Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Hotel Metropole or Hotel Saturnia in Venice?

Old Jan 17th, 2004, 08:36 AM
Original Poster

Could anyone kindly advise me on the pros and cons to either Hotel Metropole or Saturnia? It seems both have a quad room which is what we are needing for our family.
Has anyone stayed in a quad "family" room at either place? Thanks much for your help!
Old Jan 18th, 2004, 02:53 AM

Both are lovely hotels cliquot - but atmospheres vary. The Metropole had a recent renovation that left it a very art deco hotel. I love it there and personally I prefer its location, service and decor to the saturnia. However, the saturnia is motr of a classic venetian style hotel. truly depends on your taste.
Old Jan 21st, 2004, 06:31 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your reply sneep! I was able to get a quad room at the Metropole..sounds like a great arrangement. Haven't heard from
Saturnia yet, so I think we will go
with Hotel Metropole. Thanks again!
Old Jan 21st, 2004, 08:02 AM
jmv

would you mind sharing details on the room you have secured at the metropole? What month? what view? what price? Thanks.
Old Feb 9th, 2004, 06:53 AM
Original Poster

Hi jmv..I've been out of town so apologize for the delayed response. I emailed Hotel Metropole off their website at www.hotelmetropole.com with my request and they responded with an offer for July for a family room over the side canal at 320 euro per night. It has a bathroom ensuite,sitting area, tv, a/c and minibar. Sounds pretty good, don't ya think? Would love to know if anyone else has stayed in this same room. Hope this helps!
Old Feb 9th, 2004, 12:49 PM

Hi
I stayed at the Saturnia a couple of years ago. We thought even our double room was very large, though dark and in need of updating. It was in excellent condition, just outdated and with dim lighting. I don't know if some rooms have been brightened up.

Location is excellent, my favorite area, and the included breakfast was quite a feast, and quite good.
Service excellent, couldn't have asked for better.
Old Feb 9th, 2004, 02:50 PM

Cliquot.... I wonder if this is similar to a room we stayed in about a year ago.
There were two beds... one queen (I think) and one standard. Also, a sofa which I assume converted. (Since there were only two of us space was plentiful)
Ceilings are very high and decor is more "old world" than "Hiltonish". If you all love each other I'm sure it will be just fine. It was fun to be on the canal....(tho it is well traveled and not exactly quiet.) We've stayed at the Metropole in a front room previously. We love the Metropole, even tho it's a little out of the main stream and you have to drag bags up and down the bridges to get there. Last time we decided we were old enough to indulge and took a water taxi to and fro. Great fun to pull up to a hotel lobby in a boat!
Old Feb 9th, 2004, 03:53 PM

Our family of 5 stayed at the Hotel Saturnia last year. We stayed in rooms #37 and #38, connected through the 2 bathrooms. Our room was on Via Marzo, at the front of the hotel and the 3 teens had their room facing the courtyard. The breakfast was fantastic, as was the service. Last year we paid $288 total per night. The rooms were a good size, slightly dated but very comfortable. Since we stayed longer than 3 nights, we were offered a special price.