Question for Travelnut- about Hotel Mr Pickwick

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29th, 2003, 09:39 AM
JN
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question for Travelnut- about Hotel Mr Pickwick

Dear TravelNut,
Earlier in the year you posed a Question about Hotel Mr. Pickwick in Luzern. Did you end up staying there? If so, how was it?

The Des Alpes does not let rooms for May, yet, and we have a back up reservation at the Pickwick. My spouse is a bit leery of the latter. Any info/advice you can give would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old Oct 7th, 2003, 06:11 AM
JN
Original Poster

thought I'd top and try one more time
Old Oct 7th, 2003, 06:21 AM

I'm not Travelnut, and I didn't stay at the Mr. Pickwick, but I will say one thing about that place. They have a large, very loud bar filled with inebriated Brit tourists until the wee hours. Being next door to that is the only drawback to the Des Alpes.
Old Oct 7th, 2003, 07:58 AM

Hi... I changed our hotel from Pickwick to the Goldener Stern... I got 'hinky' about the few comments on Pickwick, all mentioning the bar downstairs (which is very nice BTW). Also, they do not offer breakfast, so we'd have to go out for first coffee etc... I like to 'wake up' by having coffee in the hotel, go back to room to finish organizing, before leaving hotel for the day's activities.
The Goldener Stern was perfectly adequate and clean. They have a restaurant on premises, although we only ate the breakfast there. Our twin room was 135Sfr incl. breakfast. The furnishings are very plain, but beds were comfy. The ensuite was a shower (don't know if they have bathtubs in other rooms). I left the window open a tad and the church bells (Franciscan Church directly across street) were a little disturbing, more to hubby than me - depends on how soundly you sleep. That is the only small caviat, otherwise it was nice.
The location was fine, also - about 0.8 mile from Bahnhof, a quick walk across bridge to the old town etc. Not the least inconvenient.
Another inexpensive option I would try would be the Hotel Roesli.
http://www.roesli.ch/
It would be on same side as G.S., but closer to river.
Old Oct 7th, 2003, 02:18 PM

raising for JN . . .
Old Oct 7th, 2003, 08:34 PM

Not only is the bar filled with "inebrieated Brits" but the hotel is too. We were next door at Des Alpes (which I'd wait for if I were you) and heard stories of up to 10 guys sharing rooms at Pickwick.
Old Oct 8th, 2003, 08:15 AM
JN
Original Poster

Thanks again, folks. Patrick--your post has convinced me to wait for an opening elsewhere. 10 fun-loving "Yutes" (cf. "My Cousin Vinnie&quot to a room is more than I'd like to deal with.