Vienna - laundromatt

Old Jun 13th, 2006, 09:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vienna - laundromatt

My travel companion is in Vienna and in desperate need to have a load washed. Can anyone recommend a service or laundromatt near city center? (The hotel won't provide this service)
Old Jun 13th, 2006, 10:55 AM

My advice is for her to ask her hotel staff to direct her to one. They are few and far between, I don't remember seeing any on our trips. She could also go to the Vienna Tourist center, behind the State opera house and inquire there.
Old Jun 13th, 2006, 11:10 AM

Operaman-

I wouldn't direct anyone to the Tourist Info. Center in Vienna-I asked the woman (in German) some weeks ago where the American Express office was located (it's a small sign and is located in a building)-she got this snippy attitude and said she had no idea-turns out it was about 100 yards away from the Tourist Office on the main shopping drag Kaertner Strasse-she acted like she couldn't possibly know where that was-I was really ticked off about that.

I'd have the hotel find one for your friend.
Old Jun 13th, 2006, 11:23 AM

Laundromats are very thin on the ground in the city's core. Your friend will have to venture out a bit. The hotel should be able to find one for you...if they can't or won't, pop into an Internet cafe and ask somebody who works there...they're usually students (or student age) and will know where one is.
Or, at worst, have him/her contact the American Women's Club (fawco) in Vienna, they list them in their Living in Vienna book (which isn't available online, alas).
http://www.awavienna.com/contact.html
Old Jun 13th, 2006, 12:20 PM

Spygirl;
I've never had a problem at the tourist office. Everyone I talked with was very helpful and polite. Maybe you went in on a bad day.
Old Jun 13th, 2006, 12:26 PM

No, it didn't really have anything to do with being polite-they just didn't know where the Amex office was located-and it was 100 yards away!
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 02:53 AM

Most in Vienna, have facilities at home or use a laundry service to have laundry done.Not many self wash places.

Several laundry places in the city center- they wash, dry and fold for you.
Gottschalk
Singerstrasse 22

Sofortdienst
Postgasse 15

Plachy Tuchlauben 12

A new one recently opened on Herrengasse very near to the Hofburg-
do not have address

People tell me a self washing place exists at
Seibensterngasse 52
in the 7th district - not far from city center- I do not know anything about it.

Regarding AMEX office and Vienna Tourist office-

I have always found the Tourist Office to provide good information with friendly atmosphere when I have been there with guests.
I have no idea what happened with poster asking about the location of the Amex office.
It has been at the same location for many years , serves thousands and has an easily seen sign.
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 04:14 AM

Molker, the self-service place you referred to is, I believe, Bendix Laundrette? It was at that address. But a Vienna-based colleague says he thinks they've closed.
However, if they are still open, their hours are (or were) 8-6 on Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday; 8 to 4, Wednesday; and 8-1 (pm, not am) Friday. Closed week-ends. Their (old) phone number is/was: 523 2553
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 04:24 AM

A quick check for that address has it operating under a new name, hopefully it's still self-service:
http://web2.cylex.de/firma-home/pete...g-4370910.html

Another source is listed below, but some of them cater to commercial clients only:
http://web2.cylex.de/suche/oesterrei...cherei-s1.html
Old Jun 15th, 2006, 02:42 AM

The next time I am in the area I will have a look for this place on Seibensterngasse- excuse to eat at the restaurant -brewery nearby.

I have also found it much easier to have laundry done at the regular places as mentioned in my prior posting- just drop it off and pick up. To me, a tourist with limited time wastes valuable sightseeing hours watching for his/her laundry to wash and dry.