Venice Hotels - Locanda Leon Bianco or Locanda Al Leon

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20th, 2003, 09:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be in Venice April 4-8 and am currently trying to make hotel decisions. I have received offers from the Locanda Leon Bianco and Locanda Al Leon, both for 150E per night. I've searched prior threads and found a lot of positive feedback on the Locanda Leon Bianco but very little about the Locanda Al Leon. I've also requested availability on La Calcina and Pensione Accademia, but haven't heard anything back. My criteria: less than 200E per night (preferable less than 175E), lots of charm/ambiance, friendly/helpful staff, good breakfast, hot water, clean. So my questions are:

1. Do you have any recent experiences with or other comments regarding Locanda Al Leon or Locanda Leon Bianco that might help me decide between the two?

2. Are La Calcina and Pensione Accademia so much better that I should wait to see if something opens up there?

Oh, and I have looked at tripadvisor and venere. Thanks for any input. --Tito
Old Oct 20th, 2003, 12:08 PM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Oct 20th, 2003, 12:22 PM

I have stayed at Locanda Leon Bianco and think you can find a better deal and more convenient accommodations. I suggest checking around. Also there are a lot of stairs to climb- do not bring a lot of luggage. Also do not arrive at night- very difficult to find at night.
Old Oct 21st, 2003, 05:12 PM
Original Poster

topping!
Old Oct 22nd, 2003, 05:59 AM

I stayed at Locando Leon Bianco with my husband and son in 2000. If you can get a grand canal view I think it's worth the price. It seems they haven't even raised their prices since 2000. You get incredible service from Andrea who's family owns and runs this tiny hotel. You get a silver tray w/ all sorts of yummy breakfast items brought to your room each morning..and the canal-view rooms are quite lovely and large. You will also get excellent hotel/museum and show recommendations from the staff as they are all born and raised in Venice. It is tucked away but only a few minutes walk from the C'doro (sp?) stop. They have a nice, easy to follow map on their website. We loved it.
Old Oct 22nd, 2003, 08:28 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the comments Sandi. Anyone else?
Old Oct 22nd, 2003, 02:24 PM
Original Poster

Still looking for input. Thanks!
Old Oct 22nd, 2003, 03:24 PM

Standing in the window of our Grand Canal view room at Leon Bianco with a glass of wine toasting people riding Vaporetto #1 during "evening rush hour" was one of my fav memories of our three week trip to Italy in 2000. It is a budget hotel (for Venice) and that view can't be any better from any of the high ticket places. The room was comfortable, if you visit other places in Italy, you'll discover many of the small 2-3 star hotels are going to require your walking up multi flights of stairs. The bathroom was spotless. The staff was excellent. Since it's the only place I've ever stayed in Venice I can't compare it. I might stay someplace a bit plushier if we ever return, but that view...sigh...it sure was everything I'd ever dreamed Venice would be like.
Old Oct 23rd, 2003, 08:32 AM
Original Poster

Thanks "uhoh busted." Looks like I'll be staying at the Locanda Leon Bianco as the comments seem pretty favorable and no one has anything to say about the Locanda Al Leon.
Old Oct 23rd, 2003, 08:54 AM

You'll find a lot of (favorable) reviews about Al Leon here:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...ce_Veneto.html