venice -- metropole vs. locanda orseolo

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 26th, 2005, 10:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Help! Venice -- there seem to be so many excellect hotel choices. We need a quad room (and are traveling with 2 kids) and will not be able to swing two rooms at one of those 5 star hotels. That explained, would you choose the Metropole or the Locanda Orseolo as a hotel for a family of four staying in one room? I would like to be on the water.
Old May 26th, 2005, 10:39 AM

Locanda Orseolo is a small (14 or 15 rooms) B&B and seems to stay booked up. Have you contacted them as to availability for your dates? If they can accommodate you, don't hesitate. The owners are lovely and will make you and your children feel very special. Everything you read here and on Tripadvisor is true.
Old May 26th, 2005, 11:46 AM

Agreed...*if* Orseolo has a vacancy, book it - the location is great and the service is truly unbelievable. You will show up as visitors and leave as friends - I wouldn't stay anywhere else. Also, your kids will *love* the fresh made-to-order crepes for breakfast!
Old May 26th, 2005, 11:58 AM
Pausanias

My wife and I stayed at the Metropole, but quite a while ago 15 years. Room was fairly small but elegantly appointed. I recall it as a friendly place and would certainly return. The location can't have changed, and was, of course, about perfect.

Old May 26th, 2005, 01:11 PM

I tried to get a reservation at Locanda Orseolo...we also looked for a quad (2 kids 11+13) to save a bit in an expensive city...we have a quad at the Metropole Hotel...we will be there soon on June 6th & 7th....the Locanda Oreolo would have been our choice.
Old May 26th, 2005, 01:22 PM

hesn, my family of 4 (w/kids 10 & 6) booked a double superior room at Locanda Orseolo for early June. The 2 beds are supposed to be king sized, and the room quite large, so it will more than accomodate our needs. With so many rave reviews, I thought it was worth the money. However, my fallback choice is another lovely B&B owned by an American expat and her daughter near the Rialto Bridge. Check out http://www.cabernardi.com/; they have a quad room as well as apartments for a very reasonable price.
Old May 26th, 2005, 06:57 PM

It was our great luck to find Locanda Orseolo. I can't say enough great things about it and the family that owns it.

It is in an excellent location, only steps from Piazza San Marco but located in a quiet and private courtyard.

Just about everything has been re-done inside.

The breakfasts they serve are exceptional. This will be especially appreciated with children.

I don't know what their quad room is like, but staying at Locanda Orseolo made our visit to Venice especially memorable.

As far as being "on the water", it is located on a small canal. Some of the rooms face the canal. Some don't.
Old May 26th, 2005, 07:51 PM
jgg

We were at the Locanda Orseolo this March with our two kids (age 9 and 12). We were unable to get the quad but had two rooms right across the hall from each other. Don't know how old your kids are as to whether or not that will work. Our kids enjoyed having their own room and having two bathrooms was definitely a plus. If you can get any room/s at the Locanda Orseolo you definitely want to stay there. The experience is awesome, and they are wonderful to kids!
Old May 31st, 2005, 04:41 AM

I was only able to get the Locanda for one night (June 7th) - This means that we will stay at the Metropole for one night (June 6th - and we will be exhausted from traveling from the states!) - and will switch to the Locanda. I don't like staying in 2 places but, based on the posts I think we have made a good choice!