Stonehenge after 7pm

Apr 30th, 2002, 09:55 AM
help please

Stonehenge after 7pm

I am meeting the Astral tour at Stonehenge for the inner circle tour. Since the seats are all booked, we will have to find our way BACK from stonehenge to Salisbury.

Astral tour suggests we book a taxi, but I only have a list of taxi company's telephone numbers.

Can someone tell me how much the taxi will cost? and How would one book a taxi to PICK us up at Stonehenge? Would that mean double the charge (to stonehenge and back for the driver)?

or is there a better way?
Thanks a lot!

ps. anyone going on May 22nd? and has the same problem? maybe we can share the taxi?? we have 2 people.

Apr 30th, 2002, 10:16 AM
xxx33

Have you tried contacting English Heritage directly about your inner access? I don't see what Astral is providing for you here. When I took their tour, the guide said very little about the place, passed out metal divining rods, that was it.

There is a bus to Salisbury that passes by Stonehenge, check their schedule to see if you could just take that.

Try calling a couple of the taxi firms to see what they say.

Apr 30th, 2002, 10:17 AM
xxx3

One more thought: When we took the full Astral tour last summer, there were several no-shows and many empty seats on the bus -- you might be able to get a ride back to London with them after all.

Apr 30th, 2002, 10:35 AM
Mark Vaughan

We had the same problem trying to get on a tour for May 15th. I called the English Heritage people and booked a special access tour on our own for May 16th at 8:00 am and it cost 10 pounds each instead of 30 that Astral tours wants to charge. I told Astral tours that I would like to be wait listed for the entire tour because at 57 pounds it seems like a good deal. I was told by the lady at English Heritage that it is only 2 miles to walk to Amesbury where it is easy to get a taxi or bus to Salisbury. It doesn't get dark there until around 9:00 pm. Let me know if you have any other questions. By the way I'm calling tomorrow to try and change my tour to 6:30 pm because no trains can get us there early enough for the 8:00 am tour. If I can't change, then I will rent a car.

Apr 30th, 2002, 10:45 AM
xxx3

You might not have to walk to Amesbury to get the bus; there's one that goes between Salisbury and Stonehenge, though of course you should check the hours.

http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/d...t%26WCE%3D4969