Update: finalizing itenerary in Madrid and Barcelona for 10 days

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16th, 2011, 09:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had posted a few itenerary help requests earlier and wanted to let folks know what we had finally decided.

(F) Arrive: 8:15am Madrid, check-in and drop off luggage. Grab lunch/take nap. Check out the Prado later in the afternoon. Head to Retiro Park/Real Jardin before getting dinner. Have an early night.

(Sa): Visit the Palacio Real (opens at 9am) and Cathedral next door. Later walk down to the Plaza Mayor and/or Puerto del Sol for lunch. Finish off the day with a visit to the Reina Sofia. Catch a flamenco show that evening.

(Su): Head out to Toledo for the day. Do museums early on as they close from 2-4 for lunch. Stay for dinner? (Toledo is supposed to be very nice in the evening after most tourists have gone). Need to check on bus/train timetable.

(M): Head out to Segovia (maybe also Avila) for the day.

(Tu): Visit the Thyssen-Bornemisza museum. Take mid-afternoon AVE to Barcelona. Check in and drop off luggage. Dinner and drinks before calling it a day.

(W): Start the day in Park Guell. Head down to Sagrada Familia. End the day with a walk down La Rambla/Manzana de la Discordia to the old royal shipyards and Maritime Museum. Does anyone know anything about this museum? My husband was intrigued, but me not so much

(Th): Stroll through Gothic quarters. Quick stop at Museu de historia Barcelona. Continue on by Barcelona cathedral, Roman walls, Iglesia de Santa Maria del Mar and end at the Museu Picasso. This is based on a lonelyplanet travel guide that suggested these stops on a same day walking tour. Any idea how this might work out time wise?

(F): Head out to Tarragona or Figueres/Empuries for the day. Any feedback on either location?

(Sa): Head out to Monte Serrat for the day.

(Su): Castle of Montjuic? Depart mid-afternoon on AVE for Madrid (we are flying in and out of Madrid).

(M): Depart Madrid 9:30am

A few notes: we will be using airbnb for all accomodations except our last night when we will stay in the hostal adria santa ana. What do y'all think?
Old Jun 16th, 2011, 06:54 PM

I would say that to miss the Museo Nacional de Arte de Cataluña is a sin. Located in Montjuic.
Old Jun 16th, 2011, 07:59 PM

I lived in Barcelona for 10 years and the Maritime museum is much more interesting then you can probably imagine! I myself am not extremely interested in boats, sea navigation and such, but I found the museum quite intriguing. Unfortunately, I just found out on the museum's web site that the permanent exhibition space is closed as they are renovating the whole museum. So, you can take that out of the menu of possibilities. But, please look in to it for next time!

I also second Graziella's comment above about the Museo Nacional de Arte de Cataluña. You definitely should work this in to your itinerary. The Gothic and Romanesque sections are true gems. Poke around the web site to see if it's something you'd enjoy: http://www.mnac.cat.

Another very interesting exhibition space is right at the base of this same area, next to the large fountain. It's called CaixaForum. All the exhibitions are free and you can usually find something of interest almost anyone's taste. I swear I went there almost monthly. The web is: http://obrasocial.lacaixa.es/nuestro...celona_en.html

Anyway, I could go on and on and on about Barcelona, but will leave it at that. You will not be at loss for wonderful things to do in one of Europe's most fascinating cities.

Have a great trip!
Old Jun 16th, 2011, 11:56 PM

The MNAC is closed for renovations up to the end of June. Quite a few of their works were shown this spring in the Fundación Mapfre in Madrid for free.

It was quite a treat !

Cova
Old Jun 17th, 2011, 07:21 AM

most hotels will not let you check in until the afternoon.
Visiting Prado - a huge museum - while jet-lagged would not be my choice.
Mart. museum on Barcelona was closed for a long time ( not sure about now. There is a fantastic navel museum in Madrid ( next to Prado)
Instead of Tarragona, you might visit Girona / Figueres ( same train line, 1/2 hour apart) Walk down Passeig de Garcia and pass by ( if you don't have time to visit)
two famous Gaudi buildings Casa Mila and Casa Batllo
Another "must see' in Barcelona is Palau de Musica Catalana.
Old Jun 17th, 2011, 07:45 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Too bad the Barcelona maritime museum is closed, it was really interesting in the beautifully restored medieval shipyards.

The Museu d'Història de la Ciutat de Barcelona is fascinating, make sure your quick visit includes a walk through the underground Roman ruins, which is the most interesting part of the museum.

The Manzana de la Discordia is not on Las Ramblas but on Passeig de Gracia, north of the Placa Catalunya, so the walk you describe would start there and then go down Las Ramblas. You may realize this, but I was not clear, reading your description.
Old Jun 17th, 2011, 07:55 AM

just a block from P. de Gracia is beautiful street : Rambla de Catalunya - worth a stroll.
La Rambla is a touristy, unattractive street. IMO
Old Jun 17th, 2011, 11:19 AM

I highly recommend going inside Casa Mila and Casa Battlo & doing the audio guided tour if you have the time. Casa Battlo, especially, was our favorite.
Also visit La Cascada, a gorgeous fountain with winged statues, cherubs, etc. Definitely worth it. Located in Parc de la Ciutadella near the Born/Ribera neighborhood.

I second the recommendation to visit Girona, just an hour from Barcelona. We spent 2 nights there & loved it. Didn't have time to see Figueres. Costa Brava and Cadaques are other excellent choices, too.
Old Jun 18th, 2011, 05:01 AM

Another vote for Girona, a short train trip, take the MD, that is MEDIA DISTANCIA trains, and notice that they stop in Paseo de Gracia. Do not have to use SANTs Station unless it is more convenient.