Verona Train Station

Search

Verona Train Station

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13th, 2005, 12:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Verona Train Station

We have 11 minutes to change trains in Verona. Is this a small station and will that give us enough time? This will be our first time in changes trains. Marge
Old Feb 13th, 2005, 01:03 PM

it's a relatively small station with few tracks connected by an underground passge. A change of tracks will involve a minute or two--down the stairs, a few seconds along the corridor, then up the stairs.
Old Feb 13th, 2005, 01:09 PM
ira

and to add to ellenem's good advice, about 5 min to figure out which track.

Old Feb 13th, 2005, 01:37 PM

That's fine as long as your first train is running on time. If it's running late, then you might miss your connection and have to take a later train. Be prepared for that possibility.
Old Feb 14th, 2005, 06:54 AM
GAC

There are actually TWO underground passageways which connect the tracks at Verona Porta Nuova (one at each end of the Station, and there are a total of 12 tracks).

There are also elevators for use by the handicapped and others who wish to avoid the stairs (one elevator per track). Sometimes, one or more elevators may be out of service.

11 minutes to change tracks is ample, as long as your first incoming train does not arrive late.
Old Feb 14th, 2005, 02:56 PM
Original Poster

We are taking the 10:22 out of Venice and it's the first train to Verona. The Trento train leaves at 11:51.

If we are late arriving in Verona is there any problem with getting on the next Trento train at 12:24.

Thanks for the great advise.

GAC - thanks about the elevator.
Marge
Old Feb 14th, 2005, 04:01 PM

There should be no problem taking the later train if that is necessary; if you reserved seats on the one you may miss then just get on the later one and look for any unreserved seats.

The train to Trent may very well be one that originated in Rome. Verona is a big transfer point for a lot of people so hopefully you won;t have trouble finding space (to sit).

Do you know the procedure for finding out which track your connecting train is leaving from once you arrive in Verona?
Old Feb 15th, 2005, 06:13 AM
GAC

Marge: both the 11:50 and the 12:24 trains from Verona Porta Nuova to Trento are "Regionale" trains, so either is fine.

Let me explain: when you purchase your combined ticket from Venice to Trento, the fare you'll get will depend on the category of trains which the reservation system automatically generates. In your case, your first train (Venezia S. Lucia to Verona Porta Nuova) is a Eurostar Italia (ES). The train from Verona to Trento is a Regionale. You'll be paying a fare calculated on the basis of this combination of trains.

However, if the train you IN FACT board from Verona to Trento were an Intercity or a Eurostar, and your own ticket comtemplated the use of a "Regionale" ticket, you would NEED to change the ticket at the Verona Porta Nuova Ticket Counter, or you'd pay a PENALTY of 8 Euros, plus the difference in fare (2.99 Euros), for being on a category of train different from the one paid for originally. This happens not infrequently, and I myself witnessed someone next to me fall in this trap (he had to pay 11.99 Euros to the ticket agent on the train).

But you will not have this problem, as long as you take either the 11:50 or the 12:24 train to Trento.
Old Feb 15th, 2005, 06:15 AM
GAC

In my posting above, 11.99 Euros should read 10.99 Euros!!!!!
Old Feb 15th, 2005, 06:28 AM

There is no Eurostar service to Trento.
Old Feb 15th, 2005, 07:06 AM
GAC

There is indeed Eurostar service to Trento (I know, I've lived there recently). In fact, there are two DAILY Eurostar trains between Bolzano and Rome, both of which stop at Trento. The Eurostar is the fastest train between Trento and Rome, and is extremely popular amongst locals.

Marge will be taking a Eurostar from Venice to Verona, then connecting to a Regionale train from Verona to Trento, a perfectly fine combination. Done it myself.
Old Feb 15th, 2005, 04:21 PM
Original Poster

Intrepid1- QUOTE- Do you know the procedure for finding out which track your connecting train is leaving from once you arrive in Verona?

Please tell me I haven't found it yet on http://slowtrav.com/italy/trains/station.htm

GAC or anyone who knows: Below is another quote. Do they have this in Genoa, Rome, Florence and Venice?

QUOTE - "On the platforms there are also boards that show the same details you can read in the main "departure" board of the station, including delays, for the train that is going to stop (or is already stopped) at that platform".

Marge
Old Feb 16th, 2005, 06:23 AM
GAC

marge: Here's how it works:

1. When you alight from your incoming train at Verona Porta Nuova, go to the Departures Board found near the center of the track platform, where you'll see a huge poster (under a glass cabinet covering) listing all departing trains out of the Verona Porta Nuova Station. Note that the this Departures Bboard is neither electronic nor analog; it is a paper poster! (Don't confuse it with the large analog departures board inside the station itself, similar to what is found in airports)

2. Look up your connecting departing train. You'll find listed the departure time, departure platform, and intermediate stations prior to final destination of that train, together with relative arrival times. Bear in mind that sometimes, the departure platform actually used is different from that noted on the poster board. Tracks can be switched at the last moment. In this case, the new platform is announced over the loudspeakers (many travellers can't hear the announcement or aren't paying close attention).

3. When you arrive at the connecting platform (via the underground tunnel), the OVERHEAD small analog board on the platform should reflect the final destination and departure time of the connecting outbound train. Be careful not to be confused: if your own destination is not the FINAL destination of the outbound connecting train, look for the FINAL destination to be listed on the analog board (with the major intermediate destinations noted in small digits underneath). For example, if your final destination is Florence, but your outbound connecting train's final destination is Rome or Naples, expect to see "Roma Termini" or "Napoli Centrale" on the overhead analog board on the platform. Underneath, in small letters, you may see "Firenze S.M. Novella" (or an abbreviation thereof) listed as well, but this is not always the case.

4. FYI, these large poster boards on each platform are ALSO found in the two underground corridors of the Verona Porta Nuova Station which connect the 12 tracks to each other.)

5. What's an easy way to locate the poster boards: watch where large crowds of people congregate: they are all looking to find their own connecting trains!

6. The foregoing information is valid as well at most other major Italian rail stations. Poster boards showing departing and arriving trains are found at every train station in Italy (although in tiny stations, there may be only ONE such board located outside of the waiting room of the station itself). Only large-to-medium sized stations have airport-type departure and arrival analog poster boards within the station itself. More commonly, there are small television screens inside the station as well, in station restaurants, coffee shops, and waiting rooms, which show departing and arriving trains.
Old Feb 16th, 2005, 09:49 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again. Could someone please look up and see what the final destination of two Trento trains # 2258 and # 10926 for 29 April from Verona?

I can't get into Trenitalia website for two days. I hope it's working by 19th when I have to buy my Genoa to Rome tickets. Many Thanks. Marge

Old Feb 17th, 2005, 02:29 PM
Original Poster

Found the destination on bahn.de. but they are not listing the connecting train to Trento #2258 only the other one.

Can anyone else from the States get on
Trenitalia.com?
Old Feb 18th, 2005, 06:43 AM
GAC

Final destination of these trains is probably either Bolzano or Brennero.
Old Feb 18th, 2005, 08:26 AM
Original Poster

the train site is working. Thanks for all the help it sure will save us a lot of misery. Marge