Search

UNIWORLD

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27th, 2002, 10:12 AM
Dolores

UNIWORLD

Hello,<BR><BR>Hubby and I will be on a Uniworld 16 day Russian river cruise next Sept. 14th -- Moscow to St. Petersburg.<BR><BR>We would love to hear from anyone who has taken this or a similar trip with Uniworld.<BR><BR>Thanks for any help!<BR><BR>Dolores<BR><BR>

Old May 15th, 2002, 10:32 AM
Barbara

Dear Delores,<BR><BR>Haven't taken the trip yet. Scheduled for September 2nd, so I'm very interested in any replys also. We're going with Uniworld.<BR><BR>Hope you get some replies.<BR><BR>Barb

Old May 16th, 2002, 08:01 AM
Jan

I, for one, will be happy to share my experience with you upon my return in early June. We are leaving next Tues (5/21) to take this Uniworld cruise aboard the Tolstoy.

Old Jun 9th, 2002, 09:54 AM
Jan

Just returned from Uniworld’s 14-day “Waterways of the Czars” Moscow to St Petersburg cruise aboard the Tolstoy. For anyone contemplating or anticipating this trip, I want to report that it was a fantastic adventure. Though I’m an avowed independent traveler, this seemed a great way to see Russia – and it was. The chance to visit not just the 2 major cities, but also the smaller cities/villages in between, was one major attraction – and each stop turned out to be unique. Another plus was the unbeatable advantage of unpacking only once and not thinking of baggage in between. Uniworld staff on board was friendly and helpful, accommodations were excellent (we did opt for a suite so cannot comment on cabins), food was very good. One word of caution: We thought we were doing a relatively unusual trip, but were astounded by the number of cruise ships at every pier and tour buses at major sights – be prepared for crowds and long lines; souvenir stands and hawkers galore. But plenty of quality goods to bring home if you want. Take more US dollars than you think you’ll need. You may find an ATM in Moscow but after that there’s not one until St Pete, and credit card purchases when possible sometimes carry a surcharge. Another caution: be prepared for LOTS of walking and climbing staircases. Except for the most athletically inclined, this is a strenuous trip. Would be glad to answer any specific questions (with my opinion at least)

Old Jun 9th, 2002, 11:39 AM
Dolores

Jan,<BR><BR>Thank you for a fantastic post!!! First-hand information is invaluable.<BR><BR>Dolores

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 01:58 PM
Gary

The Tolstoy and the Litvinov are both Orthadox Crise Line ships that are used by Uniworld. Sometimes Uniworld has the complete ship, othertimes it is shared with other cruise companies. I did a trip on the Litvinov from Rostov-on-Don to Moscow. I found the ship to be well run, very clean. The staff was excellent. The shore excursions were very good, always with some walking but those who did not want to walk could stay on the bus. Most of the visits to the towns would allow time for those who wanted to go off exploring by them selves. Plenty of cultural activities and entertainment on the ship. We enjoyed it so much that we will be returning in Oct to do the cruise from St Petersburg to Moscow and then Moscow to Rostov.

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 09:10 AM
Douglas

We will be on the Tolstoy in early July. Does the ship provide soap and shampoo?<BR><BR>Also upon arrival in Moscow we will be staying one night at the Moscow Aerostar Hotel. Upon completion of the cruise we will be staying in the Hotel Baltschug Kempinski. Does anyone know if these hotels provide soap and shampoo?<BR><BR>Thank you. Any other thoughts would be appreciated. I know spending varies from person to person but what is the minimum in US cash we should take?

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 10:50 AM
Jimbo

No soap, no toilet paper - take a suuitcase full, maybe you can sell it.<BR>Food is also still scarce - better take some!!

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 08:25 PM
upup

tt