VAN RENTAL ADVICE

Apr 18th, 2002, 09:24 AM
A.M.

VAN RENTAL ADVICE

I WILL BE IN GERMANY WITH MY EXTENDED FAMILY (11 PEOPLE) IN JULY AND WOULD LIKE TO RENT OUR TRANSPORTATION (2 VANS). I HAVE BEEN TOLD TO BE CAREFUL ABOUT BUYING INSURANCE AND HAVING APPROPIATE DRIVERS LICENSE. ALSO NEED SUGGESTION OF BEST RENTAL COMPANY TO CONTACT.

Apr 18th, 2002, 09:37 AM
Rex

Minor etiquette point: don't post here in ALL CAPS! SEE HOW IT LOOKS LIKE YOU ARE SHOUTING!?

www.autoeurope.com is a good place to start, though it might be worthwhile to also look at www.kemwel.com or www.its-cars-hotels.com as well.

See any of several threads here on this forum on purchasing walkie talkies once you get to Europe (to have Europe-legal frequencies). Very good use of money to help communication between the two vans. Also helps to make sure that you don't get too far apart, but don't have to stay bumper to bumper.

Not such a big deal about international drivers license. Few people obtain them, but they're cheap and easy to get at AAA.

Best wishes,

Rex

Apr 18th, 2002, 10:40 AM
andy

I just rented a van at <www.rentacar-europe.com> Good price!
Give it a try and compare?
andy

Apr 18th, 2002, 02:17 PM
Tom

A.M. - I rented a van twice, once in Ireland a Ford Transit Diesel which was roomy enough for 6 with luggage and once in Britain, forget the model of vehicle we had again for 6 but we did not have sufficient room for luggage, so be careful. If your trip is 19 days or longer(I think it's 19)you may want to check out a lease. You can do this with Auto Europe or another web site I can't put my fingers on right now but if interested email me I will dig it up.
Regards - Tom

Apr 18th, 2002, 02:35 PM
Tom

A.M. - The other web site for leases is www.ideamerge.com
Regards - Tom

Apr 18th, 2002, 04:00 PM
jayvee

try gemutlichkeit.com 800-521-6722 i got the best deal from them in my 25 years of renting in germany

Apr 18th, 2002, 05:31 PM
up

up

Apr 25th, 2002, 09:13 AM
Kevin

Ive rented vans twice in Germany. The first time was a reserved Avis van at the Franfurt AP. Surprise, no van. They wanted me to take a car (max five seats due to standard transimission). I walked down the counter and fortunately found a rental co. with vans available. My second occasion (last year at Muncih AP) was through AutoEurope. I've rented through them numerous times for smaller vehicles. They seem to have the best rates and service (of the larger dealers). They actually act as a broker, but I've never had a problem with their reservation guarantees.
Regarding van sizes - per the earlier note, you are going to have a tough time getting 11 people and luggage into two european vans. They aren't the size of the US monsters. We had six (four adults and two kids) in a van (with moderate luggage) and we were packed. The rear two seats are actually in the luggage area.
Two options: find a luggage carrier to mount on top (or buy some rope and canvas), or, see if you can find a rental company that has larger vans. Most don't seem to guarantee larger sized vans (and don't seem to even carry them).
Lastly, regarding insurance. Check to see if your current auto Insurance carrier will cover you driving in Europe. Additionally, get all the coverage you can when you pick up your rental car (if you use a larger reputable dealer). It is expensive, but you will have one major hassle handling a claim without the coverage. I've talked to a lot of folks who clipped a fender or lost a side mirror on a narrow street and wished that they had purchased the additional coverage.
Driving in Germany is a lot of fun. Best road system I've ever seen. Enjoy!

Apr 30th, 2002, 10:43 AM
Debbie

Hello. Try Budget Rentals and some are near any military post. If you know someone in the military or happen to be traveling with them, gas will be cheaper for you. We traveled with seven in a great new van with leather interior all around Europe a couple of years ago. No complaints. Just make sure you know the travel signs for Germany, they can be quite different from American ones. We use to have a book we shared but someone forgot to return it. Lol. Hope this helps.