Via Di Panico apartment in Rome

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20th, 2005, 01:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone stayed at this apartment near the Piazza Navona? We have made a reservation therough"sleepinitaly." It sounds very nice, but I haven't read anything about it on Fodor's. I generally like to have the approval from Fodor's. Everything else I contacted that was mentioned here is already booked for Otober. Looking for reassuranced. Thanks! P.S. I am so responsible for the happiness and wellfare and comfort of the rest of my crew. Ya'll know that feeling, I'm sure.
Old Apr 20th, 2005, 02:18 PM

If you put "Via di Panico" in the search box above, you will find some info.

A poster named ecat has stayed there, and liked it a lot.
Old Apr 20th, 2005, 06:00 PM
Original Poster

Thanks LAwoman, I had read those. I was hoping for a little more specific information. Thanks anyway.... Maybe I will hear from someone who has recently stayed there.
Old Apr 20th, 2005, 06:49 PM

"It sounds very nice, but I haven't read anything about it on Fodor's."

"If you put "Via di Panico" in the search box above, you will find some info."

"Thanks LAwoman, I had read those."

Huh?

Old Apr 20th, 2005, 06:50 PM

OK I am going to be a jerk and not answer your question but post unsolicited info.

1. Great location -- we stayed very very near there last month in via dei Coronari, also rented through sleepinitaly -- a very satisfactory experience

2. What I particularly want to share with you is this: As I recently posted, via di Panico appears prominently in the 1948 film "Bicycle Thief" -- it is the scene where the hero confronts the neighbours and family of the epileptic thief who took the bicycle that the hero's job depends on.

Very poor neighbourhood then -- nice now.

But really if you love Rome you must rent that film and check out via di Panico!!!
Old Apr 21st, 2005, 02:03 PM
Original Poster

Patrick: Please, for your benefit, let me rephrase that sentence. As soon as I heard from LAwoman, I immediately went to the threads that she recommended. When I posted back to her I should have said, "I just read those posts and I am looking for more specific and more current information." O.K.? Don't be so snippy! I am looking for information, not a critic.
Old Apr 21st, 2005, 02:04 PM
Original Poster

Tedgale:, Thank you for the great information. I have made copies for the entire party. Shanart
Old Apr 21st, 2005, 03:13 PM

Hi shanart

I think I can help you. I stayed in this apartment in November '04, and really enjoyed it.

There was plenty of space for the three of us. How many people will be in your "crew"? The downstairs bedroom has two beds, and there is an upstairs loft with two beds. There is one bathroom with a shower. It has a tiny, tiny kitchen, but it has the basics, a gas burner, coffee pot, fridge and freezer. Plenty of cups, plates, silverware, etc. The owners provide you with plenty of towels and sheets. If you use washcloths, you may want to bring your own. You may also want to bring a couple of extra pillows.

The living room is lovely with high ceilings and windows that look out onto Via di Panico. The couch is a little threadbare, but comfortable. My only complaint is that there is no alarm clock, and they gave us one set of keys for the three of us.

You should know that the loft has lower ceilings. I'm 5'6", and found myself crouching a little bit when I was up there.

The location is wonderful! It is a very easy walk to the Vatican, also Campo dei Fiori, Piazza Navona, and the Pantheon.

There are also good restaurants nearby. One is right around the corner on Vicolo del Curato called Le Streghe. Another is on the way to Piazza Navona called Osteria del Pegno on Vicola di Monevecchio.

I would stay there again. It's a nice apartment in a terrific location. Sleep in Italy was a very good agency to work with.

Hope this helps!

Gracie
Old Apr 21st, 2005, 04:10 PM

shanart: I know you read my March post but here are the local restaurant recommendations again for that neighbourhood, incl. Osteria del Pegno:

Cantina del Vecchio, v. dei Coronari 30
www.cantinadelvecchio.it

Absolutely first rate in its class. Dined there twice -- we REALLY wanted to go back, which is something we seldom indulge for fear of disappointments.

No disappointement here. Service is really personable. Obviously a neighbourhood favourite. Smart-casual dress, clientele ditto. Lazio cuisine; "serious-about-the-food" but folks were having fun too.

Around the corner: simpler but still very good Osteria del Pegno, vicolo di Montevecchio 8
Tel/fax: 06 68 80 70 25

Finally: Ristorante Montevecchio, Piazza di Montevecchio 22a
Tel. 06 68 61 319
Well-known and well-loved by guidebooks (see Frommers). We expected full house and lots of tourists but quite the contrary. Very simple room on a tiny square.

Excellent food: I cannot quite describe this but...You know how you can TELL when a chef or owner has absolute confidence in the menu and the food and generally just KNOWS what he is doing? That is Montevecchio. Plus, when there was a negligible delay in getting us our bill, we were offered our choice of liqueur on the house (we had said nothing -- it was just a grace note)

Also noted in the neighbourhood but we did not get around to sampling them. So based on close scrutiny of the menu and the room I would say these "merit your attention/investigation":

Santa Lucia: largo Febo
www.santalucia-bartolo.com
Just west of P.za Navona; beautiful rooms

Pierluigi: Piazza de'Ricci, 144
www.pierluigi.it
Recommended with urgency and conviction by a nice lady in our building; it is on Via Monserrato near P.za Farnese.

Old Apr 22nd, 2005, 05:00 AM

Oh, one more thing you should probably know. On the ground floor of the apartment building, there is a statue restoration shop. This wasn't really a problem for us, because most days we were already up and sightseeing before they started work, and back at the apartment at night after they closed. They are closed on weekends, of course. But if some people in your party are late sleepers, they may hear some hammering, so be prepared.
Old Apr 22nd, 2005, 09:31 AM
Original Poster

Gracie04: Thank you, that is exactly the information we wanted. There will be four people in this apartment. We have never stayed in an apartment in Rome before, and I just want my friends to be comfortable. Actually, I want them to think I did a terrific job with their location, apartment, restaurants, planning, etc. etc. Thanks, again Tedgale: You have come through once again and we sincerely thank you as well.
Old Oct 11th, 2005, 05:31 AM
Fig

Hi,
I have to say that we stayed in this apartment in 2005, and it was a very bad experience. The agent arrived late and the cleaners were still in the apartment 7.45pm. he was extremely rude and questioned the amount of people staying in the apartment, we had booked for four but he said it was only booked for three (I had all emails referring to four). There was no linen for the forth bed and eventually he sorted something out having left us waiting for over half an hour. The apartment inside was 'shabby' and then we had no toilet facilities at all! We tried all the cellular numbers we were given but no one returned our calls......
I would not reccommend this apartment, especially if you have children.