Update from Paris

Search

Update from Paris

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21st, 2008, 11:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Update from Paris

Hello all, I am settled now in my apt. at 2 passage du chantier near Bastille, Ledru Rollin metro stop. I love the location as before. I found this apt. from the owner on the internet site franglo. It is 900 euros per month from the owner, no agency fees.

My apt. is tiny but clean, fresh paint and new pergo wood looking floor. It is a studio with kitchen nook and tiny bathroom. It has a click clack bed which is suprisingly very comfortable. Also there is a short but deep tub with very good hot water for long soaks. The only furniture is a round drop leaf table, 2 wooden dining chairs, the click clack and 2 small tables, one taken up by microwave and the other taken by the tv. There are 3 shelves from brackets and wood. The closet if fair size. The tv is still not working but promise for fixing it tomorrow thanks to M. If he was not dealing with Madame I am not sure.

I was told the apt. had all needed for kitchen, however there are two plastic plates, no bowls, a few utensils, 3 tiny glasses, no coffee cups, no wine glasses, and a rusty italien coffee maker, two pots so stained I would not let my dog drink from them. The lamp is barely hanging together by a thread and I would be afraid to plug it in. At first I was angry that anyone could be so stingy. Does she really think this is acceptable. I am furnishing the sheets and towels which I prefer. With the dollar so low I have few choices and it is clean, the bed is comfortable and there is a tub with ample hot water. I went to the weekend brocante at Voltaire and bought vintage beautiful and cheap plates, teapot and teacups. M brought wine glasses and coffee cups from cafe. Monoprix for pots. I bought a nice wicker hamper at Pier Imports to store things and act as bedside table. I am in businesss.

All in all I decided I much prefer to have nothing rather than a lot of useless ugly clutter in my last Paris rental. I brought the rug I bought in Morocco last year and I love it.

In my writings last year I spoke of a cafe that had a fabulous free jazz concert one night and my favorite cafe with shabby chic decor. The cafe for jazz is Le Courant on Fauborg St. Antoine and the shabby chic with wifi is Le 138 on FSA also.

If anyone is interested more in the apt. I will give specific details.

More to come,

gg

Old Apr 21st, 2008, 11:23 AM

Oooohhh. Paris! How long will you be there?
Old Apr 21st, 2008, 12:32 PM

Hi ggnga,

Glad to hear that you're all settled in and like your apartment. What fun to go shopping to pick up some essentials and also to get to enjoy your rug from Morocco!

Did you catch Tod's post re having your GTG at L'Insulaire? Wish I could join you, but to help make the wait until September more bearable, a friend and I just put together a six night trip to Cape Cod in late June. Its not Paris, but.....

Looking forward to more of your posts so I can enjoy the daily Paris living vicariously through you.

Gina

Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 07:25 AM
tod

Hi G, Thanks for the update news from Paris - You seem do do exactly what I would have! I bet you took a deep breath after installing the new stuff and thought "Now that's a bit more like it!"
Trying not to be more excited about Paris than the rest of our two weeks in UK, but it's difficult.
Old May 1st, 2008, 11:41 AM
Original Poster

Hello all, I want to share a restaurant rec. I have eaten at this small charming Italian restaurant several times during my last 2 stays in Bastille area. Also, my friend Luis eats there most Sundays and thinks it is excellent too.

Price is very reasonable, I like the red house wine very much. It is
Restaurant Okey
Cuisine Italienne
Open 7/7, 1200 to 1500 and 1900 to 2330 except for Sunday lunch.
172 rue du Faub. St Antoine 75012
01 43 72 42 45.

Happy travels and good food.

gg