Search

Verona opera

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 08:59 AM
jordan

Verona opera

Is it worth the trip to go to Verona for the opera? And if so is it worth paying up for the better seats?

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 09:37 AM
kathy

YES! And I am not even an opera fan. But seeing Aida in the arena in Verona was just a magical experience--even if part of the stage was obscured by a column! My husband also really like the experience and that has been the one and only opera we've every seen. The acoustics is also quite amazing. We were seated in the proletariat section and had no trouble hearing the pages being turned down in the orchestra pit.<BR><BR>Regarding the seats, the cheap ones really can get uncomfortable. My husband and I disagree about whether we should've splurged more. I thought that the uncomfortable seats were actually fun because the people around you were interesting and more lively. The seats closer to the stage looked more comfortable but did not have the same atmosphere. Just think of seats at a baseball game. <BR><BR>Go and have fun!

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 09:52 AM
Patrick

We splurged for the most expensive seats -- fully cushioned and about 8 or 10 rows back in the center. They were about $150 each, but we figured for a one time splurge why not? Unfortunately the performance was rained out -- so I can't comment on it. <BR>One comment I have gotten a lot however, is that many people in the "cheap seats" are there for the "party atmosphere", not for the opera. Many people have to move because those around them talk nonstop throughout the performance, drink themselves silly and make total fools of themselves. This isn't a football game, it's an opera!!

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 03:00 PM
claire

Try putting Verona & opera in the search box. There've been a fair number of posts recently on this. I heard Rigoletto last August at the Arena & it was great fun. We chose the unreserved (gradinata) section close to the stage and were parallel to the conductor. Great vantage point. We did not have a problem with noisy people around us at all. Everyone was into the oepra. Believe it or not, a storm quickly came up right before the storm Verdi wrote into his opera. Talk about atmospheric! So, we had a 20 minute rain delay. Upon resumption of the opera, one of the singers altered his words to refer to the actual storm we'd just had, & the arena went wild. As they did at the "big moments." There were several times calls for a bis, and the singers obliged. Very interactive atmosphere between stage & audience, which to me is the essence of Italian opera. If you sit in the unreserved area, DO rent cushions as you come in the gate! And, remember to pick up the free candles everyone lights when the first notes are heard at dusk. Magical. We ordered our seats over the website and all worked perfectly.

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 03:55 PM
sue

Hi,<BR><BR>My husband and I arrived in Verona five years ago on opening night of the opera. We did not even know the opera season had started. We got tickets for the grand stand and had a wondeful eveining. On opening night everyone is given a candel and the whole arena is sparkling. It was one of our best surprises while traveling. I would go again.

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 07:41 PM
tonyccc

We went to the Opera in Verona last year.<BR>The 1st night we sat in the cheap seats, way up high but near the stage<BR>(definitely rent a seat cushion)and saw<BR> Nabucco. The 2nd night we had expensive seats (about 15th row)on the arena floor and saw Aida.<BR>Both performances were outstanding, however we preffered the cheap seats.<BR> At the urging of some people we met,<BR>we took a picnic lunch to the 1st nights performance, complete with wine (the no glass bottles allowed rule was broken by many of our fellow audience members)<BR>So yes go to the Opera.<BR>They have a good website www.arena.it<BR>Get the cheap seats<BR>Have a ball.<BR>

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 03:06 PM
mike

We have 'cheap' seats for Aida July 21. We read that we should get in line early (6pm or so), not allowing time to eat at a restaurant. Is that true? If so, do they sell food there? Can you bring food/drink? Advice?

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 04:38 PM
claire

Mike, you've got it right. You do need to stand in line about 1 1/2 to 2 hours in advance of the time the gates open if you've got the cheap seats (ie, unreserved gradinata section seats). We did that last August as I noted above. And wouldn't have missed the experience for anything! So, you have a very late lunch, and/or wait till after the opera to eat (yes, the restaurants ARE open for that purpose) or eat while you are in your seats waiting for the opera to begin. People do bring picnic dinners AND there are vendors selling food and drink and programs and rain ponchos. Sometimes the vendors lead people in singing...depends. Lively & fun. <BR><BR>The reason you want to be in line early is to be as close to the gate as you can get. When the gates open, there is a MAD DASH in & up the stairs to the seats (actually, of course, stone bench seating). Best ones go FAST! Squatters rights prevail. If you are in a gradinata section like "B" near the stage, take care not to get BEHIND the action. We were across from where the conductor stood, and it was perfect for us. The orchestra sound was undistorted and we could see nearly all of the staging for that production. You may miss too much if you are sitting level with the scenery.<BR><BR>When the gates open, ideally, there will be two of you and one goes flying up the stairs to claim two seats while the other stops just inside the gates to rent seat cushions (stones get uncomfortable after awhile, and can be hot from sun, wet from showers, cold if the temp drops. RENT!) and to grab a couple of free candles. It is tough for one person to "claim" and hold on to more than one or maybe two seats for others left behind in the dash, so be practical in who does what. And, be forewarned that there are "hall monitor enforcer" types who WILL make you move if you try to sit in an "aisle" in a good area where all the seats have been taken. Have a great time! Aida should be fun. Wonder if they still bring on the elephants in the Triumphal March?

Old May 9th, 2003, 02:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We're planning to go to the opera in Verona and sit in the cheap seats. Can someone confirm that the &quot;dress code&quot; is limited to the expensive seats?
Old May 9th, 2003, 05:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Casual clothes are fine. Obviously, the weather when you are there will affect what you wear. As will where you intend to go immediatley before and after the opea. In the unreserved gradinata area, MOST (there are exceptions to everything!) guys wear lightweight casual long pants and a short sleeved shirt and sometimes they carry a jacket of some sort in case it gets cool or rains. Women generally have on lightweight long pants or long loose skirts with summer tops. In other words, most people are wearing what you see Italians wearing while strolling around a piazza in any Italian town in the evening. Basically casual, but nice looking.....After all, you'll be clambering around &amp; sitting on stone benches. If rain showers are in the forecast, plastic ponchos are sold by vendors. It's like a baseball game....except without the cut offs and tank tops.