Reload this Page >

Swimming the English Channel?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26th, 2002, 04:09 PM
agnes

I've been thinking about swimming the English channel. Do you know how many miles or kilometers (I can do the math) it is from England to France? <BR>Should I do the sidestroke or the American crawl (or would that be the English or French crawl in Europe?) Do you suggest a one piece suit or a bikini? Would a thong be appropriate or too racy with the media attention I will receive? How about a bathing cap? <BR><BR>Does anyone know the average h20 temperature in April? And, do you think two weeks is enough time to prepare for this endeavor? I haven't been swimming in 15 years, but I am thinking it's like riding a bike. Also, is the channel chlorinated? I don't want to get dirty. <BR>Should I wear reflective gear or a beacon of light to warn the approaching vessels? I have been told that there are pirhana's in the waters, but I think people are just pulling my leg. Lastly, I'll be really tired when I get to Calais...so, can anyone recommend a good hotel or friend's home where I can seek refuge from the crazy world.<BR><BR>wish me luck,<BR>agnes

Old Mar 26th, 2002, 04:41 PM
sam

The english channel is approximately 986 kms. What a silly question about the particular type of swimming style. I think YOU can figure that out for yourself. As far as the suit is concerned, I would recommend a one piece as the water gets very cold once the sun sets. Some times it gets as cold as 20 degrees farenheit at night in April (or so I've been told). However, I think a thong would be approproate during the day and especially for the media attention. Europeans are much less inhibited than Americans and I think they would fancy a racy outfit. The cap is optional. It might help to keep the hair out of your eyes and to prevent damage from the chlorine. <BR>Honestly you must be crazy if you think you can prepare for a channel crossing in two weeks; you will need at least 3 and a half. The reflective gear is definitely a must as there are many ferry and cruise ships that cross at night, not to mention the hovercrafts during the day. If you get hit by one of those, you can kiss your sweet axx goodbye. If a vessel is approaching fast and doesn't seem to notice your beacon, et al, the best course of action would be to scream loudly. It will be in your best interest to learn some French phrases before you leave, for example SOS, Mayday, help, I love pomme frites, or similar things of that nature. <BR>Good luck and may god be with you,<BR>Sam<BR>P.S. My friend Chuck has a place in Lyon if you can make it that far. You can reach him at 011 058 230 7742 694.

Old Mar 26th, 2002, 04:47 PM
mjs

The hard part of the channel swim is that, if you leave from England, you have to swim on the left until you reach French territory and then you have to swim on the right.<BR><BR>

Old Mar 26th, 2002, 04:53 PM
agnes

Thanks so much for the info!! That will really help me out. You're a really cool guy to help me out like this. I would hate to get a ticket.

Old Mar 26th, 2002, 05:18 PM
Alec

If this isn't a troll, I remind Agnes that the Strait of Dover (narrowest in the English Channel) is also one of the busiest shipping lanes in the world. If you don't succomb to cold, high waves or exhaustion, the passing mega tankers, ferries and catamerans will certainly bring your venture to an early end. Seriously, cross-channel swimmers have to get permission from coast guards and be accompanied by a pilot boat to warn the passing ships of your presence and be in constant radio contact with caost guards. If you are serious about your venture, first read the info by channel swimmers association at www.chanelswimmer.net

Old Mar 27th, 2002, 03:47 PM
AGGIE

How dare you imply that I am a troll--I am a hobbit, there is a big difference. I cannot wait for my journey. With your advice, I have decided to allow myself three weeks and two days to train so that I may build up my mussels. <BR>Do you know if there is much urine in the Channel? I guess it does not matter since there is chlorine in there. I just hope nobody has done a # 2 (REMEMBER CADDYSHACK).<BR><BR>THANKS to all the kind souls out there who assisted with the planning of this event, may dog be with you.<BR><BR>XOXO,<BR>Aggie Mae Haggus

Old Mar 27th, 2002, 04:49 PM
sarah

Aggie, give it up. Nobody is that stupid. I hate TROLLS!!!

Old Mar 27th, 2002, 06:03 PM
Lisa

Sarah, you are one realy mean gal. I can't believe you think Aggie is not serious about the little English channel excursion. You would probably rather sit around and watch the Home Shopping Channel than improve yourself by swimming this little swim. I say "You Go Grill" and may the spirits above look down upon you with knowing eyes and smiling hearts. Amen sister.

Old Mar 27th, 2002, 06:46 PM
mark

I would wait until January when it freezes over and then walk (or bike) across.

Old Mar 27th, 2002, 06:58 PM
aggie

OMG!!!! the famous Mr. Spitz responded to my post! Yeehaa! Mr. spitz, why are you telling me to bike--you are the best swimmer there ever was so you should be able to understand my desire to do this. By the way, are you available to train me soon? I need to build up my mussels. Give me your address and/or phone number and email and I will send you some clippings of my journey.<BR><BR>Love,<BR>Aggie

Old Mar 27th, 2002, 07:08 PM
Lina

Don't forget your passport as you will need it upon arrival in France. Where will you carry it? Fanny pack or hidden wallet thing? I would suggest you wear a wet suit but don't get a blue jean one - you know that will make you stand out as an American in France for sure. So get a black one. Don't forget a scarf though. We must be fashionable!

Old Mar 27th, 2002, 07:19 PM
aggie

Thanks Lina for your reply!! You know, I hadn't even thought about where I would keep my passport or wallet or anything. I realize these things are important and would not do well in the water, but you know, I just forgot. Even in a wetsuit I don't know if I'll have room for the passport. Do you think it would hold up if I were to laminate it? (I don't know much about laminating things.) I will wear a black suit, no matter which kind I end up wearing, because I do want to be fashionable. After all my skin will be all wrinkled and so my wardrobe will be all I have to recommend myself. Why is it that black is so chick in Paris? I've heard they are unfriendly people who never smile or wear colours. Is this true? I have a red jumper, will I really stand out if I wear it? Do people wear all black at night? How do the cabs spot them? I don't want to spend three weeks training, days and days in the cold water, just to get hit by a cab my first night out. Thanks again for all your help!<BR>Aggie

Old Mar 27th, 2002, 11:55 PM
DeliaS

Aggie:<BR>After building up your "mussels", maybe you should try cooking them...yummy!!

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 03:42 AM
british bulldog

Watch out for the Brighton floaters

Old Mar 31st, 2002, 03:49 PM
aggie

thanks for all the responses <BR>I've gotten. I want to clear up the misnomer that I'm a troll. I'm not. Some of my questions may seem silly, but I'm silly. I'm not very smart, but my sister-in-law had a dream to run the boston marathon and so I decided I needed a dream. I chose swimming the english Challen because I've heard it is one of the smallest salt-water crossings in the world. I have started my training and my instructor says I'll need about 6 months to prepare. Wow, did I misjudge that or what? Anyway, thanks for your help except those of you that called me a troll. <BR>Aggie

Old Mar 31st, 2002, 04:04 PM
StCirq

Aggie: If you can do the logistics, it might be best to swim from France to England instead of the other way round. Goose fat is so hard to find in the UK, and it's really the best emollient and protection for the skin. If you start in England, you're going to have to use lard or salad cream, and that can really weigh you down.

Old Mar 31st, 2002, 08:24 PM
Lina

Aggie: You know people here on the Fodor's boards are fond of ziploc bags. I would suggest that you place your passport in a ziploc bag and zip it up inside your wet suit along with other essentials such as black high heel shoes, atm card, extra euros, essential make up items, snacks - I would think fish and chips with a side of mushy peas would be lovely for lunch and perhaps a thermos of tea. Cucumber sandwiches for late afternoon (if you don't eat them you can always use the cucumbers on your eyelids after you get out of that nasty saltwater).<BR><BR>Ta ta

Old Apr 1st, 2002, 08:27 PM
aggie

Lina,<BR>Thanks so much, but I will not be taking any snacks with me. I plan to have an energy bar before I depart and I will take a fishing pole with me on my journey. I am an excellent fisher. The ziploc bags might be helpful for my bounty, however. I plan to save some of my catch for my arrival and then feast on some delicious sushi. Do you suggest that I eat a large meal before I leave, or will that weigh me down? Maybe I'll just have a banana and some yogurt and then while I'm swimming I'll break out a Lunchable--the kind with the crackers, cheese, and pizza sauce--YUMMY.

Old Apr 1st, 2002, 09:20 PM
wtite

aggie,<BR>i LOVE lunchables, but i don't know if they have them in europe. You might want to take them with you. As far as the meal I would definitely suggest a light meal with frequent snack breaks. Oh, and by the way, you shouldn't bother trying to fit your high heels in your wet suit. That would be painful and you can have your assistants carry your baggage for you.

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 07:21 PM
Lina

Aggie: No need for a fishing pole; just tie a line to your big toe. Course, those high heels could do extra duty as a fish spear. Wait until they swim by and WHAM. Lunch.<BR><BR>Are there sharks in the English channel? This would be critical to know information.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -