Venice Airport Transfer

Aug 7th, 2007, 07:01 PM
Original Poster

Venice Airport Transfer

Hi,

I wanted to get some advice regarding Venice Airport Transfers. I am going to be traveling there within the next month with 3 other family members, one of them being my 81-year-old grandmother. She is a little fragile so I have to take that into consideration when choosing the transportation. I was wondering what is the best means of getting from the airport to my hotel in Dorsoduro. Also, what cost can I expect for 4 people?

Is it a good idea to pre-book my arrangements here in the US prior to my trip or can I get a better rate if I wait to make the arrangements once I arrive in Venice?

Once, I get to the airport in Venice, is it a major trek to get the water taxi docks or is it easy?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Cameron411

Aug 7th, 2007, 07:29 PM

you will have a walk from the terminal to the docks - estimate it took our physically fit family about 10-15 minutes or so in the early morning darkness. With your grandmother, you may be able to get a wheelchair (assume a tip here for the porter). I'd suggest a water taxi over a vaparetto for her - with 4 people, I'll bet you'll pay around 70e - we paid 110e for 4 from Lido leaving from the dock there at 4:30am (the cost included the early departure).
Aug 8th, 2007, 05:28 AM
ira

Hi C,

A water taxi is about 80E for the 4 of you and luggage.

Find out from your hotel where the nearest landing is. You might still have a walk.

Aug 8th, 2007, 06:11 AM

We were fortunate to have stayed in a hotel on a canal, so we didn't have to drag our luggage far to the water taxi. It was 90 Euros for 2 of us, but it was much more relaxing and faster than the vaporetto.

We made arrangements through our hotel. I don't think you can expect to get many good deals in Venice -- the price of most things was outrageous. For example, two milkshakes and one cookie for 38 euros, a fish for 100 euros (it was delicious and it was enough for 2 people, but...), Gondola ride for 120.... Still, it was a wonderful experience.
Aug 8th, 2007, 08:06 AM

Or, from the airport, you can take the bus to Piazzle Roma (a bus area close to the Grand Canal water bus docks. The walk to the bus from the airport terminal is just outside the door & few steps to right. Terminal is not very big. (I'm assuming you are arriving at VCE, not CIA? Buy the bus tickets inside the terminal; cheap.

Once at P.Roma, just a short walk to ticket booth & water bus OR water taxi. There are a few steps going down. Water bus is inexpensive & if she is not pulling/hauling luggage, would not be strenuous - there are benches at the dock & on the water bus. However, I agree, the water taxi, if within your budget, is much easier.

Definitely contact your hotel/apartment for best advice. Need to know not only closest dock to hotel, but the easiest to walk - some have more bridges, thus more stairs.

Note: our apartment recommended a more complex path & more strenuous path. I got a Venice map with the water bus routes (at Barnes & Noble) & found what seemed to be an easier path. Then contacted the hotel to confirm it would work. So you might want to double check what path you are advised to take.

Also for "talking" with the hotel, I bought a $10 ATT International card at Walmart. Only 10cents a minute.

Enjoy, Julie
Aug 9th, 2007, 08:16 AM
Original Poster

Hi All,

Thanks for all of your great advice. It's greatly appreciated!

Cameron411
Aug 9th, 2007, 09:33 AM

Your issue is hotel location. Getting to the water taxi at the airport is very easy - or getting a bus to Piazzele Roma.

An elderly lady might find getting down into and up out of a motor launch difficult (unless she's very petite and someone can lift her). With the vaporetto you need to be able to step from the dock out onto the boat - in a crowd of people.

The biggest issue is how far the hotel is from the dock - and if they will meet you - or you have to drag your own luggage - sometimes up and over bridges. (In Venice we only stay in hotels with private docks for just this reasons.)