Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Venice Airport/Train Station/Hotel transport: help!

Old Feb 4th, 2008, 11:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just spoke to our travel company who told me that it costs $50 p.p. to go from the hotel to the airport if we book through them. Is there another way that is less expensive? Our flight leaves at 10:30 a.m.

Also, we're arriving from Florence by train. Our hotel is very close to St Mark's Square. Can we reserve hotel transport in advance?
Thanks for your help.
Old Feb 4th, 2008, 11:53 AM

From the Venice train station, you walk out the front to the canalside, and buy a vaporetto ticket if your hotel is near a vaporetto stop. Or you can take a water taxi for quite a few euro as close to the hotel as possible (of course, then you would have to walk the small streets and any bridges, if your hotel isn't next to a vaporetto stop or doesn't have a private dock). If you look on your hotel website page, they most likely give detailed directions for reaching them. Obviously, Piazza San Marco will be a major vaporetto stop.

You can take a water taxi directly to the airport for around 100€ or so. It takes about 30 minutes. Or you can reverse your steps to the train station, but go one more stop to the bus and parking area, and take an airport bus for very cheap, maybe 5€ or so.

NOTE: the Venice airport was a zoo, so do not cut short your arrival/check-in time. It took over 1.5 hours to go thru the checkin line (for boarding passes).

Good information here:
http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/...tto_routes.htm

We used this taxi company to go to the airport - they emailed a voucher, arrived on time (in a pouring rain) and there was no problem with the voucher.
http://www.venicewelcome.com/servizi...i-form-ing.htm

We bought 36-hour passes at the ticket booth just by the canal in front of the train station, and used the vaporetto to get from the train station to the hotel area (and several times more over the next 1.5 days)...
http://www.actv.it/english/navigazio...iffe_vaporetto
Old Feb 4th, 2008, 12:21 PM

Hello mairseydotes, just to help you a bit more so that you will be familar with the Marco Polo Airport here is their website. At the upper right of the screen you can click on for the English version. Have a wonderful time in Italy.

http://www.veniceairport.it/core/ind...questid=595888
Old Feb 4th, 2008, 12:35 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much Travelnut for your great website links. I will check them out and reserve. Also, a big thank you for the arrival information. Just yesterday, someone here told me that you only have to be at the airports 1 hour in advance, so it's good to know that we should allow lots of time.

LoveItaly, thank you so much for the great info link to the airport. It's so wonderful having great advisors on line to make traveling so much easier.
We're getting very excited about our trip (1 month from today!)
Old Feb 4th, 2008, 12:48 PM

Unless you are flying within Italy, 1.5 hours is minimum. You need to allow 2 for any international flight.

You got good advice on public transportation to and from the airport. It is easy and cheap.

If you are elderly or have a lot of stuff, another option is to take an auto taxi between the Piazzale Roma where the bus station is and the airport, then use the vaporetto to San Marco.
Old Feb 4th, 2008, 01:52 PM
Original Poster

Hello!
Ackislander, thanks for the advice. We are spry 'boomers with 1 carry-on suitcase each. In the early morning, the less running around, the better!

I went onto the sites for public transportation and found the Alilaguna bus to/fro the airport, but no price for a 1-way tkt. There are Venice Cards for 1,3,7 days, but the site says only "extra" for a round-trip tkt between the airport/hotel. I guess we should just wait until we get there to buy/decide, since we're coming in by train and don't need round trip.

Thanks again, everyone!

Old Feb 4th, 2008, 03:00 PM

bkm
Old Feb 4th, 2008, 03:01 PM

Unless you want to spring for a water taxi, I'd suggest the Alilaguna boat. it is 12 euros per person and departs from a couple of stops near San Marco depending on where your hotel is. They leave around :50 and take a little over an hour to get to the airport. once there it's about a 10-15 minute stroll to the terminal. to get to the airport around 8 am, the boat would leave around 6:50 am. You can get tickets at the stop.
Old Feb 4th, 2008, 04:21 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the details on the water bus, Notbob! It's great to finally have a price for the service and a sense of how long it takes.

You have all been so helpful! Thanks for making this so easy to do. I'll post all the details when we get back. Thanks again, everyone!