Venice Hotels/$150 range/favorites?

May 1st, 2002, 07:26 AM
Dottie

Venice Hotels/$150 range/favorites?

Hi All, Now I'm doing this for friends! They would like to Honeymoon in Venice and they need suggestions on Hotels......not sure of couple's financial situation, but thinking in the range of $150 U.S. per night (more or less). Can anyone report on your favorite hotel recommendations? You can also throw in resteraunt suggestions as well!! Grazie!!

May 1st, 2002, 08:26 AM
Book Chick

My favorite hotel in Venice is Locanda Sturion. They have their own web site. It's near the Rialto bridge. A room with a view of the Grand Canal would be terrific. The breakfast room also overlooks the Grand Canal.

Best Wishes,
BC

May 1st, 2002, 08:31 AM
kiki

Dear Dottie,

I have an absolute MUST for you - we got back this month from Venice and stayed at a newly renovated palazzo called Locanda Barbarigo - you can see it at www.locandabarbarigo.com . They have this room called the Esmerelda (translation "green") that has a "room with a view window" looking over the canal outside the hotel. The location is great, and the beds were really firm (an anomaly in Europe). Your friends will not be disappointed.

Have your friends read my recommendations on Venice, Florence and Amalfi that I just posted. Put in the search box "kiki" and it will come up.

Hope that have a great time!

Kiki

May 1st, 2002, 08:31 AM
holly nyc

Hotel Flora in Venice is my favorite. Have been there twice. Affordable, nice staff and very charming. Check out their site...http://www.hotelflora.it/ing/hotelflora.htm
I was there both times with a friend but it was a very romantic hotel. maybe next time...

May 1st, 2002, 12:58 PM
Kavey

We recently stayed in the small 3 star Violino d'Oro and really enjoyed our stay.
The hotel offers small to medium size rooms which are pretty and comfortable, ours, room 103, had views out over the Campo S Moise and Campielloo Barozzi (squares) and the small canal Rio S Moise.
The location was wonderful (and very close to the oft recommended Flora).
For the price range, they might like to look into it.
Though it does have it's own site, there are more photos on the Charming Venice site.
Kavey

May 1st, 2002, 02:35 PM
Mike

Disappointed to report that Locanda Barbarigo doesn't have "canal view" rooms for our trip. They have a room with a view of the garden though for E140. For first time visitors to Venice, would you look elsewhere for a room with a canal view?

May 1st, 2002, 02:42 PM
elaine

I don't think that the Flora will come in under $150 for a double these days
but I agree it's a great little hotel

May 1st, 2002, 02:46 PM
kavey

I'd ask what view those rooms available do have? Is it out onto a square or into an internal courtyard or just onto another building behind?

Kavey

May 1st, 2002, 04:05 PM
Babs

I loved Hotel Ala. I believe they have a web site, I'm sorry don't remember the address. It was under renovation in OCt 2000, but should be all good now. The rate for a double room was 320000 Lire.

May 1st, 2002, 08:14 PM
Barb

I was in Venice in March, and stayed at Hotel Ca'd'Oro for 135 Euros per night. It is in the Cannareggio district, about a 5 minute walk from Rialto Bridge and 10 minutes from St. Marks. The hotel is in a renovated Palazzo, and became a hotel in late 2000, so it is not written up in many guidebooks. I found it through venere.it and booked by e-mail. The included breakfast was good, and the breakfast room was very pretty. The room we had was small but clean and attractive, with a very modern, new bathroom. There were plenty of restaurants in the area, and it was a delight to watch families with small children out playing. Unlike the area right at San Marco or Rialto, it is a "real" neighborhood, with a grocery store, cleaners, health and beauty aid store, and several bakeries and fruit markets. The website is www.hotelcadoro.it

May 2nd, 2002, 06:11 AM
elaine

There is a listing of inexpensive Venice hotels from Rough Guide website, go to www.roughguides.com, click on Italy, Venice, accommodations, then hotels.
I have a long file on Venice; if you'd like to see it, email me.

May 2nd, 2002, 06:51 AM
Barb

I forgot to mention in the above reply that Hotel Ca' d'Oro is a 3 star hotel, which makes it a very good value at the price. Friends of ours stayed there also, and had a quad room as they traveled with their 2 young nieces. The vaporetto stop is Ca' d'Oro, right next to the museum Ca' d'Oro. We heard French, Italian, German, and UK English, but did not see any Americans in the hotel during our three day stay. They had the best American coffee that I had during my 2 week trip(except for that great cup at Dunkin Donuts in Rome!)

Oct 3rd, 2002, 09:14 AM
222-upupup

Up for others seeking budget accommadations in Venezia.

Oct 3rd, 2002, 10:44 AM
La Calcina

Pensione La Calcina on the Guidecca canal. www.lacalcina.com

Lovely and peaceful but not too far a walk to San Marcos etc.

Oct 8th, 2002, 04:43 AM
flygirl

topping for Marie's search for Venice rooms.

Oct 8th, 2002, 08:38 AM
beth

I loved this place

ACCADEMIA VILLA MARAVEGE

Here is the description from Fodors:

A secret garden awaits just beyond an iron gate, complete with a mini Palladian-style villa, flower beds, stone cupids, and verdant trees - all rarities in Venice. Aptly nicknamed "Villa of the Wonders," this patrician retreat once served as the Russian embassy. Conservative rooms are outfitted with Victorian-era a"ntiques and fine tapestry. It's built on a promontory where two side canals converge on the Grand Canal, which is well glimpsed from the garden. Book well in advance!"

It's a great location too!! http://www.pensioneaccademia.it/index-e.html

Oct 8th, 2002, 08:47 AM
Marj

Venice is quite pricey. It's unlikely a 3* hotel would be $150 for a double room. Maybe a single. If your friends are travelling to other parts of Italy, figure what they go over the budget on in Venice, they'll save on hotels in other cities. I also love the Flora but it's definitely above $150.

Oct 8th, 2002, 10:14 AM
Trudie

I can't believe nobody has mentioned the Hotel Galleria which always recieves ravesat this forum. Great value and location. www.hotelgalleria.it

Oct 8th, 2002, 10:27 AM
fti

$150.- is quite doable in low-season.
Nov. Pensione Accademia : Euro 155.- (standard double) & Dec.La Calcina : E.145.- (double, Giudecca Canal View). We have 2 reservations as above and even in busier seasons, the prices are not much higher. They are both 3-star establishments. From the reviews we have read, our stay at both will be fabulous.

Oct 10th, 2002, 09:18 AM
Jack

Hi there. If you are looking for nice and very reasonably priced accommodation in Venice please send me an email and i will help you.
Have a nice day.
Jack

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO