Venice airport: pirvate water taxi

Sep 27th, 2003, 01:28 PM
Original Poster

Venice airport: pirvate water taxi

How much of a hassle is it to get a private water taxi at the Venice airport? What's the going rate for two people with luggage from the airport to a hotel in the center? Do I need to make arrangements before i arrive? Thanks!
Sep 27th, 2003, 02:01 PM

The water taxis are quicker than taking the water bus. However you will pay about 4 times the price. It is very easy to do though.
Sep 27th, 2003, 02:04 PM
Original Poster

I have heard that with the changes at the airport in Venice, you have to take shuttle to the dock for the water taxi, and you must carry your own luggage, as there are no porters. Is this the case?
Sep 27th, 2003, 03:24 PM

The going rate for a water taxi should be 80-90 euros. It's true there is a shuttle bus ride to the dock where the taxis and the water bus depart (same dock). I can't recall seeing any porters but if you have wheels on your luggage it shouldn't be a problem. If you're staying at a Westin/Starwood Hotel you might ask the hotel to arrange pickup. I think someone posted the rate was a bit less through them (like 60 euros) & they might arrange for a porter. If you're at another hotel, if you ask them to arrange pickup, it might be a bit more expensive but they might have someone meet you to handle luggage. it's not difficult to get a water taxi on your own though.
Sep 28th, 2003, 08:44 AM

We avoided the private water taxi due to the cost.
The shuttle bus from the airport is FREE and runs constantly. They do not help you with your luggage.
The vaporetto costs 10 EUR/pp and does not charge for your luggage. It took us 1 hr 30 min to go from the airport to St. Mark's Square.
We enjoyed the ride.
Keep in mind, once landing at St. Mark's Square, you will still have to get your luggage to your hotel. Check with your hotel how to walk there with your luggage.
However, if you are older or have a lot of luggage, this may not be the best option for you.
Oct 14th, 2003, 11:29 AM

It was easy to catch the water taxi,we walked to the dock as we didn't see a shuttle. We shared a water taxi with another couple and was told it was 75 Euro but when we were dropped off at hotel he asked for 60 Euro each couple. When the other couple started to complain his perfect English became perfect Italian.
Oct 14th, 2003, 01:12 PM
KMS

We didn't want to do the water taxi b/c of the cost, yet we didn't want to take 1 1/2 hours on the Vaporetto. So...we took a land taxi to the car park area, then took the Vaporetto to the hotel.

The cab ride was 15 minutes and about 20 Euros. The Vaporetto was another 15 minutes and 3-4 Euros each. We actually bought the 72 hour Vaporetto pass at the start of this ride.
Oct 14th, 2003, 01:25 PM

The water taxi is the nicest way, but it is the most expensive. The shuttle bus to the taxi dock is easy--a short ride. The last time we were in Venice and used the water taxi (it has been a while), we and another couple paid for the taxi inside the airport and were given a chit to hand over to the taxi driver--maybe this has changed, but it certainly eliminated any debate over payment.
Oct 15th, 2003, 03:27 PM

I highly recommend the water taxi. After a long flight, I wanted to take the fastest, easiest way to our hotel. Got our tickets (no reservations needed) inside the terminal. Follow signs to Water Taxi desk. Walk out of the airport and the taxis are a short walk if you turn left (bags on wheels necessary). Otherwise, hop on the free shuttle to the water taxis. Hand the voucher to your boat driver and off you go! For our family of 3, it was 80 Euro. It was my son's very favorite part of the whole trip! You're in a 50's style speedboat and you fly over to Venice! Then, they turn into the city and your eyes will not believe the sights that you see! Wonderful!! PS. Ask your hotel what the closest canal drop-off spot is and then how to get to your hotel from there.