Reload this Page >

Driving from St Remy to Blois?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18th, 2002, 08:59 AM
CarolineNE

I am trying to finalize honeymoon plans and there is one last bit to consider - <BR><BR>In the middle of our trip, we will be spending 4 nights in St Remy and then 3 nights in Blois. Can we drive from St Remy to Blois in one day (leaving early am on a Sunday in October)? How long would it take? Or should we drive part of the way, stay one night somewhere in between (suggestions?), and then drive on to Blois the next day? <BR><BR>I would appreciate any suggestions -<BR><BR>Thank you all for your help -

Old Sep 18th, 2002, 11:30 AM
CarolineNE

TTT -

Old Sep 18th, 2002, 11:53 AM
mpprh

Hi<BR><BR>its a long days drive, but fairly easy.<BR><BR>There is no direct route.<BR><BR>One way (which makes sense if cruising at 150km/hr on the autoroute) is:<BR>St Remy via N99 to the Autoroute A7, then North via Lyon to A6. Turn off at Chalons, follow: Nevers, Bourges, Vierzon, Blois.<BR><BR>The other way is prettier, but maybe longer, is :<BR>St Remy to Arles via N570<BR>Arles to Montpellier via A54 and A9<BR>From Montpellier signs for Millau, then pick up new autoroute A75 to Clermond Ferrand<BR>Follow Orleans and A71 to Vierzon<BR>Pick up new E-W autoroute signposted Tours<BR>Take N765 Romarantin to Blois<BR><BR>This route has the benefit of free autoroute Montpellier to CF with great mountain views.<BR><BR>However it is a new route and the bridge is not finished at Millau. Expect queues in summer.<BR> <BR>Either way it is about 700km<BR><BR>Think about stopping for a night ?<BR><BR>Peter<BR>http://tlp.netfirms.com<BR>

Old Sep 18th, 2002, 12:01 PM
CarolineNE

Peter - <BR><BR>Thank you Thank you Thank you -<BR><BR>We will definitely follow one of your suggested routes - How long should they take on a Sunday in October?<BR><BR>Do you have any recommendations where to stop overnight? Travel agent had suggested Lyon, but it seems silly to drive from St Remy to Lyon the first day (only 2-2.5 hrs?) and then still so much of the trip the second day...<BR><BR>Thank you again -

Old Sep 18th, 2002, 12:17 PM
mpprh

Hi<BR><BR>I had visitors who stopped at St Flour, and thought it was worthwhile for a visit.<BR><BR>On the other route I've stopped at Macon, and enjoyed exploring the old town for restaurants<BR><BR>Peter<BR><BR>

Old Sep 18th, 2002, 02:50 PM
David

Try looking at one of the road trip planning web sites. I like and use:<BR><BR>www.viamichelin.com<BR>www.shellgeosta r.com<BR>www.multimap.com<BR>www.mappy.com<BR><BR> Some of them will even give you an idea of toll road costs which can be pretty steep in France.<BR>

Old Sep 26th, 2002, 05:03 AM
CaolineNE

Thanks for your replies - <BR><BR>If we do decide to drive straight through from St Remy to Blois, can anyone give an estimate of the number hours? (I am not familiar with the terrain or traffic on a Sunday). Thanks again -

Old Sep 26th, 2002, 06:02 AM
ppp

As said above, it is 700 km (440 mi.), most of which on highways. On a Sunday, 7 hours will be adequate. So if you leave by about 8 AM, and make twice a one hour pit stop, you can still reach Blois by 5 PM. Not much fun, but certainly not too stressing either.

Old Sep 26th, 2002, 01:33 PM
CarolineNE

Thank you thank you! <BR><BR>I will be sure to post a report when we get back...<BR><BR>Thanks again -

Old Sep 29th, 2002, 04:20 PM
steve

Take the road through Clermont-Ferrand but note that it is very windy. Prepare for long bouts of slow traffic - trucks, 18 wheelers driving up and down the twisty mountain roads. It is the only route through the central. Very beautiful drive, but do not rush it. Start early in the morning. Le Puy is a worthwhile stop.

Old Sep 29th, 2002, 10:27 PM
mpprh

Steve<BR><BR>time moves on !<BR>There is Autoroute virtually all the way from Montpellier to Paris these days !<BR><BR>Read about the new road here : http://www.a75.com/<BR><BR>Peter<BR>http://tlp.netfirms.com<BR>