train from Mestre to Padova

Old Jun 24th, 2008, 04:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
train from Mestre to Padova

Hello everyone I am back again asking for more help. I will be staying overnight at the Holiday Inn in Mestre, during the day I would like to visit Padova, I was told I could go by train but I have no idea where and what train to get. I appreciate your help on this.
Old Jun 24th, 2008, 05:03 PM

From Mestre's train station, take a train to Padova. It's a pretty short ride, about 20 minutes on an R train, and costs less than €5 each way.

This website

http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/hi/...transportation

says the hotel is about 2 miles from the hotel to the train station.
Old Jun 24th, 2008, 05:33 PM
Original Poster

thank you ellenem
Old Jun 25th, 2008, 07:16 AM
ira

Hi t,

Go to
www.trenitalia.com/en/index.html
for all trains in Italy.

Old Jun 25th, 2008, 09:07 AM
Original Poster

Ira I went to that website thank you, but I need to know if there are different trains? how would i know which one to get? I'm sorry for the ignorance but I have never been in a train station before.

thanks again
Old Jun 25th, 2008, 09:16 AM

For Pisa from Mestre you want to take a regional train and not an ICE or ICp (INC Plus) for which you need reservations in advance and which can cost much more than dirt-cheap regional trains that are just a few minutes slower.

All trains leave from the same Mestre train station. You do not need schedules - they go incessantly - just turn up at the station and buy your tickets. The automatic ticket machines are idiot-proof, since i could use them, and apparently take all American credit cards and all is in English - avoid a possible wait in lines at ticket windows.
Old Jun 25th, 2008, 09:21 AM

tribi,

It really is as easy as PalenQ say. However, here's an ecellent website that explains all about the Italian train system.

http://www.slowtrav.com/italy/trains/index.htm

The only other big issue for you: when a train is posted on the Departures board, it will feature the time of departure, train number, and FINAL destination. If Padova is not the final destination, it probably won't be listed. Watch for the correct train number and time.

Another way to verify: when you're at the station, there are large Partenze/Departures posters that list every departure in order of time. You could look for you train on the list, which will show the final destination--it will also list ALL the stops the train will make along the way.
Old Jun 25th, 2008, 09:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1. Go to Trenitalia. Print out all train connections on the day and times you'd like to depart from your destinations. (If you find trenitalia difficult, you can also use sbb.ch)

2. Arrive at the train station with enough time to buy your RETURN tickets.

3. Go to the board with departures (not arrivals). Find the train that leaves with the same time as on your printout. Note the platform.

Quite often, departures are noted with a large city as end destination. This does not mean that your train will not stop at destinations in between. If you have chosen a "regional" train, it will stop at all trainstops. This is the difference between regional and intercity trains.

Also, intercity trains are more expensive than regional trains.

4. Go to the platform and board the train. Make sure you get a second class wagon if that's the ticket you bought. The trains are usually 3-10 minutes at the platform before departure time.

5. Sit back and enjoy!
Old Jun 25th, 2008, 01:29 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much for your help