drive from amboise to st remy

Mar 16th, 2019, 10:46 AM
Original Poster

drive from amboise to st remy

We are driving from Amboise to St. Remy. We planned to do it in one day but now we are thinking we should stop on the way and spend the night. Are there any interesting towns or villages where we should stop? Anything to see? Or should we stick with the original plan and drive straight thru. I know its about 6 1/2 hour drive..
Mar 16th, 2019, 11:58 AM

I assume that you mean Sait Rémy in the Provence, there are many Saint Rémy in France. Google gives a route that goes through the Auvergne. Stop overnight in Le Puy-en-Velais and on the way there, visit the church complex in la Chaise-dieu.

Mar 16th, 2019, 02:30 PM

Viamichelin.com is your friend for itinerary planning and route information.
Mar 16th, 2019, 03:05 PM

You must be using Google to estimate times. They are really quite "optimistic" in their estimates. My wife & I spend 2 months traveling in France every year, and I use www.viamichelin.com. I find viamichelin to be accurate to the minute in trips that are 2 1/2 to 3 hrs or less. Longer than that, you need to add time for pottie breaks, back ups at toll booths, stops for food & gas, and the unavoidable "deviation" on highways where one side of a 4 lane road is closed and everyone in both directions are funneled into 2 lanes - 1 in each direction. And you will be traveling at the speed of the slowest truck in front of you. Therefore your 6 1/2 hrs should be budgeted to take 7 1/2 to 8 hrs (viamichelin says 7).

I agree with Michael (except for the spelling) that Le Puy in Velay would be the best stop. We've spent 2 weeks in the Puy de Dome area near Clermont-Ferrand and there are many chateaux, cute villages, and scenic stuff in this region - but you will need to drive a bit to visit 2-4 of these places. Which probably won't be something you want to do after spend 8-9 hours in the car over 2 days. Plan on 5 hrs to Le Puy & then 4 1/2 to St Remy de Provence.

Stu Dudley
Mar 16th, 2019, 03:26 PM

Why drive? It's long, boring, and expensive. Take the TGV from Tours to Avignon, and drive to St-Rémy, assuming you mean the one in Provence.
Mar 16th, 2019, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by StCirq View Post
Why drive? It's long, boring, and expensive. Take the TGV from Tours to Avignon, and drive to St-Rémy, assuming you mean the one in Provence.
I do not consider driving through the Auvergne boring, but that may require getting off the autoroute. Taking the TGV means that you miss the opportunity of seeing sights in-between such as le Puy.
Mar 16th, 2019, 04:51 PM
Original Poster

yes, I mean the St. Remy in Provence. Sorry I wasn't clear.