venice in october

Search

venice in october

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29th, 2003, 04:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
venice in october

we are planning our first trip to venice (altho we have been to italy twice before) and i am quite confused as to lodgings, transport from the airport, and such. we are looking for lodging in the moderate range (100-200 USD ) any tips and stories would be greatly appreciated
Old Jun 29th, 2003, 05:30 PM

For lodging I would suggest that you search on your favorite search engine for "apartments in Venice". Gobs will pop up. There are many 2 person studio/apartments to choose from. We stayed in a 3 person that was rented out from the Hotel Ariel Silva. It had a nice kitchen and it was fun to shop with the locals and cook some of our own meals. It was in Cannaregio.

I have been reading on the great tradition of stopping for a ombra and checchetii (sp).. a small glass of local wine and a bite to eat. There are several wine bars in Venice that practice this and it is a good way to meet locals. If anyone has any stories regarding this "pub crawl" please share...

You didnt say how long you will be there. Oct. is a nice time for Venice. That is around the time I will be there. I will be there Sept. 26- Oct.1st. I cant wait to see my Italy again !!
Old Jun 29th, 2003, 07:33 PM

JandaO: Do you have a website for that apartment, and does it have a washer?
Old Jun 29th, 2003, 07:43 PM

We just returned from Venice. We took a water taxi from the airport because our plane arrived at 9:30pm and we were afraid we would not be able to find our apartment on the confusing narrow streets at night. It turned out to be a good idea, but it was expensive. It cost 80 Euro for the 4 of us.

We stayed in a very nice, clean 2 bedroom apartment in the Dorsoduro area. It was called Palazzetto Da Schio and is owned by Madame Anna Da Schio. The website is www.palazzettodaschio.it.

We loved both the apartment and the location! I think it cost around 165 Euro for the 5 nights we stayed.

If I can answer any more questions, I would be glad to help. Laurie
Old Jun 29th, 2003, 07:54 PM

Sorry, that was confusing. The apartment was 165 Euro per night for the 5 nights that we stayed.
Old Jun 30th, 2003, 03:51 AM

On our first trip to Venice we stayed at the pensione Ai Do Mori which has mostly small rooms (although there is a large room and a double two bedroom with little entry and shared bath)under 200 USD. OThey have a tiny room with a small terrace which has a gorgious view over the rooftops. The domes of San Marco Basillica seem close enough to touch. It is very atmospheric, but the stairs are steep (no elevator). The water taxi approach from the airport is worth the price of about $26 if there are four or five passengers (easy enough to locate others going to the San Marco area). Hope this is helpful.
Old Jun 30th, 2003, 04:08 AM
ira

Hi wondering,

You can get from the airport to Venice by land bus, water bus or water taxi.

The bus is the least expensive. It stops, I think at Piazzala San Roma.

The water bus, ailaguna, is about E, but stops only near San Marco. Costs about 10E, takes about an hour.

Water taxis accomodate 4 people with luggage comfortably and costs about 80E.
Old Jun 30th, 2003, 04:50 AM

Hi
If you go elsewhere here at fodors.com to the Destinations section and then click on Venice, you will find lots of basic info, including transport options.

www.actv.it/inglese transportation in Venice

I have a long file on Venice; if you'd like to see it, email me at
[email protected]
Old Jun 30th, 2003, 05:23 AM

As others have said, there are 3 ways to get from the airport (Marco Polo) to Venice. The cheapest & often fastest is a land bus which takes you to the train station. From there you take a vaparetto (boat bus) to the vaparetto station closest to where you're staying.

The most popular means is the alilaguna which is also a boat bus strictly for airport transport. It costs about 10 euros/person & makes several stops in Venice (not just 1). Go to alilaguna.com for schedules & stops. It takes about an hour 10 mins. If your hotel is not near one fo the alilaguna stops, you may ahve to take a local vaparetto to get closer.

The water taxi is the fastest & easiest but also the most expensive (about 80 euros-but that's for the trip regardless of how many people you are). It will drop you AT your hotel if it is on a canal or as close as possible.

As to accomodation, there are many choices in your price range. venere.com is a website people use to "shop". You can look at rants and raves on the hotel section on Fodors to see what other people thought of various places. At the lower end of your price range people like the Galleria for price & convenience. It's located right at the Accademia bridge. Some rooms have Canal view rooms. The downside is some rooms are very small & it can get noisy. At the upper end of your range, people like the Pensione Accademia and La Calcina. One benefit of La Calcina is it's right at the Zattere alilaguna stop so easy to get back & forth to the airport.
Old Jun 30th, 2003, 05:36 AM
ira

Hi mclaurie,

Thanks for the update on the ALA.
Old Jun 30th, 2003, 07:00 AM

We rented a nice apt. for a week last Oct.--that is hard to beat. We paid 100E per nite.
Old Jun 30th, 2003, 09:49 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
www.lacalcina.com Pensione La Calcina is a lovely 3-star hotel on the Guidecca canal. I arrived by train & took a vaporetto (the hotel had fax'd me instructions with my confirmation - the vaporetto route # & name of the stop to get off at, which is very close to the hotel).
Old Jun 30th, 2003, 09:59 AM

Hi,
The website address is www.locandasilva.it.. It did not have washer and dryer.
Old Jun 30th, 2003, 10:36 AM

Bobthenavigator. where did you rent the nice place in Venice last Oct?? Thanks.
Old Jun 30th, 2003, 11:07 AM

We rented from the owners of the B&B at
www.locandabarbarigo.com The B&B is nice, but we wanted a week and this one was available at a good price. The owners are Vito & Christina--a nice young married couple. It is a 2nd floor flat within 3 minutes of San Marco in an area with good shops and ristorantes.