Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

OMG, not another poster looking for Paris restaurant advice......

Nov 7th, 2006, 11:35 AM
Original Poster

Sad, but true. DH and I are headed to the 'mecca' for a quick weekend in December. Since we have limited time, and lots of ground to cover, I like to have reservations in advance. We arrive December 1 and already have a reservation at Marc Singer (and if you have never been you are missing a treat!!!!). So we have Saturday and Sunday. In the past we have eaten at Fish, Le Reminet (a possiblity again), L'Epi Dupin (also a maybe), Bofinger, and so many more to name but you get the idea. So, suggestions for a tried and true place with good food, nice cozy atmosphere for a winter night, good wine, and nice people.
Nov 7th, 2006, 11:41 AM
ira

Hi L,

If you enter <Paris and restaurabts> in the "search this forum" box, you will get many recent threads.

Nov 7th, 2006, 11:52 AM
Original Poster

Hi ira,

Yup I'm doing that and making my list. there are 100s, as we all know.
Nov 7th, 2006, 11:57 AM

http://www.bestrestaurantsparis.com/
You can filter by "exceptional wine cellar"

Patricia Wells says:
ATELIER MAITRE ALBERT
1, rue Maître-Albert, Paris 5.
Telephone: 01 56 81 30 01.
Fax: 01 53 10 83 23
Email: [email protected]

Open for dinner only, Monday through Saturday, until 11:30 weekdays, 1 am weekends. 40 to 45 €. A newish Guy Savoy’s bistro: Very pretty, great service, everything cooked on a rotisserie (great chicken, veal, lamb) and one of the few Paris restaurants with a working fireplace. Good wine list.
Nov 7th, 2006, 12:04 PM

Chez Denise became one of my favorite Paris bistros after my recent trip last month. Famous for their meat, they do fantastic fish dishes as well. Down-home traditional red-checked tablecloth, very friendly service, not expensive. I loved my lunch there and would recommend it. Closed weekends.
Nov 7th, 2006, 01:23 PM

It's essentially your basic bistro, but I like Aux Charpentiers in the 6eme. Their roast chicken is yummy and everyone there is incredibly friendly. I'm not much of a wine expert so I can't speak to that.

Kate
Nov 7th, 2006, 01:40 PM

I just noted this suggestion from someone's trip report for my own trip to Paris this coming February: Restaurant Moissonier on 28 rue des Fosses Saint Bernard in the 5eme. According to the poster, someone at their hotel suggested it, and they were quite pleased with it.
Nov 7th, 2006, 06:24 PM

There are so many lovely restaurants in Paris - and wherever you are staying, there will be some. Our very favorite restaurant was Villa Romana in the 12th, mere minutes (or a one minute walk!) from where we were staying.

Yet, I am sure if we'd stayed somewhere else, we'd have had a different favorite. I can't wait to go back there, though!
Nov 10th, 2006, 03:37 PM

We always stay in an apartment in Paris and because I love to cook, and we enjoy the markets, we don't dine out that often. But when we do, it would most likely be at Atelier Maitre Albert--we enjoy the food, service, ambience. I recommend it!
Nov 10th, 2006, 04:06 PM

Can you tell us about Marc Singer? I cannot find this in my Zagat Paris...Thanks!
Nov 11th, 2006, 09:20 AM
Original Poster

The full name of Marc Singer's restaurant is Cave Gourmand - le Restaurant de Mark Singer. In Zagat's it is under 'C'. He is way out in the 19th. It is like staying in midtown Manhattan and taking the subway to Forest Hills. It was about a 40 minute metro ride from central Paris. The Metro stop - Botzaris - is 2 blocks from his place. Nice residential area, completely safe. If you do a search on this forum, you will find my original review. It is just wonderful and quite a find. And he and his wife are the nicest people!!! Highly recommend it.
Nov 11th, 2006, 02:04 PM

I found this site helpful when looking at dining options. It has practical information and also local reviewers.
http://www.eng.cityvox.fr/restaurants_paris/Restaurants
Nov 11th, 2006, 02:33 PM

First of all I hate that Fodors is such a primitive web site. I typed in this whole thing and then lost it.

Anyway...trying again....
------------

Our favorite restaurant is LA TRUFFIERE. Small, romantic, you're in a wine cellar! Search on here for other reviews. http://www.latruffiere.com/

------------

I will second the above suggestion of ATELIER MAITRE ALBERT. Ate there last summer and LOVED it. All rotisseried (s?) foods. Friendly, fairly large for a French restaurant, but nice atmosphere. Feel free to bring your dog - there was a cutie under the table next to us. http://www.ateliermaitrealbert.com/f...treAlbert.html

----------

I also liked LE MANEGE DE L'ECUYER. Here is a quote from someone else's web site that sums it up nicely: "A lot of my Paris Restaurant favorites are quite personal. My first dinner in Paris was at Le Manège de L'Ecuyer (circa 1981) on Rue de la Sourdière near Rue St. Honoré and Eglise St. Roch...The same charming woman is in the dining room with hubby in the kitchen. There is always a warm embrace and the joy of seeing us once more. It's a nice little menu in a postage stamp sized dining room accommodating about 25 people. Salmon stuffed Raviolis in sauce Mornay and Veal in Cocotte with Salsify are excellent washed down with a house Sancerre Rouge." I will attest tot he friendliness of the owner. She's wonderful. (VERY little English spoken.)

Have fun!
Nov 12th, 2006, 07:55 PM

Thank you, Lori. I had never heard of Cave Gourmand, or Marc Singer. I've been out to Les Allobroges in 20eme so know it is no big deal to go a bit further from the center. Always looking for new places to try for future trips. Thanks again.
Nov 13th, 2006, 05:34 AM

Here's a blog I stumbled across recently. She seems to be featuring Paris restaurants this month.

http://dessertcomesfirst.blogspot.com/