River tour Moscow to St Petersburg

Aug 25th, 2002, 02:52 PM
Joe

River tour Moscow to St Petersburg

Considering 16 day tour May-June 2003,Would Uniworld be a good choice, any particular boat? would appreaciate your imput,
Thank You
Joe

Aug 25th, 2002, 02:57 PM
Marc David Miller

Do a subject search under "Russia" above and you will see many comments about the river cruises. I would warn that from 15 May-5 June is not a good time to be in St. Petersburg next year (300th Anniversary Celebrations will make a mess of traffic in the city, and this is the worst period).

Aug 25th, 2002, 03:17 PM
Gary

Have a look at http://www.cruise.ru

Aug 25th, 2002, 06:32 PM
btdt

Check out this url for a review of Uniworld's cruise:

http://www.cruisereviews.com/misc/Tolstoy.htm

Aug 26th, 2002, 10:30 AM
Larry

My wife and I took the Uniworld cruise with the Leo Tolstoy and througly enjoyed it...I would disregard most of everything Mr. McCahan (www.cruisereviews.com/misc/Tolstoy.htm)
had to say about the trip on the Tolstoy. The food was great, the toilets always worked and the Uniworld staff were always helpful. If they couldnt provide an answer right at the time you asked it, they would find you later and provide the info...In the cruiserreview report it was made mention of the ship always being late here or there...What wasnt mentioned was that the ship goes through 18 locks on the trip and at times you have to wait till other ships pass before your turn...so naturally that may put you behind on a schedule...My advise is to take the cruise, it's great and you will remember it for a long time...

Aug 26th, 2002, 12:09 PM
Gary

If you think it is going to be like one of the luxury Ocean Cruises with with all the shows, bars and fancy foods - for get it. What you will get is a very casual crise, no elevators, no fancy dress required and you will see many sights and you will not be dollared out with all the not includeds. Go for it, you will enjoy.

Aug 26th, 2002, 02:24 PM
Karen

Unlike the other commenter, I would take a cruise during the 300th anniversary of SPb precisely BECAUSE of that special occasion. Yes, the city will be crowded, but you will have the luxury of a place to stay (on your boat) and prearranged tours. (The folks who want to go but can't get plane/hotel reservations are the UNlucky ones.) "The" date is May 23.

Also, SPb has been undergoing major restorations/renovations for the past several years in preparation for this--including NEW sidewalks on Nevksy Prospect (hell for last year's tourists, walking in the street).

I'm sure they'll be a wonderful parade on Nevsky Prospect.

I plan to be living in SPb November 2002-August 2003, in large part to be there for the 300th anniversary.

Aug 26th, 2002, 02:43 PM
joe

Thanks for your imput, you have all been very helpful.
Joe

Aug 26th, 2002, 03:30 PM
Gofor

I was in St Petersburg for the 299 anniversary, it was crowded but everyone was having a great time. Do it if you can.

Aug 26th, 2002, 03:45 PM
Fred

We took a Uniworld Cruise to Russia 2 years ago and loved it. Staff is extremely helpful and professional. When we visited St.Petersburg we were dissapointed at the condition of many of the buidings. Perhaps they will be "cleaned up" for the 300 anniversary.
Fred

Sep 5th, 2002, 01:24 PM
sheba

Just got back from a Viking River cruise and would highly recommend it.