Vacation tour to Euorpe - Paris and other countries

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6th, 2016, 02:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I want to visit my family (2 adults +2 childs (7 & 9) to Eurpose (Paris, Switzerland OR Paris, Switzerland and Venice) . I will travel from Toronto. This will be my first visit to Europe. I have google for this trip but no idea how to go or manage. How I can go with some travel group so that they can arrange travel + accommodation and important thing if I will be in group then can visit many important places in limited times otherwise I will have no idea. Please help on this trip. If I want to book with travel agency then which is the good for this Europe tour. I will be highly appreciated if someone guide exactly then it will my time. Thanks
Old Nov 6th, 2016, 03:32 PM

It's interesting that you didn't tag this for Switzerland since you mentioned it twice but tagged for Germany and Spain, along with France and Italy.

How long will you be in Europe? Are you planning on traveling between destinations by train, renting a car or are you looking for a tour that will provide travel?

You could easily make your own train reservations using Captain Train website.
https://www.trainline.eu/search/

Also, this site is very helpful fir learning about the train system in Europe.
http://www.seat61.com

Do be aware that Switzerland can be quite expensive. Are the specific sites there or cities that you wish to visit?

What time of year do you plan to travel?

You need to provide some specifics about what you would like see in Oaris, Venice and Switzerland. Have you invested in at least one guidebook for the countries you are interested in?

It diesn't have to be overwhelming to plan a trip to Europe but you need to have some idea of where you want to go and what you want to see/do while there. Are the children good travelers? Changing sites often in the name of trying to see everything is a mistake and will be more stressful than fun.

Good luck planning your trip. I don't use travel agents at all...the Internet enables you to plan the trip you want very easily. You should purchase a few guidebooks to help you decide where you want to go and provide some ideas on sightseeing, hotels, etc....
Old Nov 6th, 2016, 03:37 PM

Exchange Paris with Venice and Swutzerland for lotsa travel info:
http://wikitravel.org/en/Paris

You may want to indicate the length of your trip and what time of year. You can arrange multi-city tickets on Air Canada, into Venice [non-stop] and out of Paris [one-stop]. If Switzerland between the two, then
where you would like to stop and the mode[s] of transporttion involved.
Old Nov 6th, 2016, 04:31 PM

Paris is a city, not a country.

When do you plan to go? What time of year?

For how long?

What are your interests and why do you want to visit Europe? What there grabs your attention?

Most people here do not use travel agencies or go on tours. You don't have to, either, though it might be easier for you if you are feeling overwhelmed. There are thousands of guidebooks and maps and internet sites to help you plan your trip, but first you need to get a grip on what is a country, what is a city, and how to move around from place to place between them in the time you have allotted. You have to do some serious research, not just ask random people on the internet to do your planning for you. Many of us find that planning a trip is almost as pleasurable as the trip itself.

As a side note, Switzerland is unbelievably expensive.
Old Nov 6th, 2016, 05:13 PM

The problem with many tours is that are aimed at an older audience and most will not take children the age of yours. And taking a bus tour would be hell for 2 little kids. There may be a few tours more designed for kids that allows time for them to do kid things - but then you will be seeing fewer places.

For us to help you at all we need to know:

The exact number of days that you have and if that includes the days you leave from and return to Canada

What time of year you want to go

An approximate budget and if that includes airfare or not (have you checked the value of the Canadian $ versus the euro or the Swiss franc?)

What are your few must sees in europe (you must have something in mind when you decided to go)

Tours typically are very long days sitting on a bus with a few quick stops for sightseeing (the reason they don;t want small kids), an early start every am (luggage outside your door at 7 am and on the bus at 8) and meals that are americanized versions of local food

If I were you I would pick a couple of places (depending on how many days you have) and spend several in each place so you re not dealing with a new language, culture, transit system and foods every day

You might consider a package versus a tour. They will get you flights, hotels (you pick price) for the number of days you want and transfers from the airports. Then you can buy wahtever day or place tours you want on the ground so leaving your kids some time to run aorund and play they would not have on a tour.

Really we need a lot more info from you before we can help
Old Nov 6th, 2016, 08:35 PM
Original Poster

Hi, I am planning to go in very early June for 2 weeks (10-12 days). How I can plan my trips. What is the best way to enjoy this Europe tour with kids. Buy the package is a good idea? or book the tickets from online and then book hotels separately. Which hotels should I book in Paris and Switzerland or Venice which is closer to downtown. I hope you experienced guys will help me to arrange the trip. If I buy Air line tickets online then I think the cost will be around $2900 CDN$. How much the other cost like HOTEL will be approx. Should I use train to travel other countries from Paris. If I go without group then how I can visit many places with guidance. Should I approach travel guide or guide tour or tour bus etc in these countries. I hope in next trip I will have much information and can help many peoples but now I have very little knowledge about this tour and I want to book everything quickly because prices will raise in next year. So I need some quick suggestion and advise so that I could manage this trip efficiently. Again I will be much thankful for your suggestion and guidance.
Old Nov 7th, 2016, 02:55 AM

You have yet to tell us where you want to go in Switzerland...what city or region are you hoping to visit.

Hotel costs vary tremendously depending on area of the city, amenities, budget vs. luxury, etc...you need to state a budget per night for the hotels. Do you want to be in the middle of popular tourist sites? You reference "downtown"...in Venice are you hoping to be near St Mark's, in Paris near the Louvre, near Notre Dame, near the Eiffel Tower....not really any such things as "downtown".

I would book flights, hotels and trains online myself. You might consider a guided tour for certain areas or sites you would like to see in the locations you visit. I wouldn't book the entire trip through a travel agency.

Also, audio tours like the ones on Rick Steves website can walk you through museums and other tourist sites of interest without needing to take a tour everywhere you go. There is an app you can download. You can book tours on his website, if you feel like you can't do this on your own.
https://www.ricksteves.com/tours

City day tours ---you could take a look at Context Tours.
https://www.contexttravel.com/?gclid...a_kBoCJz3w_wcB

Whether you get help here or from a travel agent, you need to educate yourself on what you hope to do and see on your trip...once you do that you will be able to get better advice on hotels etc....you will also not feel so overwhelmed once you narrow down what you want to do.

Your questions are too broad for anyone to really give much advice. I love Paris and Venice (can't help with Switzerland but I know it is expensive). But what I want to see and where I would want to stay in both cities would be quite different than what you may want to see. Are you interested in churches, architecture, museums, etc? What are the must sees for your group? Paris is a good city for parks and other child friendly things to do and you will want to build in some choices that the kids will enjoy.
Old Nov 7th, 2016, 03:04 AM

I think you do not have enough basic knowledge of how to plan a trip to do this on your own or even with our help. How do you plan a trip when or if you travel in Canada?
You could get some travel books from the library like a Fodor's guide and make notes--then come back.
You have too many destinations for the length of time you have. You don't say how much is your budget--as has been mentioned Switzerland is an expensive country comparatively.
Old Nov 7th, 2016, 04:41 AM

For someone like you, visiting a travel agent might be the best approach. You don't necessarily need to go on an all-encompassing tour. The TA can book hotels, transportation and local tours to sights you want to visit.

That may not be the most economical way to go, but given what you told us, it may be best for you.
Old Nov 7th, 2016, 05:37 PM

Well two full week is 16 days - not 10. If all you have is 10 days and with 2 small kids you should stick to 2 places to stay. And you can do a day trip from each if you want. If you have 12 days (not counting the day you arrive or depart) you could push it to 3 places, but that will be rushed with kids.

As for your budget, this looks very tiny for 4 people for 4 days. Don't see how it would stretch to hotels and meals - never mind any sightseeing or taking trains from one city to another.

Suggest you have a look at hotel rates for family rooms for 4 people - they are not going to be US$100 per night unless they are at the end of hell and gone. And although you can eat modestly - for 4 people you have to allow something even if you are willing to do all picnics or eating from street markets.
Old Nov 8th, 2016, 10:56 AM

I don't think the OP ever gave their total budget. They listed what air would cost them but I don't remember seeing the budget for the trip. Isn't 2 weeks 14 days rather than 16 days, nytraveller?
Old Nov 8th, 2016, 12:52 PM

Going on your own is easy and you go where you want and how long, etc.

Bus tours are notorious for early revelries and often give you an ephemeral view of a few highlights in many places - the more places advertised the more folks like it so yes you get a Tuesday it must be Belgium approach often.

Trains are great and as others say you can easily book your own tickets ahead of time and just have to show up for the train.

Some great resources for planning your own European rail trip: www.budgeteuropetravel.com (check their free online European Planning & Rail Guide); www.ricksteves.com and www.seat61.com.

You can meet others your age on trains too- all ages stay in youth hostels these days and they are a great meeting place - hotels tend to be isolating.

If looking for group trips less can be more IMO itinerary wise.
Old Nov 9th, 2016, 05:54 PM

For vacation purposes 2 weeks include 3 weekends which would give you 16 days. Naturally in real time 14 days is two weeks. But when spending all of that money on airfare it's best to get the most out of it by staying as long as possible.