Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Best way to get from airport to San Marco in Venice?

May 13th, 2003, 01:43 AM
Original Poster

Hi everyone. My new husband and I are leaving on our honeymoon tomorrow and are now realizing just how little we have planned for our honeymoon. What's the best way for us to get from the main airport in Venice to the San Marco area (Hotel Flora)? We will have fairly large suitcases and don't want to have to drag them too much. Thanks for your help!
May 13th, 2003, 03:48 AM

The only way to get there is by boat. A shuttle will take you the short distance to where the water taxis pick you up. You have a choice of private water taxi or a public water bus which is much larger and much cheaper.
May 13th, 2003, 04:01 AM

The water taxi is the fastest, most interesting, and best way to get into Venice--it will get you closest to your hotel. But it is also the most expensive. We were able to split the cost of a water taxi with another couple, so it wasn't too bad.

You can also take the Alilaguna shuttle service waterbus from the airport--it will get you within a few minutes walk of your hotel. Or you can take a land taxi or bus to P. Roma and catch a vaporetto (water bus), again this will get you within a few minutes walk of your hotel.
May 13th, 2003, 04:32 AM

So in summary, Jacquiro, you have 3 options:
easiest, fastest but most expensive (about 70-80 euros) take a private water taxi which will leave you closest to your hotel (or AT your hotel if it has a water dock). Kerry is correct in mentioning you take a short land bus shuttle from the airport terminal to the boat dock at the airport where the taxis (and waterbus) are. If you should meet some other people who are going to the same location & can share, this would be ideal as the price is for the trip and should not be affected by how many people you have (up to 5 or 6 will fit in the average taxi with luggage).

Next option is the Alilaguna waterbus which is 10euros/person. You'd take the same short land shuttle as above to the dock (you can buy your Alilaguna tickets in the airport terminal as you're exiting). This trip takes about an hour because it makes several stops before getting to San Marco. Then you would walk to your hotel from the bus stop.

Lastly, you can take a ground bus for about 3euros/person to Piazzale Roma & from there change to a vaparetto (local water bus) down the Grand Canal to San Marco. If you choose this option you should buy a multi day vaparetto pass that you can use during your stay as well as for the ride from Piazzale Roma.

May 13th, 2003, 07:21 AM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for your prompt help! I'm so unprepared and this board is the best!
May 13th, 2003, 09:42 AM

I am confused. I walked to the end of the airport terminal and got a water taxi... don't understand about the shuttle. I was there last May. I thought Marco Polo was the main airport and I didn't have to take a shuttle to get a water taxi.
May 13th, 2003, 01:02 PM

I think the new terminal opened since you were last there WT. The shuttle bus just saves you a walk. It's a 5 min ride.
May 13th, 2003, 01:12 PM

we were there last september, and you do have to take a shuttle bus for a short ride to the water terminal. Again, ask around if people are going to the same hotel as you are, so that you can share a ride in a water taxi.