Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Please Comment on my itinerary for Vienna

Old Mar 29th, 2005, 06:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It has taken me a long time, but I think I have a somewhat workable itinerary for our short trip to Vienna this April. We will arrive in Vienna mid-day on a Sunday(coming from Prague) and leave early morning on Wednesday for Budapest. That does not give us much time so I have tried to cram a lot in! We are two adults and 2 teens. You will note that we are spending, what I think is an inordinate amount of time seeing the Lippizner's, but it was a request from one of the kids. The other just wants to see museums and churches! So, please, give my your comments and thoughts. We are staying at the Kaiserin Elizabeth.
Sunday
1. St. Stephan's Cathedral
2. Tram #1 or #2 tour around inner ring
3. Wander Stephansplatz, Graben, Kholmarkt
4. Possibly fit in KnustHausWien Museum as it is open until 7.
Monday
1.Hofburg Palace for Imperial Apartments; Lippizaner Museum and Imperial Treasury (I don't think we have time for the other museums there)
2. Opera to catch a tour
3. Kunsthistorisches Museum
4. Try for Standing Room tickets to the Opera and then just stay long enough to get a feel for it; or arrive late for end (Rick Steve's advice).
Tuesday
1. Spanish Riding School for horses practice - can I get tickets in advance?
2. Schonbrunn Palace
3. Possibly go to Museum of Applied Arts (Osterreichisches Museum)as it is open until midnight.

I wanted to fit in the following but could not find a way: Kaisrgruft and Karlsskirche.
Also, we could use recommendations for restaurants.

From what I can gather the Vienna card is not worth it for us as we will not be using that much public transportation - do you agree?

Thanks for any help you can offer.
Old Mar 30th, 2005, 03:20 AM

Hi
for a 2.5 day trip, you'll end up deleting some things on your list, so I'd prioritize before going.
Schonbrunn is easily good for a half day, and that's not counting the gardens.

Your hotel can order tickets for the Lippizaner practices, or you can order on line.

The Hofburg, even just the areas you mention, will take a couple of hours, as will, minimally, the Kunsthistoriches.

Not far from St Stephan's is the Jesuit church--very beautiful. Ditto the
Capuchin church, which contains the royal burial crypt in the basement.

I have a file on Vienna with restaurants; if you'd like to see it, email me at
[email protected]
Old Mar 30th, 2005, 03:32 AM

It sounds like a good and ambitious list. Please relax a bit and take some time to walk, wander and enjoy the streets and people.

While in Vienna don't forget to go to dinner at Figlmueller, Baeckerstrasse 6 for the best and biggest Weinerschnitzel on earth! You should also allow some time to stop in a few coffeehouses and cafes as there are the heartbeat of Vienna.

For a nice dinner in a gourmet restaurant try the Zum Weissen Rauchfangkehrer, Weihburggasse 4 - (http://www.weisser-rauchfangkehrer.at). Its expensive but a treat.

If you would like to read my Vienna trip report go to ...

d=2&tid=34428134&numresponses=72&start=0&searchTex t=vienna+richardab
Old Mar 30th, 2005, 03:34 AM

oops I posted that link wrong...

http://fodors.com/forums/pgMessages....enna+richardab
Old Mar 30th, 2005, 05:10 AM

Second Elaine's suggestion to have a wish list for each day, starting with the most important. We found after doing Schonbrunn and gardens in the morning that we were up for a non-museum thing in the afternoon, and so went on an excursion to the Vienna Woods. As an alternative, you could spend more time just wandering (worth it, as richardab said.) Plus, you will likely enjoy having time to absorb and reflect on the stuff you'll have seen in the museums.

Enjoy Vienna.

Given that time is short, I'd pick either the Imperial Apartments or Schonbrunn. I would most definitely NOT skip the Imperial Treasury, it was the highlight of Vienna for me (and the audioguide was fantastic).

Agree that you can do better with a 72-hour metro pass instead of the Vienna Card.
Old Mar 30th, 2005, 07:00 AM

I agree with the others. Your itinerary sounds fine if a little ambitious. I would try planning some more downtime. Part of Vienna's charm is strolling the streets and taking in the ambiance, stopping at various cafes for coffee and pastries or desserts, which are fabulous.

Tracy
Old Mar 30th, 2005, 09:08 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for all of the advice. I am going to re-think some items on the planned itinerary based on the comments. I know that we will only be in Vienna for a short time, but we all really want to visit Schonbrunn. We took the kids to Paris a couple of years ago and they loved Versaille. So we are keeping that in the itinerary. I do however think that we will take out the Imperial Court Apartments. And we will put the Kunisthistorisches Museum on a 'reserve' list. We will get there if we can. The kids have visited a lot of art museums and I think that could skip it. I do have a question though, does it make sense to visit and wander Stephansplatz, Graben, Kholmarkt and Karnter Strasse on Sunday? Possibly a weekday would be better? Anyother Churches we should add? And does anyone fell strongly about seeing the Hapsburg Crypts? Thanks, Suan

Old Mar 30th, 2005, 09:55 AM

Hi
IMO the two must-sees were Schonbrunn and St Stephan's. Ater that comes the horsies--really beautiful.
Since you are there on a Sunday, you could consider the Vienna Boys Choir, but you have to sit through the mass (It was less than 90 minutes, don't recall exactly). Or how about Sunday at Schonbrunn? The restaurant there, not the snack bar, but the restaurant, has wonderful apple strudel by the way.
Though I never met a strudel I didn't like.

Some shops were open on Sundays, not all, but the cafes and pastries are always available. Vienna didn't strike me as a great shopping city anyway. You could spend some of Sunday at the Hofburg, and then walk around the area, it could include the Habsburg crypt (not a must-see imo, but interesting). Active churches will be busy with services on Sunday mornings, so you'd have to go to the ones that are just historical sites.

The Kunst museum was excellent if you all appreciate the old masters; if you'd like to see some Klimts you can go to the Belvedere (another palace complex) or spend a mere half hour in the Secession building (a 10 minute walk from the Opera house).
Old Mar 30th, 2005, 01:10 PM
Original Poster

Okay, based on everyone's comments I have revised our itinerary. Any comments on the revised itinerary?

Sunday
1. Arrive in Vienna around noon
2. St. Stephan’s Cathedral catch an afternoon tour
3. Tram #1 or #2 tour of the inner ring
4. Monument against War and Facism
5. Wander around Stephansplatz, Graben, Kholmarkt

Monday
1. Hofburg Palace Complex – Lippizaner Museum and Imperial Treasury
2. Walk toward Opera – have lunch on the way
3. Opera for tour
4. Wander Karnter Strasse
5. If possible quick visit to Kunsthistorisches Museum
6. Possibly get standing room ticket for Opera to stop in and see a little

Tuesday
1. Spanish Riding School/Lippizaner Horses Practice
2. Schonbrunn
3. Museum of Applied Art in evening (it is open until midnight)

I would like to fit in Karlskirche – is it possible? And we have dropped the Imperial Apartments because we are seeing Schonbrunn, however we will fit it in if we find the time. Still too much? Thanks for the help, Susan
Old Mar 30th, 2005, 02:13 PM

It's quite easy to do the Graben, Kaertnerstrass, Stephansplatz and Kohlmarkt walk in an hour or so (including a little window shopping) as they are all short streets.

Karlskirche is near the Karlsplatz Ubahn stop on the U4. Maybe on your return from Schoenbrunn (also on the U4 line), you can work it in. It is also quite beautiful at night. I would definitely include Schoenbrunn even if you have to delete something else. The gardens should be lovely in April. Also, if you walk up to the Gloriette behind the gardens, you will be rewarded with a fabulous view of the city.

My restaurant suggestion is the Griechenbeisl on Fleischmarkt. It dates from the 15th century and has had many famous patrons over the years. They also have good food and are located next to the beautiful Greek Church which is worth a peek if open. You can get info on the Griechenbeisel at their website:

http://www.griechenbeisl.at/lang_en/page.asp/974.htm
Old Mar 30th, 2005, 03:01 PM

Hello Susan56,
Agree with elaine about the Hofburg being much more time-intensive than anticipated. I stopped in the Hapsburg armor and weapons collection first thing, did not come out for an hour and a half. It was that enthralling. And this is coming from someone who breezed through the King Tut exhibit in 40 minutes.