insight bus tour-Switzerland

Aug 7th, 2008, 03:19 PM
Original Poster

insight bus tour-Switzerland

We will be on this tour early September. It is "leisurely", meaning we usually stay 2, sometimes 3 nights at the same hotel.
Does anyone have experience with Insight?
We have done many Globus & Trafalgar bus tours in Europe, but I think Insight is higher end & the hotels we stay at are nicer.
Let me know your experience.
Thanks
Aug 7th, 2008, 04:42 PM

I have, but in Ireland.
I hated that tour.
Too many commercial stops, too many optional add-ons. If you wanted one, it was extra. If not, you cooled your heels waiting for the others to return.

When we got to a really interesting place, we stayed on briefly because we had to go on to the next payoff.

I do Switzerland on my own.
Better that way.
Aug 7th, 2008, 04:54 PM

Hi fleuve,
Last September we took an Insight tour of Country Roads of Bavaria, Switzerland and Austria.
We enjoyed it very much. The hotels were generally good, the inclusions (optional or not) were fine and there was no pressure to take the extras.
My first trip to Switzerland was independent and was easily done but that was 15 years ago and now I appreciate someone else carrying the bags etc.
Enjoy.
Rosemary
Aug 8th, 2008, 07:14 PM

Fleuve, I have done several Insight tours in Europe including one to Switzerland in 2000. It was excellent! This company is a cut above Globus and Trafalgar which are also good. Many travelers on this board are totally opposed to any organized tours. Fine, but they work for me. My experience has been that the optional tours are well worth the expense. Let's face it, we may never pass that way again.

I wish you happy travels!
Aug 8th, 2008, 09:03 PM

I understand you have already booked, and I have not been on an Insight tour, but I do have a comment.

I normally travel independently ,, but I have just returned from a two week Family Europe Tour with Rick Steves.. it was WONDERFUL. We never once had any optional costs.. and we never made any " shopping stops" ( with the associated kick backs the guides get) .. it is also a no tip tour..
It was a " Family " tour, so we had 14 kids in our group of 28 people,, which is exactly why we ( my 12 yr ld daughter and I) took the tour,, in addition to spending 12 days on our own in Paris.. but Rick Steves has normal tours also..

Those who think they " wouldn't like a tour" may be surprised,, this was a great way to see alot in a little time,, and with lots of on your own time..
So I hope you enjoy your tour,, and remember , there are many GOOD tours out there, they are not all bad expereinces( although my MIL did have a bad tour experience with Globus,, go go go and exhausting she said)

PS .. The trip is a good as your attitude, laugh off the inconviences ,, you are going to one of the most beautiful countries in the world,, my daughter has announced she " is moving there after school" ,, and I LOVED Switzeralnd and Austria,, especially after hot, sticky , and frankly, rahter dirty Italy..
Aug 9th, 2008, 02:50 AM
Original Poster

thanks for the responses.
As I mentioned-we have done many Globus & Trafalger tours.
Glad to hear Insight is a cut above .
I agree that others can do the panning & driving. We will just enjoy.
I appreciate the input.
Fleuve