Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Urgent: Lisbon to Newark: Are there ANY flights ???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17th, 2010, 09:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My SIL is supposed to fly from Faro to the UK on Monday. Easy Jet has just cancelled flights for Sunday and this leads me to think Monday's flight might not happen. She has a scheduled flight from London to the US on Wednesday for a visit. As it happens, her father (my FIL) has passed away today and now there will be a funeral to get to.

I did a search and it apears that there are actual flights from Lisbon to Newark -- does anyone know if this is actually true? These flights (TAP and Continental) are marked as "previsto" or expected.

This is such a mess. My nephews were supposed to fly from Faro to London on Friday, but their flight was cancelled. They haven't even been rebooked and don't even know how they are getting home. My BIL has tried to book either the ferry or train, but nothing is available for a couple of weeks.

Any information would be helpful. Thank you so much.
Old Apr 17th, 2010, 09:31 PM

Are you asking if planes are flying this week (who knows) or if flights do exist. There are non-stops from Lisbon to Newark on Continental but it looks like the flights on Wednesday are sold out. The alternate routing is via Frankfurt so that's out (at this point). If you could get a flight (one way) it would be hugely expensive.

I tried to call Continental the other day about baggage charges and they were so overloaded with calls that they didn't even put my call into queue; their system hung up on me.

I realize this doesn't help very much but perhaps you should try to call Continental and speak with an agent and explain you need a bereavement flight. They might try to bump other passengers to accommodate you.
Old Apr 17th, 2010, 10:10 PM

I just looked at the map of the affected areas (NYtimes site) and the cloud is moving farther south. There are significant changes from yesterday morning when I looked.

You also might try flights from Madrid if you can get one.
Old Apr 17th, 2010, 10:24 PM

If the nephews are up for a loooong bus ride, there still seems to be available seats with Eurolines.com from Faro to Paris for €96 o/w on Wednesday. Don't know if that will help to get them across the Channel, though.
Old Apr 18th, 2010, 06:54 AM

pretty much everything is sold out in Europe - notably going to/from the Americas. You can try TAP Portugal air website and see. I just did a quick check - I think everything is sold out until next weekend
Old Apr 18th, 2010, 07:09 AM
Original Poster

We are on the phone with her now. She has exhausted every possibility. No cars, trains, ferries, nothing. We are just numb. Thanks for helping.
Old Apr 18th, 2010, 07:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm so sorry to hear about your situation. Everyone is sitting tight and sometimes there's not a thing you can do. Take a deep breath, and if you've done everything you can, than accept the fact that your nephew may have to stay in Faro a few days longer. There's not much else he can do.
Old Apr 18th, 2010, 07:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have you looked at flying via Morocco?
Old Apr 18th, 2010, 08:10 AM

The flight that I was supposed to work this last Tuesday to London Heathrow is STILL over there and the earliest it looks like it might leave is this Weds.
It was reported today that some of the European airlines are taking out test flights to see if there is a possibility of flying at lower altitudes till they get out of the volcanic debris?
Old Apr 18th, 2010, 01:06 PM

The two major German airlines did couple of flights on lower flight levels, but mostly to get the aircrafts to the proper starting points once this mess clears up.
A German charter airline was able to get one flight from Faro to Northern Germany this afternoon. But that was more luck than a sign of normal procedures. They say they keep the planes and crews at stand-by to use any new window of opportunity.
Until now, Germany has only 2 operating airport, both in Berlin.
Old Apr 18th, 2010, 01:43 PM

Flights available!

I just stumbled over this in the air travel forum.
SATA flies Faro-Boston - and there seem to be still seats available for Friday and Saturday, April 23+24.
From Lisboa there is even one flight on Tuesday, April 20.
Both connection seem to go via the Azores, so should be clear of any cloud issues.

www.sata.pt