Hotel questions Amsterdam/Belgium?

Nov 12th, 2006, 08:21 AM
Original Poster

Hotel questions Amsterdam/Belgium?

Flying into Amsterdam and out of Brussels. Looking for hotels around $200 or so in city centers. Don't mind 5 minute walk.

Amsterdam:
Brugg:
Brussels:

Would greatly appreciate your help!
Nov 12th, 2006, 09:30 AM

5 minute walk from what to what? From your hotel to a mass transit (tram, metro, bus) stop? 5 minutes to shops or restaurants?
Amsterdam and Brussels are fairly spread out. You can't be 5 minutes from ALL the sights...so which ones? Even in Bruges, which is more compact, it will still take more than 5 minutes to walk from the main square to some of the other sights.
Also, what's your style preference...small, quaint? Classic? Trendy? What services do you want--for example, would you like the hotel to have a bar and/or restaurant on-site? What kind of internet connection do you need, if any?
Nov 12th, 2006, 09:35 AM

In Amsterdam, I strongly prefer some of the neighborhoods away from what would be considered the "city center". That area around the train station, the Dam, RLD, is not so pretty. A bit out in the canal rings, Leidseplein, Vondelpark is much more beautiful and still very convenient.
Nov 12th, 2006, 10:50 AM
Original Poster

I was looking at Hotel Fita? Have you heard of this hotel? It seems to get nice reviews, I just don't want to be far away from restarants and shops!
Nov 12th, 2006, 11:01 AM

I do not know Fita but it does seem to get consistent good reviews. Amsterdam is large and dense. You won't be far from shops or restaurans in many many neighborhoods. It does not have to be the actual "city center" in this case.
Nov 12th, 2006, 01:04 PM
MaureenB

We stayed in a fabulous location in Amsterdam, at The Hotel Residence le Coin, which was directly across a small street from the Hotel de líEurope, down the street from the Hotel Doelan, on Nieuwe Doelenstraat (sp?). A great neighborhood in the heart of old Amsterdam. Easy walk to most sites.

The hotel has a lift and A/C and in-floor heat, also free use of the hotelís washing machine and clothes dryer in the basement. Each room has a little kitchenette, a nice-sized bath, large rooms with wooden floors and a sitting area. Itís fairly new, so everything sparkles. Very friendly front desk, too.

I'd recommend it highly. Not fancy, but nice. It occupies about six transformed rowhouses.
>-

Nov 12th, 2006, 01:53 PM
Original Poster

Maureen and all, Thanks!!! Like Le Coin... How about Brussels hotels?

johnb
Nov 12th, 2006, 04:07 PM

Hi, I stayed at the Hotel 't Zand in Bruges. It is on the pedestrian square. Newly remodeled, great breakfast and a nice restaurant. We paid 60 euro for a single. I think they have suites on the upper floors.
Nov 12th, 2006, 08:41 PM

What dates are you going to do this? For Amsterdam, try the Amsterdam American. It's on the Leidseplein and lots of restaurants and it's the happening place in AMS. Museums, if you do em, a couple of blocks away. A little on the expensive side but you can get a great room in your price range using the discounts sites. Just type in Amsterdam hotels in Google. You'll get sites like bookings.NL and hotels.NL. Tram stop on the Plein gets you North towards Centraal station with stops at the Dam and palace nearby. For Brugge, highly recommend Hotel Ter Reien,http://www.hotels-belgium.com/brugge/terreien.htm Get a room on the canal and maybe 10 minute walk to the central square. Good breakfast also. Brussels, no recommendations, never stayed there.
Nov 12th, 2006, 09:10 PM

In Brussels we stayed at the Hilton Brussels Hilton Centre. It was across from a Sheraton, and just a 5-10 minute walk from/to the train station (north?). Sorry I don't recall all the details. Anyway, the hotel was reasonable (99 euros per room at spring break) and had a terrific breakfast. The hop-on hop-off bus stops right across the street at the Sheraton. The Grande Place is a short (ten or so minutes) walk away. And there's a Chinese restaurant a block away (toward the train station.)

In Amsterdam we stayed at the NH City Center. I can't remember the street but it was a good neighborhood for restaurants and conveniently located, close to the floating market. The breakfast wasn't as good as in Brussels, but it was okay. The rooms were spacious.

Nov 13th, 2006, 05:41 AM

Hi johnb,

We stayed at the Doelen in Amsterdam last month and were very pleased.

We had four 4th floor rooms, two with canal views. They were nicely decorated, not huge, but plenty big.

Breakfast was really really good--including Champagne, some of which we actually drank on our last morning.

In Brugge, we stayed at the Hotel Aragon. We were upgraded to suites--four of them!

The suites were really apartments, with a bedroom with big bed (the two-twins-pushed-together type), living room area with Murphy bed, sofa bed, dining table and chairs, kitchen with range, refrigerator, and microwave, another little room with a sofa bed, and very nice bathroom.

We really enjoyed all that space, especially when all four couples gathered for drinks before going out for dinner everyday.

I have no idea why we were upgraded, but we accepted with pleasure!

http://tinyurl.com/adm9t (I hope this is the Doelen website)

http://www.aragon.be/info/index.html

Byrd