Paris: great restaurant

Oct 7th, 2003, 12:06 PM
Original Poster

Paris: great restaurant

Hi. My boyfriend and I will be in Paris over New Year's (only for 4 days), so I want to know some "must-eat" places. It would be great if there existed such places at reasonable prices, but we'll splurge at least one night anyway. Also, if anyone knows a great place to eat for New Year's eve let me know, because we haven't a clue. Thanks!
Oct 7th, 2003, 12:10 PM

Where are you staying in Paris and what is your budget for this special dinner? Are you willing to spend $50.00 euro per person or $500.00
Oct 7th, 2003, 12:20 PM

I think if there was one restaurant that would give you a true french bistro experience it would be "La Fontaine de Mars", which is located mear the Eiffel Tower in the 7th.

Christina who is your hostess is so welcoming and sher always has a smile. The food is described as "Southwestern French" and the preparation are a beautiful as they are delicious. Service is good, English menus are available and the atmosphere is warm and cozy. Prices range from around $50 a person with wine. If you skip desset and coffee it may come in lower but I warn you their Creme Brulee is the best in Paris!

The entree of Oeuf Meurette which is eggs poached in a red wine, shallot sauce is delicious (best I have had in Paris). For entrees they have fish, meat and their duck breast is always good here. The restaurant also offers a real inexpensive house wine from Cahors.

The address is 129 rue St-Dominique. After dinner you can stroll over and see the Eiffel tower at night!

Be sure to book in advance so you aren't disappointed.
Oct 7th, 2003, 12:23 PM
Original Poster

Pat, I am almost positive we'll be staying in the 5th, right across the river from Notre Dame. Definitely NOT willing to spend 500 euro on this dinner! Maybe, maybe 500 for the 2 of us, but that's really pushing it. We have 10 days in Belgium after Paris, so I don't want to blow everything for one dinner in Paris. Certainly there are one or two great CHEAP places? I would say, no point in giving me restaurants that will be more than 200 or 300 euros total. Also, everyone has been telling me to book way in advance. How can I find out what special menu or activities restaurants are planning for NYEve?
Oct 7th, 2003, 12:33 PM

Hi
Unlike where I live (New York) many bistros in Paris will just serve their regular menus on New Year's Eve, without 200 e surcharges for party hats.
A couple of the hotel restaurants are very special: Les Ambassadeurs in the Crillon, and Le Cinq in the George V, both very highly related and very expensive. I'll bet they'd be happy to fax you menus--helps to get a price idea, but for two I'd plan on the 500.

My favorite little place is Chez Julien, right bank, near L'Hotel de Ville. Plan on 100-140 euro for two.
They have a prix fixe menu that costs a little less. Charming decor, homey service, very good food.

Once you come up with some itdeas, your hotel would be happy to book some tables for you.

Do a search in the little text box near the top of this page on Paris restaurant. Also, at the very top of this page, click on Restaurants and go to the Paris section. Lots of recommendations with comments from customers.

Since you have a high budget for restaurants I'm guessing you enjoy spending on great meals. You might want, even for just 4 days, to buy or borrow Patricia Wells's book on the Bistros of Paris, or else the Paris Zagat guide which has ratings from customers.
Oct 7th, 2003, 01:15 PM
JES

I'm going to cut and post a former posting of mine:

My husband and I were just there for a night and had the most fabulous meal at Le Poulbot (2 rue Poulbot 0144830335) in Monte Martre. It is the most adorable place and every single thing we ordered was outstanding. Escargot, beef Bourguignon, a mixed fish dish my husband ordered....all soo delicious. The menu is hand written in French so if you don't know it, it can be fun to guess. You can't go wrong.
You can't miss the place as the outside is so quaint, covered with flowers and greenery.

Oct 7th, 2003, 04:01 PM
mjs

If you do not mind having your dining experience for lunch instead of dinner you can get a very nice fixed price meal at many Michelin starred restaurants for E50 to E70 a person plus drinks. Good wine can be had for less than E50/bottle. Le Cinq, Grand Vefour and Lucas Carton come to mind. Dinner will be much much much more expensive and your boyfriend will get the menu with the prices.
Oct 7th, 2003, 04:03 PM
mjs

Forgot to add, check the latest Michelin guide for prices for these types of restaurants.
Oct 7th, 2003, 11:02 PM

There are so many fantastic places to eat in Paris, it's hard to know where to start. Firstly, don't feel that you have to spend a lot to eat well. You can eat extremely well for 30 euros a head plus another 25 for decent wine. Some of my favourite, untouristy places include le Galopin, on rue Notre Dame des Victoires, in the 2nd arrondissement (opposite the Bourse) - great traditional brasserie, still has its original copper and wood décor from the 19th C, and a beautifully lit "stained glass" room at the back; La Grille du Montorgueil, on rue Montorgueil (pedestrian street behind les Halles) - great home cooking, usually very generous with their portions - expect traditional French food - menu changes every day; Chez Marianne, on rue Hospitalières St Gervais in the Marais - a Jewish-Mediterranean deli-cum-restaurant; Chez Toinette on rue Germain Pilon in the 18th (Montmartre) - probably my favourite restaurant in Paris. Small, friendly, delicious!

As for New Years Eve, last year, friends of mine celebrated at the Pause Cafe on rue de Charonne in the 11th - near Bastille. They had a special prix fixe menu for 100 euros (on "normal" days it's much cheaper) which included champagne. It's quite a trendy restaurant, usually attracts a fairly young crowd - an excellent place to party on NYE!

I would strongly recommend buying the Timeout Guide to Eating and Drinking in Paris, when you arrive in the city. It costs about 8 euros, and can be found at most news-stands and bookshops. It's a regularly updated English guide to the main restaurants, cafés, bars and clubs in Paris, divided up into sections (vegetarian, budget, brasseries, pubs...) and I found it to be invaluable when I lived there.
Oct 8th, 2003, 07:35 AM
Original Poster

MJS--I like the boy getting the menu w/ prices idea! kidding. Hanl, thanks for your cheap eats tips. Will definitely try and check them out.
Oct 8th, 2003, 07:46 AM
Original Poster

Also, MJS, planning to eat at bistros for lunch, wherever we happen to be sightseeing each day, so probably won't be making a fuss over any lunches. Unfortunately this may hinder our opportunities to visit places like Le Cinq...alas, the boyfriend isn't a foodie

Search this Thread