Vienna accomodation? Best area to stay?

Old May 9th, 2005, 05:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vienna accomodation? Best area to stay?

Hi Vienna experts! I'm travelling to Vienna as a solo female for a weekend late July. Would like help on choosing accomodation. Only concern is safety and location. Budget is ideally under 80EUR per night but can pay up to 100EUR. Which area is the best to stay at for easy access to sights? Has anyone stayed at Best Western Hotel Erzherzog Rainer? Is it good? Thanks a lot! = )
Old May 9th, 2005, 06:27 PM

I have not checked prices recently, but we stayed at the Hotel Carlton Opera. I liked the room because it was air conditioned. Those buildings trap heat and the whole city is a heat island -- its own micro climate.

The breakfast is fantastic there. Absolutely first class.

I think the area is safe. As a general rule, cities like Berlin, Munich, Paris, Zürich, Vienna, Copenhagen, Helsinki, and several others are much, much safer than American cities. Of course you need to use caution, but compared with downtown Atlanta (near where I live) there is a world of difference.
Old May 9th, 2005, 07:35 PM
Original Poster

Hi Bob, thanks for the info. I'll have a look at this hotel. Around where is it located? Just wondering whether its easy to get to the sights as I'll only have a weekend to see Vienna thus would like to stay as centrally located to sights as possible!
Another question - are most of the sights in Vienna (say those within Ringstrasse) within reach by foot? Or do I have to catch public transport? Cos i'd like to know whether staying near a U Bahn stop is important! Many thanks!! = )
Old May 9th, 2005, 07:49 PM

Since you will be flying around Vienna, a few words on the transit system. The ring road around the old city has two tram lines running in opposite directions around the ring at five minute intervals during the day, Within the ring, bus lines cover the area--get the map from the transit company office at the Opera stop of the metro. The metro system involves lots of stairs and escalators so its convenience is a little misleading, You can walk this whole area but it is a lot of mileage. Enjoy my favorite city!
Old May 9th, 2005, 08:54 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the useful info guys!
So far I've came across three hotels thta looks pretty close to what I'm looking for in terms of price, location and amenities.
Best Western Hotel Erzherzog Rainer
Hotel Carlton Opera
HOTEL SCHWEIZERHOF VIENNA

Would appreciate comments on these hotel so I can make a decision. Any other suggestions are appreciated as well!! Thanks again!

Payant- another question on commutation - are u suggesting that its better to use to public transport instead of exploring the city on foot since I have so limited time? Is U Bahn the way to go? (Is that like a tube in London?) Or the buses?

Old May 11th, 2005, 03:14 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Old May 11th, 2005, 05:56 AM

tripadvisor.com may have a review of these properties.

We stayed at the Mercure Zentrum, about one block from St. Stephen's, for 60 dollars US double on priceline. We got advice from biddingfortravel.com. You'll have a great trip. We enjoyed using the tram--nice views and helpful Viennese.
Old May 11th, 2005, 06:44 AM

Hi Chelsea – I am a female and traveled alone to Vienna last May. I stayed at a hotel I found in Austria’s Fodor’s book and I was very happy with the choice. You can read about it there. The hotel is called Zur Wiener Staatsoper. It is walking distance(3 minutes) to the Opera house. It is a great location and right next to the famous pedestrian zone. It was a convenient location. I care a lot about safety and I was out till midnight every night and never felt alarmed. This is a small charming hotel, IMO. I think the price was around 100 or 120 Euro but I am not certain and might have been lower.
Old May 12th, 2005, 09:48 PM
Original Poster

Thanks a lot guys for your very very useful tips!! One last question though -
Graf Stadion or Zue Weiner Staatsoper? Both are reasonbly priced. I'm not sure which is a better location in terms of convenience and safety. Any comments appreciated!! = )

Thanks again! = )
Old May 12th, 2005, 09:54 PM
Original Poster

Also Pilgrim, Thanks for suggesting the Mercure Zentrum. Looks like a very well located nice hotel. The price, however, is a bit more expensive than the other 2 choices. Do you have any idea about the location/quality of the other 2 hotels? I am prepared to pay a little extra if you guys think its worth the extra bucks... thanks guys!! = )