Search

French Trains

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19th, 2009, 12:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
French Trains

I will be taking a train from Barcelona, Spain, to Carcassonne, France, via Narbonne, France. We have a very short layover in France. I only speak a smattering of French and am worried about locating my train upon arrival in Narbonne. Is it best to use the train board and look up the train number? I know sometimes the trains are listed by their final destinations, and I'm unsure where these trains finally end. What's the quickest way? Thanks.
Old Mar 19th, 2009, 01:08 PM

I haven't been in the Narbonne station, but it can't be very big. But yes, you can match the train number on the board. You can also ask a station attendant. There will also likely be little plaquards at each quai with the train number, train departure time, and all the intermediate stops.
Old Mar 19th, 2009, 01:16 PM

Trains are always shown on the station departure board in time sequence. Know the departure time and look for your train. Then confirm it is the right train by looking at the stops it makes. All stops are listed on the buff colored departure poster. Don't worry about the train number.

FWIW, a train from Narbonne to Carcassone would most likely be continuing on to Toulouse.

The site http://tinyurl.com/eym5b explains almost everything you need to know about trains in Europe.

Caution: Barcelona has more than one train station. Your train departs from Sants.
Old Mar 19th, 2009, 01:21 PM

I've been to Narbonne, and the train station is manageable. Lots of trains list the major intermediate destinations, also, on that board, and I would think yours would. But if you know the time of departure, that should be pretty specific also, although you should know the number.
Old Mar 19th, 2009, 03:46 PM

While the RER and Métro in Paris list direction by final destination, trains are usually listed by their number. The Narbonne train station is not that large and connections should be very easy. If you have a problem just ask someone. Most of the station personal even in Narbonne speak sufficient English to be of assistance.
Old Mar 20th, 2009, 11:32 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your help. I feel more confident now. Marilynh