Best hotel in venice to catch a early train to lucerne

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9th, 2009, 05:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be going to Venice in March for 2 nights. I want to "experience Venice" but am worried about getting to the train station for a 0830 train to Lucerne. How do I get to the train and any suggestions for a hotel. The Concordia was recommened highly. The Albergo al Gambero, Hotel Violino d'Oro, Hotel La Residenza, and Hotel Bollini are ones I have thought about. Would appreciate your reply.
Old Feb 9th, 2009, 06:17 PM

It's an easy trip on the vaporetto to the train station from where ever you decide to stay.

I stayed at La Residenza the very first time I went to Venice more than 20 years ago. You post brought back some fond memories.

thanks.
Old Feb 9th, 2009, 06:29 PM
Original Poster

How early do the vaporettos run? I want to take either the 0630 or the 0830 train. Also, how early would I have to get to the train station? Would the 8:30am train be better? How much are the vaporettos to the train station? Any other suggestions on a moderately priced hotel? So many questions...so little time.
Old Feb 9th, 2009, 06:39 PM

How early do the vaporettos run?
They run all night, but o a reduced schedule.

I want to take either the 0630 or the 0830 train. Also, how early would I have to get to the train station?
10 minutes ahead should be enough. 15-20 minutes if you are unfamiliar with the station.

Would the 8:30am train be better?
To me it would. Who wants to get up at 5AM on vacation?

How much are the vaporettos to the train station?
One ride is 6.50 per person

Here's the vaporetti website where you can see schedules.
Old Feb 9th, 2009, 06:39 PM

forgot the link:

http://www.actv.it/english/navigazio...iffe_vaporetto
Old Feb 9th, 2009, 09:12 PM

Choose a hotel in Cannaregio or San Polo, and it will be easy to walk to the train station. I stayed at La Forcola which is a 10-12 minute walk from the train station.
Old Feb 9th, 2009, 10:42 PM

A few years ago we had the same problem, so our family chose to stay at a hotel near the train station. It was a nice hotel in an old abbey (http://www.abbaziahotel.com/en/index.htm). It is right around the corner from the train station (2 minutes walking?). No waiting for the vaporetto or anxious moments that early. It worked for us!
Old Feb 10th, 2009, 02:43 AM

Your post brought a smile to my face as I remembered our trip to Venice last February. We were heading to Rome for a night before our flight home and wanted as much time in Rome as possible (had been there before). I booked a 7 am train. We were staying near St. Marks and decided the night before we would catch the vaporetto at the Rialto Bridge, saving a little time. If you see a map of Venice you can see how this 10 minute walk can save time.

Because we knew the "streets" would look different in the early morning we did a trial run the night before, which included me making notes to make sure we didn't take a wrong turn.

That early trip brings smiles everytime we think about it. There we were at 5:30 am walking the quiet, dark streets of Venice. It was magical. We arrived at the vaporetto stop in enough time to have a cappuccino and pastry. While enjoying our breakfast a group of Italian workers swarmed in for their morning expresso and were gone in the blink of any eye...they were served and finished that fast.
We just looked at each other and smiled....Italy!!!

Thank you for reminding me of this special moment during our trip. I know others couldn't imagine such an early departure.

You'd have no trouble with an 8:30 train. If you want the 6:30 and don't want to use the vaporetto, you always have the option of a private "taxi".

Have a wonderful trip.
Old Feb 10th, 2009, 06:09 AM

Another vote for Abbazia hotel. We have stayed there a number of times and really like it. Great location if you plan to do day trips by train, or catch an early train. It's two minutes to the station or vaporetto stops. Nice breakfast with some outdoor courtyard seating, and a fantastic staff.
Old Feb 10th, 2009, 09:34 AM

8:30 is not early, you can get there from anywhere as stated already.

But if you want to just walk, comfortably on level ground, no bridges etc., stay at the

http://www.hotelrossi.ve.it/eng/contatti.html

which is just down the street from the Santa Lucia station, in a courtyard set back from the street- no frills, no elevator, but nice and quiet and - when we were there - good value.

Look up the address at http://maps.google.com/
Old Feb 10th, 2009, 09:40 AM

One more vote for Hotel Abbazia -- good hotel, good location. Good luck.