Venice Hotel Review-Hotel American

Jul 27th, 2003, 10:19 AM
Original Poster

Venice Hotel Review-Hotel American

We recently returned from Europe, which included a 4 night stay in Venice at the Hotel American.I can absolutely say that the hotel exceeded our expectations in every way from the location, to the hotel itself.
We stayed in a canal view room, #201. Should you stay at this hotel, beg, borrow, or steal to get this room. As you look at the hotel on its website, it is on the second level, with 4 picture windows and 2 balconys. The room was huge, by European standards. The bathroom completely remodeled with marble and seemingly brand new fixtures. The room, as I said, has 2 different balcony's; the large one in the front and a smaller one on the side. The wall that faces the canal has 4 huge windows. We spent every night on the balcony taking in the views. It also has an in-room safe. Also, a big plus, is that it has A/C, as Europe was having a heat wave at the time.
The staff was excellent. We took a water taxi to their dock, and a guy came out to get our luggage. They have a computer in the lobby area for free internet access.
The breakfast was in a breakfast room that had 12 2-person tables. The selections included cold cuts, cheese, boiled eggs, dry cereals, 3 kinds of juices, choice of coffee or hot chocolate, and pastries. Luckily for us, they served until 10:30.
The location can't be beat. It is a 15-minute walk to San Marco and a 2 minute walk to the lagoon side. The Allilugina (sp?) stop is a 2 minute walk away, as we used it to get back to the airport. There are a couple of stores amost at the entrance of the hotel to get wine, stamps, etc.Very close to many places to eat, but the area is very quiet at night.
I cannot say enough good things about this hotel. It was more expensive than others that I looked at.....for our 4 night stay, we paid 760 euros. It was well worth the price.
Jul 27th, 2003, 11:37 AM

Hi Ken - did you dine next door at the Cantinone Storico?
Jul 27th, 2003, 01:52 PM
Original Poster

No, we did not and I had forgetten the name of that resturant. Funny, as we could see the tops the the umbrellas from our balcony. If we had one more night there and I believe we would have eaten there and then taken a walk down to the lagoon side. Just another reason to go back!
Oct 30th, 2003, 10:06 AM
fsu42

KenHW, we are looking at staying at the Hotel American next year, and the room you described sounds great. However, when I contacted the hotel about it, they said this was a smoking room. Perhaps you are smokers so this wouldn't bother you, but if you are non-smokers, what did you think about this aspect of the room?

There apparently are some other nonsmoking rooms available with a small balcony, but I don't know if these also look out to the front or only to the side. Would you have any opinion on those rooms?

Thank you so much for all your help with this.

Oct 30th, 2003, 10:12 AM

great info thanks

if you can, please post this under the rants and raves comments for Fodors hotel listings (click on Hotels at the top of this page) and perhaps also
at tripadvisor.com
Oct 30th, 2003, 10:17 AM

Fabulous info fsu42. Thanks for finding it.

Search this Thread