Transportation in Venice

Search

Transportation in Venice

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8th, 2005, 03:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transportation in Venice

I heard that the only way to get from the airport to the city center is to take a water taxi, which is very expensive. Is this true?

Thanks in advance for all your help!

Old Feb 8th, 2005, 04:07 AM

Hi, Meamea,

NO. It is not true. There are various other options. A better idea is to take an "alilaguna" boat from the airport into the city. Here is the website with information:

http://www.alilaguna.it/?lang=en&fun...=43&modo=6

On the left hand side you can "click" on the information under "Services" for answers to your specific questions about fares, schedule, stops, etc. I think it is about 10 Euros per person from the airport to the San Marco stop. I think the ride takes about an hour.

Here is the website for the airport in case you want more information:

www.veniceairport.it

If you click on "transports" it will tell about getting into the city.

Enjoy your trip.
Old Feb 8th, 2005, 04:09 AM
ira

There is also a bus from the airport to the Pzza Roma, near the train station.

Old Feb 8th, 2005, 04:38 AM

So to combine thoughts on the previous 2 posts, a lot depends on where your hotel is located as to which is the best mode of transport. The alilaguna makes a few stops, the major one being at San Marco, but it also has a stop at Zattere (which is convenient for hotels in Dorsoduro), Arsenale and I forget where else.

The biggest benefit to taking the private water taxi is it will drop you off right at the door to your hotel if it is on the water.
Old Feb 8th, 2005, 04:56 AM

If you've never been to Venice before, I'd get a taxi to your hotel.
Once you have found your way around, you can make the return journey using Alilaguna. I've used the bus, but it's more awkward if you have a lot of luggage. The Alilaguna people take it from you when you board and stow it away.
Old Feb 8th, 2005, 05:07 AM
ldh

Hi meamea,
We've used the Alilaguna boat service on 3 separate trips, each time staying in different hotels. We enjoyed the trip, it was fairly simple and found our hotels without a problem. If you are map or directionally challenged the taxi may offer more peace of mind, otherwise I'd give it a go with the Alilaguna and spend the savings elsewhere. Have a great time! ldh
Old Feb 8th, 2005, 12:52 PM

You can take a bus from the airport that takes you to the Piazza Roma in Venice for 3 er. per person and you can bring luggage. From there you can take the vaparetto's or water taxi from the Grand Canal. The ride to Venice takes about 20 mins. to the Piazza. You will have to take another water ride from there unless you stay at that location.
Old Feb 8th, 2005, 12:55 PM

Alilaguna was 10E per ticket in June 2004. It was simple, fairly quick, and easy.
Old Feb 8th, 2005, 01:53 PM

If money isn't an issue, the water taxi is a fabulous way to enter Venice. Fast, invigorating--historic Venice a smudge on the water when you start out. Then it grows and grows, filling more and more of your field of vision. Then the driver cuts back the motor and you are gliding into a quiet canal surrounded by structures hundreds of years old.

From a 21st century airport to one of the world's most unique historic gems in a matter of minutes--in style.

But it is not inexpensive. Note, however, that the price is the same whether you have 2 people or 3 or 4--so if you have several people it isn't that much more expensive than other means of entering the city. And it is certainly great fun.
Old Feb 8th, 2005, 03:01 PM
KT

As has been noted, it doesw depend upon where you're staying. On my last trip to Venice, I stayed near the Frari church. From there I walked to Piazzale Roma (less than 10 minutes) and took the bus to the airport (about 25 minutes). So it was not only cheaper than the Alilaguna, but faster, too.
Old Feb 8th, 2005, 03:01 PM

TexasAggie:

On the Alilaguna did they also charge for luggage? (We'll each have a 22" rollaboard.) On the boat, where do you put the luggage? I'm concerned about being separated from it and having it disappear.

Did you have trouble finding the alilaguna boat at the airport? I've read that some people have had trouble finding the right boat and end up with a much more expensive ride.
Old Feb 9th, 2005, 12:41 AM

The alilaguna does not charge extra for luggage. (I <i>think</i> the vaparetto, the local water bus IN Venice, does).

Both the alilaguna and the water taxis leave from the same pier at the airport but it's very obvious which is which. The water taxis are much smaller boats. You take a quick shuttle bus from the terminal to the dock (although you can walk it). You can buy alilaguna tickets as you're walking out of the terminal.
Old Feb 9th, 2005, 12:43 AM

As to stowing luggage on the alilaguna, as you get on the boat, they stow your luggage and ask where you'll be getting off.
Old Feb 9th, 2005, 04:49 AM

Mclaurie:

Thanks for the information. I appreciate your help.
Old Feb 9th, 2005, 06:10 AM

The above poster is correct. Alilaguna does NOT charge for luggage. I believe the normal vaporettos do charge for luggage in theory, however I have never been charged not heard of anyone else being asked to pay a fee for bringing luggage aboard.