Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Anyone tried the World famous Viennese Sachar cake?

Apr 22nd, 2005, 06:54 PM
Original Poster

I'll be in Vienna next year, and I've read alot about that cake! is it really that good?
Apr 22nd, 2005, 07:01 PM

If you search ubder Sacher Vienna you will find lots of advice. I have never been tempted myself -- but others have and generally report disappointment. Dryness and dullness seem to be besetting failings.

Some recommend alternatives available locally. Some allege curtness by hotel and/or restaurant staff.

BTW: If you rent The Third Man, which everyone should see before visiting Vienna, you will note that the "British Army hotel" in the British Zone is the Sacher.
Apr 22nd, 2005, 07:19 PM

A lawyer friend of mine reported back from Vienna that they're in dire need of torte reform.
Apr 22nd, 2005, 07:25 PM

Picture a cake made from sawdust with layers of felt between and icing made from dark chalk. Got the picture? Ok, well, Sacher Torte isn't quite that good.
Make sure you get lots of coffee to wash it down. The coffee will be the best part.

Apr 22nd, 2005, 07:45 PM

Yes indeed, the SacherTorte may be the most famous of Viennese cakes, but is certainly not the best. I prefer a simple apricot-filled krapfen (donut) or apfelstrudel with strong coffee. I tried the Linzertorte years ago. It was much better than the Sacher.
Apr 22nd, 2005, 07:54 PM

Don't listen to them, mnss, Sacher tortes are a wonderful dessert. The real torte's cake-like layers are made with finely ground nuts, not flour, and the layers alternate dark, semi-sweet chocolate with a citrus-y apricot. There's little, if any, flour in a real torte. The people who have posted here have described a cake, not the real torte.

And the best Sacher torte EVER was to be had at Friederich's on York Avenue in New York, somewhere in the upper 70's. I had good Sacher Torte in Austria, but nothing to compare to Friederich's.
Apr 22nd, 2005, 07:55 PM

I think Patrick's description is a written work of art. Nicely done.

I'll never forget my first bite, after much ballyhooed fanfare. From the look on my face, one would have thought I had bitten into a burnt piece of the Sahara Desert.

Given the fact it's very hard to hide my honest feelings and my facial expression always gives me away, it's no surprise the woman who told me "it's the most fabulous dessert on earth" no longer speaks to me.

I've never been fond of dense desserts and I particularly don't enjoy dense, moist-less cake, which explains my unwavering love for alcohol-soaked genoise. When it comes to cake, especially chocolate, I turn to the French each and every time.
Apr 22nd, 2005, 07:58 PM

The one I'm describing is the one that I was served at the Sacher Hotel, the place where it was "invented". Yes, kswl's physical description of it is right, but I was simply describing its taste -- the dryest thing I ever tasted. Maybe the place in New York has vastly improved on the original which is the one I had -- like maybe they figured a way to make it moist?
Apr 22nd, 2005, 08:01 PM

I serond the sawdust comment but in the past felt that jet lag may have compromised it. However the coffee in Vienna was so wonderful I have forgotten the vaunted sacher torte. Plus our server was forgiving as we slumped in our chairs....
Apr 22nd, 2005, 08:01 PM
Original Poster

Thanks you guys!

If the Sacher is not that good then why the hell is there so much publicity about it not only on the web, but also on every Vienna guide book that I've read!(3)

Even Rick Steves said on PBS that he would just go to Vienna to taste it!! Now I know why he never got a raise to the Travel Channel !!

I am kind of disappointed now! and they'd better have some other good chocolate dessrerts in Vienna to make up for this!
Apr 22nd, 2005, 08:02 PM

yes, I've tried it -- not at the Sacher hotel but at another famous cafe in Vienna.

I agree with Patrick. I didn't much like it at all.
Apr 22nd, 2005, 08:03 PM

You're probably right about that--there are many wonderful chefs in NYC who specialize in taking tired old standbys and making them fresh. A properly prepared torte is actually quite moist, as nuts are about half oil. You should give it another try, Patrick, maybe somewhere outside Vienna.
Apr 22nd, 2005, 11:12 PM

I agree, I tried it at the Sacher HOtel and it was dreadful, the torte that is. I thought it was just an old torte that was being pushed on me because I was a tourist. I'll try it again when I am an old tart.
Apr 22nd, 2005, 11:47 PM

I hate Sacher Torte.
Pick something else--you'll have plenty of choices.

One of my fondest memories of Europe is sitting on the steps of a bridge over the Grand Canal of Venice, eating pastries we'd purchased in Salzburg the afternoon before. (we took the night train) I was definitely in heaven.
Apr 23rd, 2005, 04:13 AM

I haven't tried Sacher Torte - but I wonder if it isn't best enjoyed in combination with coffee...?

Think about a couple of other famous baked goods: the biscotti and a traditional scone. If you had been reading about how delicious these were and then came upon them and took a big bite, you would probably think about the biscotti, "What is the big deal about this rock-hard cookie?" - and about the scone , "Well, this is just a big, dry biscuit (American) with a few currents." However if you eat these goodies as intended, dunking the biscotti in your espresso to soften it and infuse it with the flavor, and having the scone slathered in clotted cream or butter & preserves with an exceptional cup of tea - then you start to appreciate their popularity.

Just some thoughts...
Apr 23rd, 2005, 04:23 AM

Hello mn:

I too share the negative views on the Sacher Torte, but I suggest that you try its competitor, the Imperial Torte, which may be had at the Hotel Imperial and its sister, The Bristol. I found it so good that I sent one back to a friend in the U.S. where the shipping turned out to exceed the price of the Torte. Oh well. Gradyghost
Apr 23rd, 2005, 04:24 AM

I have been served Sacher torte at the Sacher Hotel in Vienna, at Demel's (also Vienna) and in Baden, Austria, where it truly originated. And never liked a single bite. It's arguably the world's most over-rated dessert. But fortunately, there are zillions of other pastries to enjoy in Vienna (or elsewhere in Austria) that are far better and will make you forget all about that dry, nearly tasteless upstart. (If you do insist on eating Sacher torte, make sure you have it with lots of whipped cream and something to drink so you can wash it down.)
Apr 23rd, 2005, 04:53 AM

Have never had the PLEASURE of eating or tasting the above mentioned, but can only imagine it (and maybe better that way), however last year in Croatia had the most wonderful cake like dessert they say they are famous for and after the first one, each evening called for an encore. Halfpint
Apr 23rd, 2005, 06:26 AM

Agreed that Sacher torte is to be avoided - dry and tasteless - esp bad at the Sacher. But other pastries are wonderful - make sure you get wwhatever it is mit schlag.
Apr 23rd, 2005, 06:47 AM

Well, we like it!

Yes, it'd drier and less sweet than American-style cakes. Austrian desserts are meant to be eaten with lots of Schlag and coffee. Doesn't mean anyone is "wrong" if they don't care for it-it's just a matter of personal taste.

BTW- "torte" doesn't always mean nuts are involved, though they often are. The original Sachertorte does't involve nuts.

~Liz

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO