Search

Venice Airport

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 01:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Venice Airport

We are flying into Venice to catch a cruise. What is the best mode of transportation to get to the cruiseship terminal and how expensive is it?
Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 02:01 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Doesn't the cruise ship give you advice on how to do this?
Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 06:44 PM

We shared a cab--they were waiting outside the airport. It was either $10 or $20 per couple.
Old Mar 24th, 2006, 01:05 AM

Noronha - The going rate for a taxi to the cruise terminal is about € 30-35.

Alternatively you could get the airport bus to Piazzale Roma and taxi from there.

Hope this helps ...

Steve
Old Mar 24th, 2006, 02:37 AM

For me it would depend on how much time, luggage, and spending money you have available.

Venice is very possibly the most breathtaking city on the planet, and it would be incredibly sad if you saw almost none of it by heading directly from the airport to the cruise ship. That is, in fact, what happens if you take the least expensive transportation (as described in previous posts) from the airport to the cruise terminal at Piazzale Roma.

If you have reasonable amounts of luggage and a little extra time, you could at least get a nice taste of Venice by taking the Alilaguna boat from the airport to San Marco in Venice, then transfer to the vaporetto bus-boat that goes the length of the Grand Canal to Piazzale Roma.

Or, for a well-worth-it splurge, hire a water taxi at the airport, and ask for a 1-hour or 90-minute tour of Venice, ending at the cruise terminal. Yeah, it will be expensive, but it will also be a trip that you will remember for years and years. Be sure to take your camera with you!
Old Mar 24th, 2006, 04:04 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice but I forgot to mention that we have a handicapped son in a wheelchair. Of course, he is not totally confined to a wheelchair and can walk a bit with assistance. Tje wheelchair is light and collapsible.He has travelled all over the world with us. Do you think we would be able to manage the water taxi, etc. instead of taking the transfer by Princess Cruise Line which cost $157.00 Cdn. for the 3 of us? Look forward for advice.
Old Mar 24th, 2006, 04:22 AM

I'm sure you could take a water taxi without any problem ... though it won't be cheap.

If you want to go by boat why not take the Alilaguna service? It costs € 10 p.p to San Marco.

You can get a connection there to Stazione Marittima (- if that's where your cruise starts) or to Piazzale Roma - a short ride or walk from the main docks.

Hope this helps ...

Steve
Old Mar 24th, 2006, 04:34 AM

P.S. Here's the link:

http://www.alilaguna.it/?funzione=12...;idstazione1=0

Steve
Old Mar 24th, 2006, 05:59 AM

The Alilaguna will take you about an hour to get to the Pza S. Marco, from
there you have to transfer to another
vaporetto to get to the Pza Roma andfrom they with assistance to the
Statizone Marittima anywhere from two to four block. Think you best bet to a minimun of hassle would be by taking a
water taxi from the aiport to your
ship. Fare into Venice for 4 persons
with luggage would be around 90 euros.
prior of boarding a gentleman with a clipboard will quote you the fare and assign you your boat. Ps. There is about a 400 meter walk from the airport
arrival hall to the Alilaguna or water
taxi docks, when the airport opened there was a bus however this has been
discontinued. Your best bet might be
by regular taxi to the Pza. Roma and then a porter to assist with the luggage to get to the ship. Might
check with the tour operator also...
Richard of LaGrange Park, IL>
Old Mar 24th, 2006, 08:39 AM

Knowing that you are traveling with someone in a chair, I would not recommend the Alilaguna and vaporetto combination. Too many difficult surfaces.

The water taxi may still be a possibility. There is a deep step or two into and out of the boat. Once in the boat, there are bench seats inside the cabin and in the open air at the back of the boat. Also, it is a few hundred meters from the airport terminal to the water taxi dock. You can either walk (smooth surface, no steps) or take a free shuttle bus; I don't recall that the shuttle bus looked to be especially accessible. I don't know what the configuration is at the cruise terminal.

If the water taxi is doable, I really would encourage you to take it, and to ask the driver for a rate where he will take you through some of the sights of Venice, including some of the smaller canals. It really is a fantastic way to see the city, and really the only way to see the city for someone who is challenged like your son. If you've traveled widely together, I'm sure that you can overcome any issues that the water taxi might present.

However, if you choose not to take the water taxi, a land taxi from Marco Polo airport to the cruise terminal would be the next best option, as you take the taxi directly from the airport terminal.
Old Mar 24th, 2006, 10:36 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for all your advice but would anyone have any idea what the cost would be for a land taxi from the airport to the cruise terminal?

Thank you.
Old Mar 24th, 2006, 11:29 AM

Earlier, Steve said this, "Noronha - The going rate for a taxi to the cruise terminal is about € 30-35."