Sep 29th, 2002, 08:56 PM
Jean

Check out the Dorotheum, an excellent Auction House. Have a nice trip!

Sep 29th, 2002, 09:14 PM
student

Definitely go to St. Stephens and take the catacombs tour. Well worth the extra couple of euros.