Search

Venice to Paris

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29th, 2012, 01:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Venice to Paris

We are two couples in 50s going on a Meditteranian Cruise from Barcelona to Venice for 12nights in late June.
Looking to Travel up to Paris by rental car, but wanting and see parts of Austria, Germany and Switzerland.
Is this possible with 8 nights available?
Or Is rail a better alternative with less countries involved to directly get to Paris for a stay of three nights.
Need some advice from seasoned european travellers.
Thanks
KW
Old Nov 29th, 2012, 03:18 AM

That is about an 11 hour drive - straight across northern Italy and then France. If you want to head north through Austria (Innsbruck) and Germany (Munich) and then back down through Switzerland, you are looking at more than 16 hours without even including time to get off the main highways.

The drop charge on the rental car will probably be hundreds of dollars and some agencies likely won't allow a one way rental of that distance.

With 8 days you could certainly travel by rail and make some stops - perhaps up through the Dolomites to Munich via Bolzano/Brixen/Innsbruck. The options are many. You should probably decide how many nigths you want to stay in each stop on your 8 days, then decide where you really want to go between Venice and Paris and then try and figure out a route between those places that makes sense. It is likely that the places and the route will chane quite a few times as you go through the process.
Old Nov 29th, 2012, 03:52 AM

Is three days in Paris sufficient?
Old Nov 29th, 2012, 04:38 AM

Three days in Paris is never sufficient.
Old Nov 29th, 2012, 05:31 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Three days in Paris? Our 1st trip was 4 days and we returned for our 9th this Sept.

Paris is a very easy city to explore and three days is will let you see enough to want more.
Old Nov 29th, 2012, 05:43 AM

Aha!! YOu read between the lines.
Head for Paris to cap off your trip.
Old Nov 29th, 2012, 10:37 AM

And the 11 hour drive won't be pretty even in summer. Northern Italy can look much like I-95 in the US northeast. Road construction, tolls and speed traps. And no matter how well you plan, there are always back-ups and delays. Trains are a better option and since there is two of you, one can keep an eye on the luggage when the other attends to needs. On the highway you won't get a chance to see little villages and lakes and there is seldom a chance to stop along the major highways - except in traffic. The Alps thru a windshield just doesn't do it - although the rest stops in Switzerland have the best scenery of any rest stops in the world, and good food too. Just head straight for Paris - there are never enough days for Paris. I've been in Germany for more than a year and not yet been to Paris. I should be arrested and deported.
Old Nov 29th, 2012, 11:29 AM

If you want to fly directly from Venice to Paris then easyjet.com offer cheap one way fares.

If you want to travel via Austria, Switzerland or Germany (and stop somewhere for a couple of days) then this website will give you options of starting a journey from Venice.

http://www.seat61.com/Europe-train-tickets.htm#Italy

A couple of days in Switzerland or southern Germany would be a nice break of journey before catching another train to Paris
Old Nov 29th, 2012, 11:45 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
My guess is that with 4 mid-age adults going on a 12 day cruise, there's going to be a LOT of luggage involved. AND there are no cars in Venice, proper.

So while I might ordinarily say it would be a better deal to rent a car over taking the train, based on the above, logic dictates that you'd be better off taking the train from Venice. Not to mention Aramis' valid comment about the drop-off charges.

That could be done either with the night train to Paris on the relatively new Thello (I've done this a few times on the older trains and LOVED it!); or pick ONE stop in Austria, Switzerland or Germany, and train to that stop for a few nights; followed by another train to Paris.
Old Nov 29th, 2012, 06:15 PM

If you want to go 'luxe, there is always the Orient Express from Venice to Paris with no train changes...

For about 1/4 as much you could get an Eurail pass which would allow you to choose any city to break up the trip plus provide free transportation for day trips (for example Munich to Fussen, Munich to Salzburg, Munchen to Bamburg, etc.) I believe the Saver Pass will not be valid for France in 2013 and the standard Eurail pass is more expensive than the Saver pass. But remember the hassle of getting luggage on and off the train if you plan to stop at multiple cities between Venice and Paris...

Or you could buy single trip tickets which would be even cheaper IF (1) you know the exact travel itinerary and dates and (2) you order as far in advance as possible.

As Aramis and Surfergirl pointed out, renting a car to drive will be pretty expensive (about $2000 to $2500) including drop charges but not including $8-$9 per gallon for gas.

You will have a great time no matter which option you choose!
Old Dec 3rd, 2012, 12:36 AM
Original Poster

Wow , thanks everybody for your advice. I have been offline for a while and was amazed at how many people replied. I will let my friends know and get back to this post.
Thanks again
KW
Old Dec 3rd, 2012, 02:17 AM
Original Poster

I have not informed my friends as yet.
I am Thinking that flying easyjet to Paris and staying longer there would be the best plan.
Maybe visit the other countries another time.
Where do you suggest we stay in Paris. Probably five days would be long enough.
Also any suggestions for a hotel for a two night stay in Barcelona and Venice?
Thanks
KW
Old Dec 3rd, 2012, 03:18 AM

So, all 8 nights in Paris after flying their from Venice? Or do you plan to spend more time in Venice before heading to Paris.

If you are considering options that don't involve 11 hours or more on the road or a train an option that lets you see some of Austria and Germany would be to take the train through the Dolomites to Munich and then fly from Munich to Paris.
Old Dec 3rd, 2012, 05:38 AM

Hotel suggestions:
Paris--Hotel Parc St. Severin in the 5th Arrondissement, small but friendly, cozy rooms, Ask for Beatrice
Barcelona--Granados 83 in the Eixample area, very small but super modern design rooms. Lots of wonderful nearby restaurants.
Venice--Ca Pisani in Dorsoduro area, Art Deco design vibe with largish rooms, more expensive than the others I've suggested.
Old Dec 3rd, 2012, 05:41 AM

If you follow Aramis' advice and stop in Munich, you should plan to spend 3 days or so, so you can make side trips to Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Mittenwald, and the Ludwig castles. If you intend to fly Easy Jet you'll need to check their baggage allowances. Maybe consider shipping some of your luggage home after your cruise.
Old Dec 3rd, 2012, 12:01 PM

You're now thinking 5 nights/days in Paris, and two nights each in Barcelona and Venice? That's a lot of moving around for what will end up being about one day in each of those wonderful cities.

I would suggest that you visit Paris plus one other city - either is worth your time for a far longer amount of time than you have.
Old Dec 3rd, 2012, 12:12 PM

I would fly, but be aware of this, coming off a cruise, where luggage is not an issue, luggage size and weight is an issue on Easyjet or any other cheapo airline . You can buy extra luggage allowance, but there is a limit and it can be costly. I have flown with them and paid for one checked bag and had no issues at all, but we do not travel with alot of stuff anyways. You should also look at Vueling, I have also flown on them and think they allow a bit more luggage, check out the two websites and compare your luggage needs with what both airlines allow .
Old Dec 3rd, 2012, 01:26 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
The budget airlines are also very strict about carry-ons too. If it says one item, they mean one (not purse + an item).