Favorite active European vacation?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 9th, 2003, 01:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We just returned from 10 days in Bali with our paragliding group, and hubby says that he really prefers active vacations (paragliding often involves carrying a 15KG pack up a hill).

So, to keep us both happy, now I'm trying to plan more active vacations in Europe! Anyone have favorite active trips they've done (or heard of)? I eagerly copied Gail's message about hiking Mt. Vesuvius (not interested in too much hiking, but if I can use that to get hubby to Pompeii, great!). I'm interested in maybe biking in Provence - any other ideas?

Thanks, all!
Old May 9th, 2003, 01:36 AM

How active do you want to be? A good source of many different activity holidays is Britain's Association of Independent Tour Operators (www.aito.co.uk)

Without wishing to be too personal, your message reads as if hubby is rather keener on the serious exercise than you. One compromise might be ATG, (www.atg-oxford.co.uk). They organise walking holidays in Europe's best bits, with excellent guides, and even better food and drink. They carry your bags between overnight stays, and even arrange things so you don't have to carry much water.
After the last one we took (in the Dordogne) we were off foie gras for a year, we ate so much of it. NOT cheap, but you get exercise, gourmandise and as much culture as you want all at once.
Old May 9th, 2003, 04:17 AM

Hi,

One thing on my travel "wish list" is to bike through Portugal. Although I don't have the names of the tour companies handy (try a google search), I know there are tours where you bike from town to town and stay in castles every night. That's what I want to do.

Biking in the Netherlands is also very big. And there is always skiing in the Alps!
Old May 9th, 2003, 05:19 AM

I do know how you can beat a week of hiking, paragliding, etc. in the Berner Oberland--staying in Grindelwald or Wengen. The best of the Alps.
Old May 9th, 2003, 06:48 AM

There's paragliding and hanggliding at Schwangau near Hohenschwangau and Neuschwanstein castles.
Old May 9th, 2003, 07:36 AM

In addition to biking, you can paraglide, canoe, kayak, rock climb, horseback ride, balloon, and cave in the Dordogne. And there are plenty of golf courses and tennis courts, too.
If kayaking interests you, you might also consider the Gorges du Tarn and Gorge de l'Aveyron.
Old May 9th, 2003, 02:15 PM

Favorite active European vacation? Easy! SKIING!

Of course, its only as active as you want it to be. I take a long lunch (with wine) and take multiple coffee, juice and hot chocolate breaks throughout the day.

Europe is so walkable too. I think it would be possible to walk from village to village in Provence and Tuscany (if you're fit and you avoid the summer heat). When we were in Provence in March we walked from St. Remy to the 2 Pre-Roman sites at Glanum with a straw basket filled with yummies bought that morning in the St Remy morning market. After touring the site (very interesting sites, by the way) we sat and had our lunch.
Old May 9th, 2003, 06:16 PM

My personal fave now is planning my vacations around the dates of marathons in Europe....and then running them. you know, there is nothing like exploring a city on foot, so why not see 26 miles of it in just a few hours running? OK OK it's not for everyone. But I think if you center your vacation a specific event, that will make it all the more meaningful! Plus you get a souvenir shirt!