Budget place to stay in Venice

Apr 23rd, 2002, 01:19 PM
Clinton

Budget place to stay in Venice

My wife and I will be in Venice for 1 night in early May. Does anyone have any suggestions? Also how is it staying in the surrounding areas?
Thanks!

Apr 23rd, 2002, 01:27 PM
zootsi

Try the Galleria, a nice small hotel right on Grand Canal. Tiny rooms, but a great view, and a great location. Under $100 a night.

Apr 23rd, 2002, 02:14 PM
elaine

Check out the hotel listings under Venice at www.roughguides.com
You can also do a search here on this message board on Venice hotels, or check www.venere.it

Apr 23rd, 2002, 02:57 PM
Tina

-
http://www.hotelgalleria.it/indexbri.htm is website for Hotel Galleria. It's a small hotel, 10 or 11 rooms --- most have bathrooms, a few share the very clean bathroom down the hall. Stayed there a couple years ago, so can't say what their current tariff is. You walk up a flight of stairs (no elevator) and it's superbly located, next to Accademia vaparetto stop on the Grand Canal. It's a no frills budget hotel; for the price & location, it's a good value.

Apr 23rd, 2002, 04:06 PM
Bob

With one night only in Venice you must stay in the city as the most fun is walking the streets after the day trippers have departed. Venice tends to be swamped with people during the day but returns to normal in the evening IF you stay in town to enjoy this.

We stayed at the AL GAMBERO on Calle dei Fabbri in Oct 99. Rooms were around $100 with breakfast. All had been recently remodeled and while small, were very nicely done. Baths were all new also.

We had room #1 right off the lobby. The Al Gambero is about midway between the Rialto Bridge and St Marks. You get off the vaparetto at Rialto and walk to hotel. We found this hotel on this site and will use it again on future trips to Venice.

Telephone: 39 041 5224384 Fax: 39 041 5200431. Rate at the time was 210000L per night. Hope this helps.

Apr 24th, 2002, 09:50 AM
Clint

Several budget accommadations can be accessed thru -
www.venice-venice.com

The Art Deco Hotel has been mentioned on this forum. I believe several people are planning to stay there & were seeking personal input (it opened up last year?). The least expensive place, a one-star hotel on 'venice' site is:
Hotel Locanda Salieri
Fondamenta Minotto 160, 30123, Venezia
Tel:041-710035, Fax: 041-721246
e mail: [email protected]

"Small cute family hotel in Venice center, with ten bedrooms, most with bathroom. Conviniently situated near Piazzale Roma Parking, only five minutes walk from the railway station". In Venice, the area by railway station is convenient & safe place to stay.

Apr 27th, 2002, 01:23 AM
Clinton

Phew, I've tried all of your suggestions and they are ALL booked! I made requests at a couple others I found and hope these work out. But Please, keep the suggestions coming! I only have 1 week til we go!

Apr 27th, 2002, 03:35 AM
sim

accommodation is everywhere...... try the city's tourism centre when you arrive.

Apr 27th, 2002, 07:31 AM
sandi

try locando leon bianco on the grand canal.

Apr 27th, 2002, 08:05 AM
athena

Try La Fenice et des Artistes or San Moise in San Marco. And there's the Pensione Seguso in Dorsoduro. Also, go to the web site for Best Western. They have two or three hotels in Venice. Another source is hotelbook,com. Best of all, call a travel agent! I agree with those that say you MUST stay IN Venice. Anything else is a waste of time and will be very disappointing.

Apr 27th, 2002, 11:34 AM
how-about?

-
Maybe this place is worth a try as it's new --- per message titled "Kiki returns from Italy ... "

"We stayed at a renovated palazzo that just opened up called Locanda Barbarigo. I cannot rave enough about this pensione. It is just perfect and I will return. They have amazingly good rates, and are a block from the Gritti Palace, on a small canal, and all rooms have a view of this canal. Christina and Vito own and run it, and they were the perfect hosts. The beds were also very firm, which was great since most of our other beds were quite soft (norm for Italy). You can reach them at www.locandabarbarigo.com and feel free to mention "Karen" (my formal name). I told Christina that I would be recommending it on Fodors.com. Beware that they only have 6 rooms open, so they get booked pretty fast."

Apr 27th, 2002, 11:39 AM
how-about?

OR, taking suggestion from Athena, go to the Best Western website. There's several hotels, of which the two below are well located for a 1 night stay. Didn't check to see what prices are, if they qualify as 'budget'.

- Hotel Bisanzio
- Albergo San Marco

Apr 27th, 2002, 11:46 AM
how-about

OR, have you checked thru site for hotels in Italy, http://www.venere.com ??? Lastly, there's a couple of last minute hotel websites. One called www.lastminuterooms.com and another called ??? (it'll come to me.)

Apr 27th, 2002, 12:01 PM
Julie

Clinton - When I was in Venice last July, I stayed in a monastery in the Cannaregio area. It cost about 30 bucks a night per person and was less than a ten minute walk from the train station and the grand canal.

If you want any more info give me a shout, my 'real' email is [email protected]

Apr 28th, 2002, 11:16 PM
Clinton

Hey thanks all! I was finally able to secure a place thanks to all of your great suggestions. I hope this information can help someone else out too!
Clinton