Search

Verona opera

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11th, 2018, 12:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Verona opera

I plan to visit Verona for 2 days / 1 night in mid-August, and one thing I would like to do is attend the opera. If you have done this, please let me know if I can wait until I'm already in Verona to buy tickets or whether it would be better to buy my tickets online. I prefer to have seats near the stage, but I'm concerned about spending a lot of money because the opera website says tickets are not refundable if they have to cancel at the last minute due to bad weather. Also, are there places to buy tickets other than the arena?
Old Jun 11th, 2018, 01:25 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You will get a much better seat selection if you buy the tickets on line. You can get them directly at www.geticket.it Go to the top of the opening page and pick English from the "Lingua" drop down.

Now, as to the cancellation policy: The performances usually start around 9-9:30 in the evening. The Arena reserves the right to delay the start of any performance for up to 60-90 minutes in the event of rain and we have experienced this more than once unfortunately. Once the performance is underway there are no refunds. Last year we were in the middle of Turandot when the rain began and that was that: we went back to our hotel. It is a chance one takes.

I would very very strongly recommend you get tickets as close to the stage as possibe as they are worth every penny. Acoustics are good and Verona has finally begun using supertitles in English which makes things much more enjoyable.

I'll be there again in a couple of weeks. Let me know if you have other questions.
Old Jun 11th, 2018, 03:03 PM

I'm not an opera fan, but I did attend Aida at the arena in Verona. I opted for the cheap seats, purchased ahead of time. I wouldn't do it again, but as I said, opera is not my art form. If I were to do it, I would take the chance on expensive seats in chairs. Just my two cents.
Old Jun 11th, 2018, 04:58 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
A second vote for seats in chairs.
Old Jun 12th, 2018, 07:56 AM

I would be interested in why "I wouldn't do it again" (see above): seats too hard (didn't choose to rent one of those cushions); seats too far away/bad acoustics; simply didn't like the whole thing (which is VERY understandable since this is not for everybody)
Old Jun 12th, 2018, 04:00 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The cushions help, but no back support is difficult for long sits.
Old Jun 12th, 2018, 05:28 PM

Jean, I understand. Verona always announces at the end of every performance that people should not throw those cushions onto the Arena floor. IMO you would have to really love opera to sit up there but the seats in the "orchestra" are not cheap as I am sure you know. Some days I am not completely sure why we keep going almost every year but we do. Admittedly there's nothing like the venue, despite the rain, the threats of rain, the more or less same performances, etc.
Old Jun 13th, 2018, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by Dukey1
I would be interested in why "I wouldn't do it again" (see above): seats too hard (didn't choose to rent one of those cushions); seats too far away/bad acoustics; simply didn't like the whole thing (which is VERY understandable since this is not for everybody)
Oh, sorry, I just saw this. Why I wouldn't do it again: As I said, opera is not really my art form, although the performance was good. We were on the arena stones, and of course we rented cushions, but without back support I was very uncomfortable. It was also quite hot in the arena. Sight lines were good, but we were far away, even though we were there early and grabbed the best stone seats we could.

My next opera, if I attend, will be in at least a folding chair with a back.
Old Jan 13th, 2019, 12:15 PM

We are going to be in Verona the first week in September and thinking about attending an opera. Even though we are not opera fans we think the experience would be interesting. Which opera would you choose for the first time-Carmen or La Travita? Dukey1 also mentioned subtitles in English and wondered how they would be viewed?
Old Jan 14th, 2019, 06:14 AM

La Traviata if you want to hear/see a Italian opera
or
Carmen if you want to hear/see a French opera.

The libretti are rather easy to understand. You may load down the stories in the web.
Old Jan 14th, 2019, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by neckervd
La Traviata if you want to hear/see a Italian opera
or
Carmen if you want to hear/see a French opera.

The libretti are rather easy to understand. You may load down the stories in the web.
It is very difficult to choose between La Traviata and Carmen. Both Varian are beautiful!
Old Jan 14th, 2019, 12:25 PM

The Verona surtitles are projected onto large screens above and to the left of the stage. They can be seen from everywhere easily. As to which opera and assuming you aren't interested in/cannot stay for Aida (which will be MUCH more spectacular than either Carmen or Trav) I think it is a toss-up. My Husbear adores Carmen (I can take it or leave it) . Get the BEST seats you feel you can afford.
Old Jan 14th, 2019, 02:44 PM

Dukey1,

Our choice is either La Trav or Tosca~my mistake, We could stay an extra night for Aida on Saturday night with the gold seat tickets available on September 7th. I know it's a risk with rain.....would you?
Old Jan 14th, 2019, 06:04 PM

Let me tell you again about "the rain." The Foundation, as I said above, reserves the right to delay any performance start for up to 90 minutes because of rain threats. We have sat in our seats, with umbrellas, waiting for a shower to stop. Once the threat passes the show goes on. BUT, once a show has begun and rain commences the performance is halted, the musicians grab their instruments (the harps are another matter) and make a mad dash for the exit. There are no refunds.

Would I take the chance? Absolutely would, especially for the usually over-the-top staging of Aida. I have yet to hear Tosca at Verona and would love to and the Gold seats are good. Enjoy it. Oh and BTW don't be put off by the blurb about dressing properly for the Gold seats..you'll see about every mode of dress altho men often wear at least a jacket.
Old Jan 14th, 2019, 06:40 PM

Thanks Dukey! I will give you an update on our experience and happy travels to you in 2019!