Reload this Page >

Help pick a Positano hotel, please

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 04:56 AM
Jennifer

Hope I haven't worn out my welcome, but I'm a novice Italy traveler.<BR><BR>As I explained in an earlier post, I have heard such wonderful things about the Villa Franca, but they are only available at a less-than-optimal time during our trip -- with only a partial view. Should I contort everything else to make sure we stay there, or pick one of the following:<BR><BR>1) Buca di Bacco (we really wanted to stay someplace with a view, but maybe we'll have already gotten that in Anacapri and it won't matter?)<BR>2) Eden Roc Suites -- saw some bad feedback on here about a nasty above ground pool...it's our honeymoon! (But they do offer a King suite!)<BR>3) Poseidon only has a village view/partial sea view<BR>4) Le Agavi hasn't gotten back to me yet.<BR><BR>We're willing to spend up to $300/night. If anyone can help make distinctions between this group of hotels, we'd be forever grateful.<BR>Thank you all so much.

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 05:15 AM
Julie

Poseidon is very nice and even a partial view of the harbor could be quite pleasant. You can always take a couple of glasses of wine and stroll by the pool in the evening to get a complete view. Did you consider and reject Covo dei Sareceni? It's right on the harbor/sea and has balcomies overlooking everything. From second floor you get nice views. We loved it and I understand it has been recently redone again. If you haven't already, check it out too.

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 10:34 AM
Laura

I personally love Villa Franca, and I think a partial view is better than a full view, because you have some of the sea and some of the city to look at from the room. At night it is nice to sit on the balcony and look at the city lights, very romantic. The sea at night is just a black sea, nothing much to look at. I vote for the partial sea/city view from Villa Franca. And yes, a view is important, especially a world class view in Positano, especially on your honeymoon!

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 10:45 AM
DeAnn

LOVED Buca di Bacco. This place has the same view as Siraneuse (above it). The room was lovely, service incredible, the breakfast AMAZING! I think it was a terrific value. They couldn't have been nicer to us. They also offer internet access in the lobby. We will definitely return!<BR>D

Old Apr 30th, 2002, 05:09 AM
Jennifer

Has anyone stayed at the Eden Roc recently? I see scant feedback in the archives, some of it negative, but none of it fresh. It's not listed on Rants and Raves...<BR><BR>Their deal (300 euros for King suite, jacuzzi, balcony with sea view) seems way too good to be true, and they're not listed in many of the guidebooks, so I'm admittedly skeptical. The website looks lovely, though.<BR>Covo dei Saraceni sounds lovely, but they haven't replied to my email....And Buca di Bacco (which I keep wanted to call Buca di Beppo after that chain restaurant!) doesn't have a pool, which I think we'll want. Oh, and Le Agavi only has two twin beds to make a king. Is that to be expected in Italy?

Old Apr 30th, 2002, 06:35 AM
Chrissy

We stayed in several places in Italy and France and we always had two twin beds to make up a king. It worked out fine.

Old Apr 30th, 2002, 09:15 AM
Tom

I stayed at a place called Villa Rosa in Positano...Awesome views. Hotel is simple but staff was friendly. We had our own balcony that overloked both the sea and the hill side. Each morning they served us breakfast on our balcony. The only neg. I think we counted 125 steps from street, but then again you are on the Amalfi coast! Price was very resonable, We had a great time. Good luck

Old Apr 30th, 2002, 10:26 AM
Jen

Jennifer- I stayed there last April-- I HIGHLY recommend it, especially for the price-- the website photos don't lie; it's not a luxury hotel, but very nice, large rooms, each has a terrace with a sea view. Staff was great, and what a VALUE!! The pool deck was nice, but I will say that the pool was not exceptional... for us, that was not an issue, but if you want a really nice pool at your hotel, that would be the only drawback. I would stay there again in a heartbeat! <BR>hope that helped-- let me know if you have more specific questions.

Old Apr 30th, 2002, 10:42 AM
jen

sorry--- in my above post, by "there" I meant Eden Roc!!

Old Apr 30th, 2002, 10:49 AM
kiki

Jen,<BR><BR>Eden Roc is higher up than Villa Rosa and Le Sirenuse, so if you want to walk down thru town to shop, then you have a pretty good hike back up. There is a local bus that you can take, but not sure if you are young or old. <BR><BR>I saw Villa Rosa, and it was really nice, at least the room that they showed us. Very nice antique-like furnishings, and a fantastic view. There are about 2 flights of steps to get to it, so if you have good knees, no problem! The cost was around 140 Euro a nite. <BR><BR>The other hotel next to Le Sirenuse that a honeymoon couple recommended was L'Ancora. It was 220 Euro per nite, and they had 2 balconies, one with a jacuzzi. Hope this helps!