Vienna question

Old Oct 30th, 2006, 12:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vienna question

Hi all,

We will be in Vienna at the end of our river cruise, December 10-13, 2006. While doing some research, I found this dining option (see below). Has anyone done this? What are your thoughts/opinions?

Thanks for the info. If you have any other must go to restaurants, please let me know!

Denice

Riesenrad: A View of Vienna with Culinary Delights

The Riesenrad ("Giant Ferris Wheel") in the Prater is one of Vienna's top landmarks. And Vienna is also famous for its cuisine. Therefore, it only stands to reason to combine the two. You may want to enjoy not only the spectacular view of the city on your ride but also a variety of excellent delicacies....
You may choose between a genuine Viennese Imperial Breakfast, afternoon coffee and cake, champagne and canapés, or a romantic dinner for two a three-course prix fixe menu with wine. Starting from 142 € for two persons, you can enjoy a pleasurable evening in one of the exclusive carriages. And it does not have to be nightime the carriages are available any time by prior reservation during the hours of operation.

The Riesenrad, open all year, takes you 64.75 meters up in the air. It was built in 1896-97 by the British engineer Walter Basset. Today, it also offers an attractive adventure world: At the entrance area, a "panorama" tells the story of this monumental steel wheel and the City of Vienna.

Old Oct 30th, 2006, 05:41 PM

It is possible to take such trip.
I would have trouble eating and looking at the same time. If there is a long line, the wheel stops frequently to let people on except for the "waggons" in which people are eating.

I guess you could eat when the cabin you are in drops down to the bottom of the circle.
Old Oct 30th, 2006, 05:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Plan on a l-o-o-o-o-o-o-n-n-n-g dinner. The thing moves incredibly slowly. Hope you don't mind cold food.
Old Oct 31st, 2006, 08:18 PM

If you want a great meal without bells and whistles go to Steireck in Stadtpark, the center of Vienna or a great dinner at the Imperial Hotel. More casual fare is available too, but for the best, check these out.
Old Oct 31st, 2006, 08:32 PM

Give a small thought that you might be up to your bottom bracket in snow. It snows in vienna often, and it gets really deep.

blackduff
Old Nov 1st, 2006, 01:04 AM

I wouldn't spend money on that...

Remember that there are no toilets in the carriages either...