Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Has anyone used EDDIE MANNING- in LONDON for airport private car service?

Sep 28th, 2002, 09:56 AM
Andy

If you know of this man, please let me know of your experiences--

The regular company that eveyone has given me, RAY SKINNER, is UNAVAILABE on BOXING DAY-DEC 26- Ray is CLOSED and OFF XMAS AND BOXING DAY---

I found EDDIE MANNING On another website and wondered how he was--

All help will be greatly appreciated!
Thanks

Sep 28th, 2002, 11:42 AM
xxx

Can't you take the Paddington Express on Boxing Day?

Sep 28th, 2002, 12:06 PM
Susie Q

Eddie also works for Ray. I was booked with Ray in July and Eddie and his wife picked me up for Ray.

Sep 28th, 2002, 01:01 PM
Rex

I used the "famous" Eddie, back when he was "Eddie the Chauffeur" of www.chauffeur.co.uk - - he had some good press in the the times.co.uk - - but he went on to sell his business, if memory serves me correctly.

Maybe he is in back in business with Ray Skinner - - or someone else.

He was great for us back in 1998 - - we had his associates for the way "in" - - and Eddie himself and one other driver for the way "out".

Best wishes,

Rex

Sep 28th, 2002, 01:55 PM
Lori

Well, it looks as if Andy made contact with Ray (several of us, including myself, told him he'd get an answer) but from his Upercase (shouting) typing it appears to me he may be a little annoyed that Ray is taking off Christmas & Boxing Days .. Well, everyone takes time off and I'm sure Andy does too. I also believe Eddie contracts out to Ray and he may also be taking the holidays off (people do, particularly those with families). I am sure there will be black cabs someplace at Heathrow, afterall planes are landing even on the holidays. If not a cab, how about the Heathrow Express? If none of this works check out a company called Swiss Cottage Cars, Patrick who writes regularly on this forum also recommends them. We once used a company called Ambassador Cars. Don't be surprised if none of these companies are working on Christmas Day or Boxing Day tho. Not much is open or running inthe U.S. on Christmas Day either. The tube runs on Boxing Day I believe (at a reduced schedule) so perhaps (and this is a real extreme alternative) Andy could stay at a hotel at Heathrow for Christmas Day if that is when he is arriving and go into London on the 26th. Not ideal, but an alternative just the same.

Sep 28th, 2002, 02:35 PM
Andy

Rex- thanks loads for the nice compliment on Eddie Manning- He is now at [email protected]...

He is working on BOXING DAY--

to Lori- No, I wasn't shouting- I was just trying to get someone's attention since I heard from Ray and he said he was not working Xmas and Boxing Day-
Since there would be 5 adults, we wanted a private car/mini-van.
I am not an idiot-I know people take off for holidays---that is why I am going to London and Paris--BUT I needed to know who was working on Boxing Day since I HAD to book air now-and was trying get all my eggs in a row before I left the states....Tube is not an option with 3 kids and 6 pieces of luggage plus spouse.

thanks for the heads up on Swiss Cottage Cars--

Sep 28th, 2002, 02:45 PM
Patrick

Ah yes, Swiss Cottage Cars. Great service at a consistenly low price. This summer it was still 25 pounds to meet at Heathrow and deliver to any address in central London, while most of the other companies seem to keep going up and up. They also picked us up in Covent Garden and took us all the way to Luton airport for 35 pounds. But no web-site, you must phone: 207-431-2700. One other thing -- they normally do not have mini-vans or other means for 5 people and excessive luggage.

Sep 28th, 2002, 05:18 PM
Rex

Nice (I think) to learn about Eddie's return to the business - - I almost wonder if he bought his own business back again. I swear that the Toyota minivan on the limo.co.uk website is exactly the same as he picked us up in, four years ago! (At least identical color - - or of course, he might be just recycling a photo). the website chauffeur.co.uk now re-maps to a company called euro-chauffeur.co.uk - - seems like they might be his competitor now.

With any luck, both are good.

Sep 28th, 2002, 05:46 PM
xxxxx

We have used euro-chauffeur several times and found them extremely reliable, and they had vans as well as limousines. However, I have no idea if they would be working on Boxing Day.

Sep 28th, 2002, 06:01 PM
Lori

OK, Andy I accept that you weren't shouting, but on this forum, and many others, Uppercase normally means "shouting". I'm glad you made contact with Eddie, now you can relax & plan your trip. Try not to stress so much (I'm the ultimate planner but I have learned that sometimes you can over-plan and need to just accept things and go with the flow and accept the fact that some things will be inconvenient). It sounds like you have your transportation problem solved, now just think about sightseeing and relax. Incidentally, we have been to both London and Paris at Christmas time in past years, on the plus side is there are a lot less tourists and many of the local people are "on holiday" elsewhere too so things are not so crowded, on the minus side is the fact that some things are not open, or reduced hours, and it gets dark very early (like 4:30) so it can cut into sightseeing time.

If you and the family are into theater I'd recommend Lion King for the kids if you have not seen it. Personally we did not care for it, but kids seem to adore it. Don't get front row orchestra seats tho (we did) - you need to be back a ways for this show. I'd also recommend My Fair Lady and Mamma Mia if you have not seen them - great family shows. Also recommend Wagammama's (noodle restaurant) for families, it's a fun place for all ages.

As for Paris (if the kids are small and if the weather is not too cold) there is a playground on the Champs de Mars near the Eiffel Tower where the kids can let off steam. The Champs Elysee is beautiful at night, the trees are lit with tiny white lights - very magical.

Enjoy the trip.

Sep 28th, 2002, 08:29 PM
Andy

Lori- Kids are 16,20,and 21--

I was thinking of Mamma Mia since that is the music of Abba--

Any other theater suggestions for good musicals or comedies woulde be fine-

Thanks

Sep 28th, 2002, 08:34 PM
Jan

Are these your grand-children?

Sep 28th, 2002, 09:52 PM
xxxxx