Locanda Orseolo Venice?

Old Sep 27th, 2005, 09:17 AM
Original Poster

Locanda Orseolo Venice?

The Locanda Orseolo in Venice has quoted me a price of 180 euros for a twin bedded room March 22-27th. This is a bit more than I wanted to pay. I am going with a friend, thus the separate beds, but I am paying for the hotel costs. I know many Fodorites have recommended this hotel. I can get the Monte Carlo for $141/night or the Rialto for $135. would the Locanda offer more personalized service since it is a small family owned hotel? Would our experience be more "Italian"? Trying to decide if the price difference is worth it to go with this hotel. This is my second trip to Venice, my friend's first.
Old Sep 27th, 2005, 10:29 AM

I have not gotten a chance to stay at the Locanda Orseolo. But I know I would do so if given the opportunity. It appears that you have read the Fodorite comments. The one thing that I understand from many comments I've read is the personalized service that the hotel's owners give to each guest. Of course, the rooms are very nice also. But for me kindness and personal attention is something I appreciate alot in a hotel and would not mind paying more to receive. If you check for guest comments at Trip Advisor the hotel is ranked #1.
Old Sep 27th, 2005, 10:40 AM

I stayed at Orseolo last Thanksgiving and am going back again this year. I stood in the courtyard with tears rolling my cheeks when we said goodbye...definitely not something I normally do! Even all of the glowing reviews on TripAdvisor could not prepare me for personally experiencing their hospitality. If personalized service is important to you, I'm not sure how anyone could be more personal, charming, and helpful than the folks at Orseolo.
Old Sep 27th, 2005, 10:50 AM

Sometimes I feel like I might appear to be paid to shill for this place, I recommend it so many times. It would be worth the extra money to stay at Locanda Orseolo. You will feel at home in Venice, and when you are traveling, that is a lovely feeling. Also, one of the hosts, Matteo, is the quintessential handsome, charming Italian man so that might add to your overall "Italian" experience!
Old Sep 27th, 2005, 10:57 AM

One of my co-workers stayed at Locanda Orseolo last month and another is there right now - I'll be staying there this Nov (Orseolo probably thinks were doing a review of the place). The first co-worker could not stop praising the place - she especially loved the chocolate crepes for breakfast. She says the service was sincere and personable. (I can't wait)
Old Sep 27th, 2005, 11:08 AM
jgg

Hard to compare to the other hotels as I have not been to either one. But I have been lucky enought to stay at the Orseolo for 4 nights. You could not ask for more personalized, italian service. For those of us who have stayed there, I truly believe it makes your stay in Venice that much more special. In addition to the superior service and oustanding breakfasts, the rooms are beautifully appointed. There are Murano glass chandeliers, beautiful draperies and very comfortable beds. You will not be disappointed if you splurge a bit and stay here.
Old Sep 27th, 2005, 11:13 AM

I've been to Venice a few times, will go again next April and will stay at the Orseolo. I've never read a negative anything about it and the reviews here and at tripadvisor just glow with praise. The location is excellent and less congested than the Hotel Rialto. The description of the Rialto at http://www.thisistravel.co.uk/travel/
accommodation/hotel.html?in_article_id=4613&in_page_id=101

turned me off a little.

The only caveat at the Orseolo might be the lack of elevator; the Rialto apparently has one that goes only to the second floor, which would be two floors above the ground level.
Old Sep 27th, 2005, 11:34 AM
Original Poster

Wow you guys have convinced me!! I kind of look at traveling like this: the first time I go somewhere it is about the place - the hotel doesn't matter so much. After that, when I go back, it becomes about the whole experience so I go for a more special hotel experience as well. Keep the comments coming though!