venice transportation

Old Jan 15th, 2004, 05:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
venice transportation

I would appreciate advice on transportation from the Venice airport to the San Marco area. We'll have 4-5 pieces of luggage. I understand the Alilaguna goes to the area but takes about an hour. Is luggage a problem? Would I then need to take a private water taxi to my hotel(San Marco 403 - 30100 Venezia)? Would a private water taxi be better despite the cost(55-60 euro according to the Venice tourist board)?
Thanks for any advice!
Old Jan 15th, 2004, 08:00 PM
rex

Two people with that much luggage? If you cannot each carry ALL of your own luggage up and down one flight of stairs, then you ought to seriously re-think what you are taking.

I have never actually arrived in Venice directly from the airport, despite five trips there - - but the (first) trip down the Grand Canal is always one of those remember-all-your-life experiences.

Consider mastering the luggage, and go by vaporetto or Alilaguna to Santa Lucia train station. From there take the vaporetto to San Marco; you'll have a 400 yard walk with your luggage from there. It's a price worth paying.

If you have small children or are mobility-impaired, then it might be a different story, and a water taxi would be worth its weight in gold. But perhaps you would have mentioned that.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Jan 16th, 2004, 05:51 AM
ira

Hi Dm

Water taxi will be more like 80E.

Your hotel should tell you which stop to get off and how to proceed from there.

Alilaguna might be better for you than the cheapest way: taking the bus to Piazzale Roma and then the vaporetto.

Old Jan 16th, 2004, 07:04 AM

Are you confused yet? All these posts are accurate.

1. If your group, however big or small, can't handle carrying/wheeling the luggage a short distance (& possibly up or down not steep stairs) you should take a water taxi for about 80 euros & hopefully your hotel will have an entrance on a canal! Otherwise you'll need a porter. I've read you can ask the water taxi driver to phone your hotel to ask for a porter to meet you at the closest spot. (So make sure you have the hotel phone # with you).
This trip is about 20-30 mins.

2. If you can manage the luggage yourselves (you must take a short shuttle ride like rental car cos. use- from the terminal to the dock at the airport), there should be no problem using the Alilaguna. They put your luggage in one area when you get on the Alilaguna so you don't have to keep it with you the whole time. (You can choose to keep carry ons etc.) It's about 10e/person & takes about an hour.

There are 2 other options. Some have reported taking a LAND taxi at the airport to the train station & then taking either a water taxi or vaparetto (local water bus) down the Grand Canal to San Marco. I'm not sure how much you'd save by taking a combination land/water taxi vs just taking a water taxi the whole way. Unlikely it would be worth the hassle IMO. There's also a land bus between the airport & the train station. This is the cheapest option. You'd then have to get to San Marco.

BTW, if you're staying at a Starwood property, they have their own taxis which do cost about 60e.
Old Jan 16th, 2004, 07:19 AM
GAC

Taking the ATVO blue airporter bus from the airport to Piazzale Rome, and then the local vaporetto down the Grand Canal is not worth the hassle: you'll spend 3 Euros each for both the bus and the vaporetto (total in excess of 12 Euros for two persons), versus 20 Euros for two tickets on the Alilaguna water bus. You won't save any time either. I would cut the luggage to 4 pieces on rollers, then plan to walk from the San Marco landing (Alilaguna stop) to the hotel (or arrange for a hotel porter to meet you at the dock). The Alilaguna service is hourly, which means that you might have to wait one full hour if you just miss the boat! A water taxi will cost at least 80 Euros.
Old Jan 16th, 2004, 07:27 AM

I think the bus to the train station, then a vaporetto to San Marco, gives the best initial view of Venice, one that many people say they never forget. On the other hand I would be hesitant to take the vaporetto with an excess of luggage, as they can be quite crowded and hauling so much luggage on board would be difficult; I think they also charge an extra fare for excess baggage.
Old Jan 16th, 2004, 08:11 AM

In our experience, the Alilaguna from the airport is an hour well spent. The trip is beautiful and our arrival at San Marco is something I will always remember - can't wait to do it again! Please consider taking only one rolling suitcase and a small carryon. You will be so happy if you can manage your own luggage. As McLaurie says, your luggage will be put in an area for the duration of the ride and you won't have to bother with it.
Old Jan 16th, 2004, 08:30 AM

The Alilaguna would be my pick, if you can handle the luggage. It is a nice ride. We had one large piece of luggage, one or two smaller, and a camera bag. The steps are not fun with large pieces. As someone else said, if the luggage seems tough to manage, then strongly consider a water taxi.
Old Jan 16th, 2004, 05:32 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice. I missled when I said 4-5 pieces. I included carry-ons & camera bag. We'll be able to manage what we bring although my wife's bags will be VERY heavy even on rollers. It looks like I can save at least 60 euro taking the Alilaguna which will make paying for the gondola ride later on a little less painful.
Thanks.
Old Jan 16th, 2004, 05:43 PM

Dmarnold,
I must admit I was feeling quite overwhelmed about the "how to get to the hotel" question prior to our trip to Venice a few weeks ago.

However we used the Alilaguna sucessfully and I agree that it is a beautiful ride...As others have mentioned it's easy to take the bus down to the dock and the Alilaguna stops at San Marco.

However you mention that you wife's luggage will be heavy I suggest you pull out a map of Venice and check the exact distance from the hotel to the Alilaguna/vaporetto stop...the difficulty with the luggage is hauling it up and down the stairs as you cross the canals. If it's really heavy you might want to consider the water taxi.